Shelby County P 25 Phase 1 or Phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian1

The Database shows P25 Phase 1.

Is this new system Phase 1 or Phase 2 ??

I live outside Liberty Park off Sicard Hollow.

I am getting intermittent carrier from the Chelsea site.

Saw one TG # 500 with no audio.

If this really is Phase 2, we need to tweak the database.

Julian1

Shelby Co Traffic on Talk Group 500 Phase I

I just rec'd traffic on Talk Group 500.

I'm only getting signal strength from Chelsea tower.

Alabaster and Birmingham towers no signal.

CONCERN - I hope this thing isn't like a cellular network. Dispatcher comes on all towers, my nearest tower only if another unit has affiliated with Chelsea tower.

medic9351301

Banned
yes thats what i was told only the so. i have spoke with a couple of radio techs from what they said its a tmda which is phase 2 and hinted it could be fully enc

Donradtke

Premium Subscriber
Shelby county phase 2

Shelby County built its digital radio system with the latest most efficient communication technology using the Federal P25 Phase 2 TDMA standards and protocols. The County wide public safety interoperable communications system is known as the SCP25. Information from shelbyal.com.

Would some please provide updated freq list for the phase 2 system.

If anyone knows, Will an Uniden BCE436HP be able to receive the SCP25 system? I know its phase 2 capable, but i'm unsure
about the system.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
If someone has a 996 or 396 scanner you can use Pro96Com which will tell you what phase 1/2 system is using.

LMHODNETT

Premium Subscriber
I live in Helena, Al. and have listened to Shelby co so for years. I use the uniden 536hp and should receive the p25 channels. I get very little traffic since the change. I do see tgid 500 sometimes and earlier this week was getting 501 loud and clear. 501 appears to be radio technicians. There is a tower in Alabaster and Montevallo that I should hear well. For the last two days I have heard nothing. Surly there is more going on in in Shelby co than nothing. Anyone else hearing anything or not hearing??

puzzleriddle

if any are Enc you will not "know it" with uniden radios THEY mute the audio with ENC signals
Try using PRO96com to figure it out

medic9351301

Banned
also digital signals on vhf are not that strong. example.Cullman so and city pd.
when they were conv.i heard them perfect.when they went digital bye bye.
i changed nothing .

dave911

Premium Subscriber
I listen to them in discovery mode so I can catch any new TGs

lowga

I'm using the Uniden Home Patrol 2, which is supposed to receive P25 Phase 2 TDMA signals. But haven't heard any transmissions in the past two days. I live in Helena, so very near the Alabaster tower.

The database still lists this as a phase 1 system, so perhaps that is the issue? Is there some way to change the scanner to recognize this as a Phase 2 system instead?

Any updates or assistance would be appreciated.

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
Shelby County TRS, System Id

The last time I was in Jefferson County the Shelby County TRS System Id was 00A & WACN was 00A.
RRDb says System Id: 296 / WACN: 92778, that is what it was but I believe it has changed
to System Id: 00A / WACN: 00A, unless it has changed back recently to the old System Id.
Not sure if that is the current System Id or just a Temp System Id for testing.
Was told that 00A System is a Harris Default System Id for all of their new systems, not sure why.
A new talk group of 506 has been reported recently possibly Sheriff or Law Enforcement use but the voice was garbled.
Not sure if garbled because of poor reception on the control channel, P2 or if they may be running some type of encryption.
I do know that they are running Multi-Packet/Multi-Block Data over the control channel.
Not sure if that will affect scanner reception or cause an issue decoding voice or not.
The Multi-Packet/Multi-Block Data may be part of the issue but I don't know enough about it to confirm.

lowga

At one point while trying to decode this, I created a new system in my HomePatrol 2, and set it up as a "Single Frequency P25" system. My logic being that I only saw control signals on a single channel. This didn't decode audio, but the system would display TGID's. It decoded a TGID of 500 and 506 several times.

My reception of the control channel is excellent (five bars on the P2) and RF Power Plot is solid as well. Despite that, I could never get audio to decode, regardless of the Search ID function, Discovery Search, etc.

I wish there was a way to confirm if it was encrypted. Spending a lot of time on this project, and will be disappointed if I learn it was all for nothing.

Unfortunately, this is probably the future of the hobby. Encryption is easy on the digital systems, and I suspect more and more PD's will use it.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
The last time I was in Jefferson County the Shelby County TRS System Id was 00A & WACN was 00A.
RRDb says System Id: 296 / WACN: 92778, that is what it was but I believe it has changed
to System Id: 00A / WACN: 00A, unless it has changed back recently to the old System Id.

WACN is a five digit hexadecimal ID. It was likely 0000a, which has been seen on other Harris systems.

At one point while trying to decode this, I created a new system in my HomePatrol 2, and set it up as a "Single Frequency P25" system. My logic being that I only saw control signals on a single channel. This didn't decode audio, but the system would display TGID's. It decoded a TGID of 500 and 506 several times.

My reception of the control channel is excellent (five bars on the P2) and RF Power Plot is solid as well. Despite that, I could never get audio to decode, regardless of the Search ID function, Discovery Search, etc.

I wish there was a way to confirm if it was encrypted. Spending a lot of time on this project, and will be disappointed if I learn it was all for nothing.

Unfortunately, this is probably the future of the hobby. Encryption is easy on the digital systems, and I suspect more and more PD's will use it.

See my post in the other thread. You will need to enter the trunking tables for this system into your scanner. Right now your scanner does not have the tables correctly defined, and will tune to an incorrect frequency when it decodes a channel grant.

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
I am running a 996P2 with an outside antenna in Childersburg and receive the Chelsea site full scale.

Talkgroup 500 is not encrypted but the transmissions I receive are garbled most of the time, like a low decode rate.

I have run PRO96com on 152.720 several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.