Indoor Antenna Options for Close Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1CJN

Premium Subscriber
I'm on floor 3 of a 4 floor building, with an office facing a similar building about 40 feet away, so little or no open sky. I cannot put a wire out the window or to the roof.

What might be useful antenna options? I have a EndFedz SWL 45ft abets that I could run under the ceiling tiles and an AlexLoop - either useful options? Other options?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What is an AlexLoop?

What radio are you going to use with these antennas? You've actually got a pretty decent setup there - the 2 antennas will work quite differently under different conditions, and that gives you a certain amount of flexibility. HF Propagation is a fickle mistress :.>> Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
He already has a loop, Nick, though it's not nearly as broadbanded as the Wellbrook.

Another possibility here is to make a wire loop - using very thin speaker wire, wrap it around the perimeter of the wall, feed it with a 9:1 transformer then coax from there. It would be a bit more broadbanded than the AlexLoop, and the antenna itself would be relatively easy to hide. It would be best if you could do this to a wall that is not facing the building that's 40 foot away to get it as far from that source of noise as possible.

Loops are your best friends here, for sure. Active antennas that use whips would likely pick up noise not just from your immediate surroundings, but possibly from the building that's so close to you as well. Mike

SCPD

QRT
He already has a loop, Nick, though it's not nearly as broad-band as the Wellbrook.

Yes, a completely different animal. His is tuned for 7-30 Mhz and is designed for transmitting. I think receiving loops (such as the Wellbrook) give you a bit more flexibility and as you pointed out -- a much larger spectrum to play with...

Either way, if he buys the Wellbrook and it's not as a good, you can always sell it on E-Bay. Wellbrook products hold their value. :)

KC1CJN

Premium Subscriber
Bit the bullet and bought a Wellbrook for my SWL using Alinco DX-r8t receiver in my office, and with use Alex Loop with my Yeasu FT-817 whilst traveling. Thanks for the help!

SCPD

QRT
Bit the bullet and bought a Wellbrook for my SWL using Alinco DX-r8t receiver in my office, and with use Alex Loop with my Yeasu FT-817 whilst traveling. Thanks for the help!

Cool beans. Be sure to let us know how it works. I was looking for a YouTube video and this is pretty impressive...

60hz WWV from an apartment in NJ... With all of RFI possibilities, this is damn good performance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj4tGKU9Baw

Status
Not open for further replies.