Should I buy the 536HP or wait for next model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjuneau

Premium Subscriber
I own the 436HP, the HomePatrol-2 and was looking to buy a third scanner (can never have enough, right?). I realize the BCD536HP is over a year old now and the wifi software has not been released. Should I jump the gun and buy a 536HP or does anyone know if Uniden has successor to the 536HP coming out in a few months?

I'm not sure how fast technology is updated in the radio/scanner world but if it's anything like a cell phone, I want to have the latest and greatest without being stuck with "last years" model.

Appreciate any and all helpful replies!

Voyager

I seriously doubt we will see a successor for the 536 for at least a year - maybe several.
Of course, Uniden has been releasing a number of new models over the past two years. They used to average a little over 1 a year, but now we've had 3 in the past year.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There was a 4-5 time difference between the 996XT and the 536HP models, if that is any hint on time frames.

The only "wildcards" are MOTOTRBO and Nexedge. The question is whether this technology becomes available and cost effective for scanner manufacturers (as in Uniden) to offer. Then whether or not a firmware update can be done, or a new lines of scanners is necessary to receive such technology.

Me, I wouldn't hold my breath to see this happen. Plus, even if you got the 536 it still should have use to you. While they don't receive much given the changes in radio systems around my part of the world, I still have my 780 and 796D up and running just as good as the day I got them.

mitbr

I also have the 536hp it is a fine radio regardless of its quirks, if I lost mine I would replace it immediately that should tell you how much I enjoy it.

jjuneau

Premium Subscriber
I also have the 536hp it is a fine radio regardless of its quirks, if I lost mine I would replace it immediately that should tell you how much I enjoy it.

You sold me on it. Thank you.. Just placed my order on Amazon :) Can't wait to hook it up this Saturday!!

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I own three 536HPs, among many other scanners. One of them is in Phoenix at my daughter's. Going to try and set up some remote control. The other two I have here with me in Los Angeles area (Cerritos). If you are looking for another scanner, buy the 536HP. A great scanner with even greater potential. Now that you bought one jjuneau, we will have to compare notes, being that we are in general proximity to each other.
Steve AA6IO

DSC45

Premium Subscriber

I love the 536HP scanners, best scanner I;ve owned.

By the way sshermanmd, are you close enough, to receive LAPD? I bet its a great experience on the 536!

Gilligan

Database Admin
This was what Upman said on December 18th:

"I actually have a firmware development roadmap that goes into 2016 for these models. Not all the deliverables on the roadmap have been approved for development, but I'm pushing to get as much as I can into these models. Despite the release of some other models, I expect these two to be our
flagship handheld and mobile platforms for many years."

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
At this point I would've waited a couple more months to get the 1095, depending on your financial situation. Otherwise, get both anyway. I am! ;)

cupman

BCD536HP

I was looking at getting a BCD536HP and after reading on so many sites, besides getting confused, I saw something about problems with the usb port. Does anybody know anything about this? Thanks

rcool101

Feed Provider
If your 60 yrs old Jump On It..... If your 30 you got a lot of time. How long can you wait? There's people that's been waiting over a year for what they've already paid for. ......Patience is wearing thin................

MidTNScanDude

I mistakenly bought one just before Christmas based on what the Box said. Only after making the purchase did I come here and do research. When I found out the major selling points were Snake Oil, did not actually Exist and were nothing more than Place Holders for technology they did Not currently possess.....Just a Marketing campaign to thwart the competition and dupe the consumers. It's a cool little scanner but it has a lot of bugs, does Not do what it is advertised to do. I suspect with the plethora of negative reviews across the net... they will Abandon them and release a "new" model. Society would not have accepted this just a few short years ago.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Dude, I agree 100% with what you said.

Only question I have is what society? These things are of interest to a very small niche market of hobbyists
and possibly those professionals in the news media, etc.

I don't think "society" in general gives a rat's patooty about Uniden high end scaners.

MidTNScanDude

Society as a whole has come to accept Poor customer service, lesser quality products, longer wait times Etc.

Voyager

I mistakenly bought one just before Christmas based on what the Box said. Only after making the purchase did I come here and do research. When I found out the major selling points were Snake Oil, did not actually Exist and were nothing more than Place Holders for technology they did Not currently possess.....Just a Marketing campaign to thwart the competition and dupe the consumers. It's a cool little scanner but it has a lot of bugs, does Not do what it is advertised to do. I suspect with the plethora of negative reviews across the net... they will Abandon them and release a "new" model. Society would not have accepted this just a few short years ago.

Obviously, they did possess the tech, as it shipped with the scanners from day one. What they did not realize was that the firmware for the WiFi did not work as expected, and was (using Uniden's terms) unacceptable for their QC. They had the features prior to release, but they didn't work up to Uniden's standards.

If you had read the updates, you would know that Uniden finally got an acceptable firmware from the manufacturer, and expects to release the first version soon.

As for society accepting it, well, look at GM. That was an issue they could have fixed, but left go for years. Contrast that with Uniden who was effectively held hostage due to delays on the part of the WiFi supplier. There was nothing deceptive on Uniden's part that I have ever read aside from speculation by those who only want to complain and turn every thread into a Uniden bash-fest.

Even without the WiFi, the x36 is one of the best scanners ever made. Yes, they have some issues, but these are relatively few and far between, and often deal with users who do stupid things with them.

MidTNScanDude

I read the Updates... Over a year after release they Might, Almost have the Technology they Said they had when the sold the first one. And Maybe, sometime in the future people with I Phones will be able to use some (but not all) of the advertised features... Droid users will wait, and Wait. I'm sorry but your post is the epitome of what I am talking about.

So, Analyze works ? They had the Technology ?

If you bought an AWD car.. would you accept that it's Actually only FWD, but eventually, Maybe, they will get the parts to make it AWD... but only the Red ones to start with, other colors will have to wait.

Now... think about what you have said. You claimed they had the technology, but the Firmware for the WIFI did not pass QC. That is simply how the scanner Communicates with the APP on a Phone. They still, to date, do not even have the APP, so if they "outside Vendor" had supplied the firmware from day one... we would still have waited for the yet to me built Apps.

Nothing Deceptive ? Do you want me to post a pic of my Box ? It does not even have a big Sticker on it that says "Many Features not actually available" ... Anyone picking up the box (as I did) would have No reason to think it did not actually work.

Yes, it's a cool scanner. It has issues like if I run ANY external speaker and turn the volume over 21 it reboots constantly... the volume skips 28, it hangs here and there and has to be rebooted. but all in all it works pretty good.

Voyager

Most of your post doesn't even deserve a reply. It's that ridiculous except for one point. Yes, when they ordered the WiFi dongle, they expected it would work. Is that their fault? I'm sure you say it is. I'm sure everything you do always goes exactly to plan.

They knew, and said PRIOR to release, the WiFi would not be available until Q1 2014. So obviously they didn't know they had problems or they thought they would be resolved by that time. I don't know when they first got the firmware from the vendor. According to UPMan they got the first usable firmware about a month ago or so.

You say they don't have an app. Please cite your source. Or do you think they can just plug in new firmware without having to write code to use it? If so, you're even more naive than you think.

As for your "bugs", mine doesn't have those issues. Sounds like a power source issue.

MidTNScanDude

10-4, It's all good. I just don't drink as much Kool-aid It has the makings of a Great scanner but I bought it 12-23-14 ... and the box says it has XXXX features. It does Not. It's that simple. Having read Upmans posts, i would Hate to have his job. But I also hate being Duped into buying the most expensive scanner on the market a Year after introduction, and it not work as advertised. for Anyone to condone that is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.