What is the best conventional scanner for this situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
I live in the south suburbs of Chicago and in this area everything is primarily conventional UHF-VHF Hi with some trunked systems around. Not really all that much digital as far as I'm aware (that's worth listening to anyway). I want a base/desktop model that will be used in conjunction with an outdoor antenna.. With those requisites in mind, what would people here recommend would provide the best "bang for the buck".

Blackink

My personal opinion:

a BCT15X with an ST2 antenna.

But that's because I have that set-up and it works great for me.

I don't know if it's the "best choice" for you but it's a fairly inexpensive combo to get.

marksmith

If you can get away with the 15x it's a good analog trunking radio. I was looking at the database for the Chicago area and would recommend studying that before you pull the trigger. You have a massive statewide digital phase 2 system out there and I saw quite a bir of p25 or other digital systems.

I admit I also saw an awful lot of conventional communications.

The trend, however, is toward digital. Its there to some fair extent and it will be there more in the future. Even if you don't go $500+ for a phase 2 digital, might want to consider a p25 phase 1 capable at somewhere in the $300+ range. It will have some longevity and you won't become incapable for some time.

BCD536HP/HP2/996XT/PSR800/396XT/996T

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
If you can get away with the 15x it's a good analog trunking radio. I was looking at the database for the Chicago area and would recommend studying that before you pull the trigger. You have a massive statewide digital phase 2 system out there and I saw quite a bir of p25 or other digital systems.

I admit I also saw an awful lot of conventional communications.

The trend, however, is toward digital. Its there to some fair extent and it will be there more in the future. Even if you don't go $500+ for a phase 2 digital, might want to consider a p25 phase 1 capable at somewhere in the $300+ range. It will have some longevity and you won't become incapable for some time.

I'm aware that there are in fact some digital systems around, but I suspect there's nothing terribly interesting on them. I don't really care to hear Illinois State Police as a lot of that is going to be plates being run and traffic stop related. It's not really cost effective at this point to invest in an expensive digital scanner and not really be able to make much use of it's digital functionality. Conventional is still the work horse around here and where I'd spend all my time listening. Chicago Police dispatch is still plain UHF and contains as much drama in 5 minutes as you'd hear all year on ISP's digital system.

marksmith

It sounds like you are already aware of what you can hear on what systems. As long as you feel satisfied with non-digital capability, the 15x is an excellent radio. I have one thats been running continuously for about 10 years now doing my conventional scanning. For the $$ you won't find a better built radio in this class. It can also handle analog trunking if you have any of those systems.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the 15x is pretty widely agreed upon.. Will this radio interface with a PC for programming of trunked systems?

marksmith

If you still have serial ports on your pc you can interface to pc with the cable it comes with. Most folks don't so you will need to drop around $25-30 on the special cable that enables serial comms through a USB port. I also use Freescan (really free) to modify 6 or 7 different Uniden scanners that it is compatible with. The 15x is a fully capable analog trunking scanner. I have it still monitoring part of the last remaining analog channels on a mixed digital/analog system. Also doing other conventional frequencies duty.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot more than traffic stops on Starcom, Metra PD for one is good listening and in my case some local towns here have gone SC-Digital...Also the CFD is digital now on UHF along with the IDOT plows are now UHF-Digital....A digital scanner is your best of both worlds....Just my suggestion.....

marksmith

There are a lot more than traffic stops on Starcom, Metra PD for one is good listening and in my case some local towns here have gone SC-Digital...Also the CFD is digital now on UHF along with the IDOT plows are now UHF-Digital....A digital scanner is your best of both worlds....Just my suggestion.....
These were some of the systems I saw were already digital and I am certain there are a lot of conventional things that will be changing to digital.

Personally I would never put money into buying a non digital scanner any more.

You are limited from the start in what you can hear and the limitations quickly grow. If you want to continue listening you end up blowing more then to get a digital when you could have put that money there in the first place. You will also have twice the amoint of stuff you csn listen to.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
I'd never want to listen to snow plows, and I still remain unconvinced that ISP is worth listening to. You do however make a compelling case for digital in that should things switch to digital in the near future I'd be double paying for a scanner. Then again, if 3-4 years go buy am I going to feel good about my now obsolete digital scanner? I feel like I'd rather wait until I actually had to pull the trigger, then get the newest best thing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.