Picked up a PRO-651

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Out of cold weather boredom, I stopped into my local Radio Shack store, and found the new PRO-651 on sale for $319.99, and bought one. Having owned a few PRO-106's in the past, I wasn't expecting any changes other than cosmetic.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover the programming port (PC/IF) was now full-duplex, and programing upload/download speeds had doubled! Considering I do this more frequently than most, this is awesome!

The other surprise was that the P25 decode, and audio sharpness/clarity, seems to be somewhat better on the PRO-651, than I recall it being on the PRO-106. This could be my optimistic imagination, or considering I'll be 65 this year, maybe I just forgot how well the PRO-106 used to perform. Or could it be I've been around too many Unidens lately? :cool:

I considered getting the PRO-668, but I really prefer the form factor, key pad, and operational options of the PRO-651.

If you don't need P25 Phase 2 capability, now, or in the future, I highly recommend the PRO-651!

p.s. This should quell all the members accusing me of being a Uniden Fan Boy in recent months.

KC0CSE

Out of cold weather boredom, I stopped into my local Radio Shack store, and found the new PRO-651 on sale for $319.99, and bought one. Having owned a few PRO-106's in the past, I wasn't expecting any changes other than cosmetic.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover the programming port (PC/IF) was now full-duplex, and programing upload/download speeds had doubled! Considering I do this more frequently than most, this is awesome!

The other surprise was that the P25 decode, and audio sharpness/clarity, seems to be somewhat better on the PRO-651, than I recall it being on the PRO-106. This could be my optimistic imagination, or considering I'll be 65 this year, maybe I just forgot how well the PRO-106 used to perform. Or could it be I've been around too many Unidens lately? :cool:

I considered getting the PRO-668, but I really prefer the form factor, key pad, and operational options of the PRO-651.

If you don't need P25 Phase 2 capability, now, or in the future, I highly recommend the PRO-651!

p.s. This should quell all the members accusing me of being a Uniden Fan Boy in recent months.

Thanks for the review. Own a PRO 106 very happy with it...would like to have the PRO 651 hope the price drops soon..

baayers

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like the 1080 and it's equivalent seem to get the majority of the attention these days so feedback on this model from what I have seen has been scarce.

also if either your self or anyone else who is reading this post would be willing I would love to see a active demonstration of the scanner or the 1040 on YouTube. As of the last time I checked there are no real videos online.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
One area the PRO-651 seems to excel is the ability to work well with Macomb County, Michigan's simulcast system. This has always been a challenge for scanner radios from Uniden/GRE/Radio Shack.

The new Uniden's do quite well at this, and the new PRO-651 (manufactured by Whistler, not GRE), handles it very well. It has been speculated that the PRO-651 is simply a re-badged PRO-106, but this is not entirely true, as demonstrated by the new full-duplex programming interface. So it's quite possible that some subtle changes/improvements were implemented in the hardware, or at minimum, the firmware.

It's a low risk to go ahead and purchase a PRO-651 from Radio Shack. They have a very fair return policy, if you're not satisfied, unlike Uniden.

Nasby

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I've had some decent luck with stuff I've bought on Blinq. Nothing was any worse than described and a pair of speakers was pretty much perfect.

marksmith

I bought a pro-652, the apparent mobile version of the 651, also a Whistler as opposed to radio shack, at a store closing 50% off (about $180) last week.

I have been pleasingly shocked at the hot receiver this is. I can pull in p25 sites with this radio and a radio shack 800mz antenna arguably better than the Uniden 996 its sitting beside. And the digital decoding is excellent. Very clear voice. I think it also scans a little faster than the Unidens. I bought it on a whim because if the price but I am very happy with the radio.

BCD536HP/HP2/996XT/PSR800/396XT/996T

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I have also got the 651 from Blinq, and I am very happy. Ordered a used one, but it looks brand new. Not even any scratches. I'm looking for a programming cable for it though. I ordered one off ebay, it didnt work, so the guy sent me 2 more for free and they also dont really work. I have to put the scanner in clone mode to upload/download from it and I cant get alpha tags working.

Any suggestions?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have also got the 651 from Blinq, and I am very happy. Ordered a used one, but it looks brand new. Not even any scratches. I'm looking for a programming cable for it though. I ordered one off ebay, it didnt work, so the guy sent me 2 more for free and they also dont really work. I have to put the scanner in clone mode to upload/download from it and I cant get alpha tags working.

Any suggestions?

What cable did you buy? What programming software are you using. With the proper cable, and software, the PRO-651 puts itself into programming mode automatically.

Radio Shack has the cable on sale right now (might end after today), for $23.99, Catalog #: 2000546.

You do not use the extra short cable adapter with the PRO-651.

Last edited:

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
What cable did you buy? What programming software are you using. With the proper cable, and software, the PRO-651 puts itself into programming mode automatically.

Radio Shack has the cable on sale right now (might end after today), for $23.99, Catalog #: 2000546.

You do not use the extra short cable adapter with the PRO-651.

Not sure on the cable. The guy I bought it from made them himself. Using ARC500 software. Would like to get that cable, but RadioShack does not ship to Canada. :(

Nasby

The cable they're selling looks like the older one, and may not work with your scanner. Be sure to talk to them!

The cable on the link will work just fine.
Its the exact one I have and use it on my PRO-652.

Status
Not open for further replies.