Maryland WX Alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

Can anyone report if their WX radio alerted anytime this past week, or today, with MARYLAND alerts relating to the recent and expected snow?
Also, is there still a weekly test in the MARYLAND area on Wednesdays between 1100 and 1200hrs?

Thanks

marksmith

Mine has not gone off and I have everything enabled. I wasn't home this week for the test but I heard the test last week if I remember. I've been wondering why nothing on alerts from the radio. I have it set to just my SAME county code only, but weatherbug is sjootrme daily and hourly advisories for this county.

BCD536HP/HP2/996XT/PSR800/396XT/996T

baybum

OK, are you confirming that they still do a Wednesday test between 1100 and 1200?
I assume you're set for 162.400.

marksmith

Correct. 162.400 and yes, sometime between 1100-1200 on Wednesdays they still conduct a test unless there are active alerts in progress.

marksmith

Your radio has to be set to go off for that test. Many of the radios default to ignoring the test broadcast as it us an alert type you can disable.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I got the weekly test, but no other alerts or warnings.

But I have noticed that the signal has been going in and out.

Maybe they are working on the system..... again.....

I'm glad I don't depend on their system for safety, because it isn't consistent at all, the signal goes out way too often to make me happy.

marksmith

The only reason it would not go off for the wrekly test is if you have that alert disabled as all of these radios have about 40 different named alerts that can be toggled enable/disable individually.

I have a Reecom and "receive all" on it means receive all counties as opposed to just the ones I've entered codes for. Even with this turned on and the specific weekly test alert disabled I will get nothing.

Have not teceived a real alert since we were getting all those thunderstorm issues over the Summer. Just the weekly alerts. An app on my phone is sending them to me every day.

marksmith

The radio you indicate also has this capability.... from the description. ... " "Programmable alert types allow for personal customization and adaptability of use (and are a feature not found on many portable WX radios)."

Verify the weekly test alert is enabled.

baybum

That was it. The tests were disabled. Had to dig deeper into the menu to find it.
I'll find out Wednesday if it works.

Many thanks

marksmith

That was it. The tests were disabled. Had to dig deeper into the menu to find it.
I'll find out Wednesday if it works.

Many thanks

No problem. The individual weekly test enable/disable is frequently defaulted to disable when you get the radio. Mine was so I am not surprised that yours was also. You should get the weekly test a little after
11am next Wednesday.

I'm waiting for the radio to start sounding off on winter storm advisories. I have every alert enabled and all I've heard for months is the weekly test. I think I heard of some problems with the system somewhere. I hope they get it squared away. I was getting a couple alerts a day during the summer with the thunderstorms.

marksmith

The weekly alert used to go off without a hitch including audio. A couple minutes after 11am every Wednesday. A visual-only test I would say is semi-useless unless you are blind and used to getting your alerts visually only.

If they start sending out the regular alerts this way, I guess I can get rid of the radio because the whole alert system will be semi-useless.

I guess the point is.... what does a silent alert test do for anyone?

If I can remember I will try to confirm what happens next Wednesday.

marksmith

I just checked the memory. ... it keeps a memory history of the last 30 alerts. I can see alerts going back into Sept 2014. I can also see a history of the Weds alert test going until Jan 7... then nothing. It eas sitting in a mode that said "Re-check setup" whatever that means. I Re-checked. Didn't see any problems. I set it to receive all counties rather than just AA to see what happens. Weather.gov says they still conduct the tests nationwide. On website.

baybum

I missed it too. Mad at myself because I started all this mess.
I'll write myself a note for next Wednesday.

marksmith

I also sent them an email advising that the test is apparently happening on thr 162.4 station (gave them the specific site) and asking if anything is wrong. Doubt I will get a response but will pass on if I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.