• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

F121s Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello everyone,

So I picked up a VHF Icom CY-F121s repeater from a buddy of mine. I turned it on to test it and there is receive and transmit from both radios but it is not repeating. I pulled the lid off and located the controller behind the 2 radios and 1 of pins is broken. So I am thinking that is the problem but not sure, Can someone help me either find a replacement controller and help me get this repeater to work correctly.

Thank you!

Last edited:

cabletech

So, first ask your buddy when the last time the system worked as a repeater.

Just because you see a broken/loose wire does not mean that is the trouble. There maybe a different or more problems. Even bad programming.

Also, need to know (pictures help) how the radios are connected to the controller and the make of the controller.

There is a factory option cable(OPC 617) that plugs into the radios then can be plugged into a controller or even into each other to make the radios work as a repeater.

Do you really need some kind of controller? If the radios are using the factory OPC 617 cable, then unplug them from the controller, get to DB 9 connectors wire then per the attached and if the program is correct, you will have them working as a repeater.

Attachments

• Icom DB9.jpg
    Icom DB9.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 861

SCPD

QRT
Cabletech:

He purchased it in a lot auction so I am not holding him against it not working. I will look into the OPC 617 cable, Thank you!
I will attach a few photos of the inside and the board I am talking about. Yes the inside is very dirty I need to clean it out.
Also I have made sure the programming is correct. I've connected to both of them and checked setting.

Thank you for the help

Attachments

• IMG_4426.jpg
    IMG_4426.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,181
  • IMG_4427.jpg
    IMG_4427.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:

cabletech

From what I can see in the picture, you have to cable sets from the radios with flat white connectors that look like they plug into that circuit board which also looks like it has some problems in its own right.

Also looks like this system may have been build by Icom as a very early low power repeater.

Again I will ask, what due you plan to due with this and due you need this "controller" ?

SCPD

QRT
Yes sir, that is correct. I have decided to get rid of the PC board all together and go with your idea. I ordered 2 OPC-617 cables yesterday.
I plan on using it at offroad races in the desert for a larger handheld coverage area

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've built a couple of these out of F420s and F221s. The instructions on the Preston Moore page are right on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cabletech

I've built a couple of these out of F420s and F221s. The instructions on the Preston Moore page are right on.

I have also build several portable systems and have used F121/221/320/420/520/620 radios and have even used 6021 radios. Even in cross band mode.

All work great as long as you pay attention to what changes need to be made in the program and on the circuit board.

I have built these with and with out diplexers and as these are set for mid power and short term (2-3 days),
have not had to use out board controls.

You can even use the TX radio as a simplex radio with no changes.

Preston Moore is no longer doing these setups, so if you have any questions you can contact me direct at cabletech03@hotmail.com and I will try and help you out.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
FYI, the controller is built by Icom.

You can COR->PTT and DISC->MIC just fine, but the Icom controller tweaks the audio and also runs the cooling fan. Make sure you don't overheat the tx radio.

Also, you can very easily do a full cross where anything hitting one radio will repeat on the other, both ways (but not at the same time obviously). I have one set up in my interop trailer and is works flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.