Microsoft unveils Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Good to see they'll be giving it free to users with Windows 8.1?....

Windows 7 users as well. Be careful however, as there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Any truth the rumor I heard that Microsoft Windows 10 will be eventually going to a annual subscription based rental, so to speak, like the new Office product?

PACNWDude

Gold Star for you.

Windows 7 users as well. Be careful however, as there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Any truth the rumor I heard that Microsoft Windows 10 will be eventually going to a annual subscription based rental, so to speak, like the new Office product?

Office 360 should be a good indicator of how it will be. You are the first person that seems to understand this. I had this argument yesterday with co-workers, I am a few buildings down from Microsoft, and many of our engineers used to work there. They said they would be staying with Win7 until end of life, for what its worth.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Microsoft doesn't do anything for free... Almost sounds as if this is a desperate ploy to get sales back up.

n8zcc

Adobe took Photoshop and Lightroom to subscription and I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft go the same way.

As for the free update, look at the end user licensing agreement and the data MS is collecting, then you will know why it is (looks to be) free.

CapStar362

i have 8.1 U1, running classic shell and keeping it to the aero theme. i dont even bother with the tiles (metro theme )

MK

Does anyone fully understand the free upgrade policy for Windows 10? I bought a new laptop last year sometime around May. I am wondering if my computer running Windows 8.1 will be eligible for the free upgrade.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
From prcguy's post, and windows 7 or windows 8 computer will be eligible for a free upgrade for the first year.

Wonder if they will conveniently end support for 7 once that year is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
From prcguy's post, and windows 7 or windows 8 computer will be eligible for a free upgrade for the first year.

Wonder if they will conveniently end support for 7 once that year is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Microsoft will offer extended support for Windows 7 until January 14, 2020.

[source]
Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

Businesses, and especially major corporations, are slow to upgrade operating systems. They can't afford to go though months, or even years of bug fixing, and software conflicts.

Just remember, newer isn't always better. Windows 8 is an example of that.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I would wait until they work all the bugs out first ,just another rip.............

That's why I stay at least one operating system behind "the latest and greatest" ... I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 just this past December. Have been doing it that way for years, and it works great. I refuse to be a Microsoft beta tester. :D

MK

There is speculation being circulated that Windows 10 will be a subscription based service similar to Office 365. According to various posts and published speculations, Windows will be free as an upgrade for the first year. Then, after Microsoft has enough feedback on which devices reliably can run the new OS, the company will shift to a subscription based model.

Whether or not these rumors amount to anything remains to be seen. However, it seems unusual that the company could somehow give away its main product for free. They have no significant hardware like Apple, which charges nothing for OS X anymore.

Perhaps we will know later for sure this year or further on in 2016. If the next generation OS is subscription fee based, then Welcome to Windows 365.

Status
Not open for further replies.