Hancock County (x-post from GRE thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvfd198

Premium Subscriber
Hancock County

Sorry - I didn't realize X-posting was wrong. I have removed this post (but I couldn't figure out how to remove the thread). Admin - delete the thread if you can.

Last edited:

budevans

Ok, so our dept (& all depts in the county) have to have our MARCS radios back at the station one day next week because they are reprogramming them all. They told us that after Feb 11th(?) we wouldn't be able to use them if we hadn't had them re-done.

I have a GRE PSR-500 that I was able to reband last time. Does anyone know what I need to do this time?

Thanks in advance

Are they prepping the radio's for the move from MARCS to MARCS-IP?

mvfd198

Premium Subscriber
Are they prepping the radio's for the move from MARCS to MARCS-IP?

Yes, per one of our radio people in the county:

"Yes, it is putting all Marcs radios to be Marcs-IP which in effect makes them 100% digital instead of starting out analog and converting them to digital. Also they will all be on 700 mhz band which all public safety in the USA are going to be on."

I just did the reband in December because we were off the department for a while, so I am just wondering what else I am going to need to do this time.

budevans

Yes, per one of our radio people in the county:

"Yes, it is putting all Marcs radios to be Marcs-IP which in effect makes them 100% digital instead of starting out analog and converting them to digital. Also they will all be on 700 mhz band which all public safety in the USA are going to be on."

I just did the reband in December because we were off the department for a while, so I am just wondering what else I am going to need to do this time.

Adding MARCS-IP to your PSR-500 is relatively easy with most software packages. I use WIN 500.

You create the new MARCS-IP Trunk System, select P25 Auto for the system type, enter the control channel and alternate control channel (freq's). Then enter your Talk Groups and any Wild Card's (Talk Group and/or Private Group). Your done.

That's it, really straight forward. No band plans required, P25 handles that.

Just an FYI: no body is forcing Public Safety to 700 Mhz. In fact more than a few MARCS-IP sites are operating on the 800 Mhz band. Plus there are still many Public Service agencies remaining on UHF and VHF conventional analog repeater systems.

mvfd198

Premium Subscriber
I used WIN 500 in Dec when I had to reband. I will use your instructions to try to update it again.

Do you think I can do it now, or do I have to wait until they make the change for the county? They're not changing all our radios at the same time, so there must be some overlap, wouldn't you think?

Thanks!
Beth

P.S. Bud, I may be looking for you again if I can't make this work!!! :)

phask

Premium Subscriber
There is no re-banding on MARCS IP. As ised in this vernacular it's assigning new bandplans (non-standard) and different freqs.

I'd go ahead and do it- there still will be some changes before end of March when it fully rolls out.

I guess it also depends if that is all you listen too or some other "stuff".

budevans

I used WIN 500 in Dec when I had to reband. I will use your instructions to try to update it again.

Do you think I can do it now, or do I have to wait until they make the change for the county? They're not changing all our radios at the same time, so there must be some overlap, wouldn't you think?

Thanks!
Beth

P.S. Bud, I may be looking for you again if I can't make this work!!! :)

Yes you can go ahead and start setting it up now. FYI, there is only one Talk Group showing for Hancock County. But others will start popping up in the next couple of months.

Here are the CC and AC.

773.53125 c
774.28125 a

Here is the lone Talk Group.

54560 D XSO-32 Hancock County Statewide Interop.

Check the RR database periodically for updates. If you program the Group and Private Wildcards, you could be the first to hear the new users.

Goodluck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.