737Mech's Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
My shack updated. I gutted a motorola repeater that had two CDM-750's kept the power supply. Changed out the rear fan for a much nicer quiet 9 blade with blue led lights for effect. I'm planning external speakers soon. Before you guys cut me down I know I know the power supply. Yup it's a switcher and against my friend's advice I still decided to give it a try. It is currently powering the three scanners above it. Pro-2051/BCT-15 DiscTapped/and the BCD536HP. I have ferrites on the power cords and so far not hearing any new noise from the power supply. DSD plus running on the laptop next to the setup fed from the bct-15. The other scanners are still on wall warts but I'm searching for a new supply for those as well. Probably an Astron. Anyone notice my DTR650? It's sweet! Ordering another next month. FHSS is awesome!

Last edited:
My shack updated. I gutted a motorola repeater that had two CDM-750's kept the power supply. Changed out the rear fan for a much nicer quiet 9 blade with blue led lights for effect. I'm planning external speakers soon. Before you guys cut me down I know I know the power supply. Yup it's a switcher and against my friend's advice I still decided to give it a try. It is currently powering the three scanners above it. Pro-2051/BCT-15 DiscTapped/and the BCD536HP. I have ferrites on the power cords and so far not hearing any new noise from the power supply. DSD plus running on the laptop next to the setup fed from the bct-15. The other scanners are still on wall warts but I'm searching for a new supply for those as well. Probably an Astron. Anyone notice my DTR650? It's sweet! Ordering another next month. FHSS is awesome!

Very nice setup! Yes I notice the DTR650. Very neat :cool:. Good idea with gutting the Motorola repeater. That is a good way to power the three scanners at once.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Before you guys cut me down I know I know the power supply. Yup it's a switcher and against my friend's advice I still decided to give it a try. It is currently powering the three scanners above it.

Looks good.
Nothing at all wrong with switching power supplies if they are quiet. I have a lot of them at work for telecom and radio systems, and they work fine.

PACNWDude

Nice set up. The switching power supply is fine, as long as it is working. I just swap them out as they fail. Some have been working for me for many years. Some only for a few months.

Your gutting the Motorola repeater gives me some ides on what to do with my GR300 Motorola repeater. The blue LED's make it look really cool.

I have had DTR radios for several years now, and they are so much better than FRS/GMRS. Clear and no interference. Had to break down and get the programming cable and customize them a bit though.

Once again, very nice set up there.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I like switching power supplies since they do not create nearly the amount of heat as a transformer supply does. If you find a good one that is RF and AF quiet you are golden.

I have a couple I have used over the years and other than a noisy fan on a Samlex I have never had a problem. I replaced the fan on that one and it was fine.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Blue LED fan

I appreciate the kind comments. It's a noisy scanner setup at times. Getting ready for Nellis Red Flag this week. Tons of milair stuff during Red Flag. As well trying to monitor Metro LVMPD on the 536 and SNACC on two other scanners.
Here's the link for the quiet fan I found at Fry's

FRYS.com*|*THERMALTAKE

Last edited:
I appreciate the kind comments. It's a noisy scanner setup at times. Getting ready for Nellis Red Flag this week. Tons of milair stuff during Red Flag. As well trying to monitor Metro LVMPD on the 536 and SNACC on two other scanners. And don't forget I stay tuned to Dreamland as well.

Here's the link for the quiet fan I found at Fry's

FRYS.com*|*THERMALTAKE

Your welcome 737mech :).

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Update

Just an update note I added a blue LED volt meter to the front of the power supply today. Looks neat, now I can monitor voltage. Too bright for camera but in real life not too bright. 13.8 volts. Tapped off my distribution blocks that feed power to the scanners. Also I plugged in the Wifi dongle and simply velcro attached it to the rear of the box.

Mini 0 28" DC Digital Volt Meter Panel Mount LED Voltage 2 50 30V 12V Blue | eBay

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Mech's update

Updated info I have added a Samlex 2313 for three of the desk scanners, I like it, not so much static etc. I have also added another DTR650 to pair with my first one. And lastly I picked up a XTS3000 model 3 for some 800 Mhtz stuff. I would post a pic but am inclined not to for the "Be Safe" post. Not a huge visual change to my desk anyway. I might add the digital volt meter to the Samlex as I did for the Motorola power supply in the pics. OBTW I also updated the 536 to the new firmware seems better so far I like the audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.