SDR on 2008 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

UB70

My company decommissioned several servers recently and I can have one for next to nothing. I see all the threads about XP vs 7 vs 8 or 8.1, I know very little about the differences in OS's so i figured i would ask here. They have 6 core processors with a ton of ram so I figured they might work well with SDR.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

UB70

Guess I was thinking faster than I type. Will SDR run on Windows 2008 server edition? I am just starting to look at different types of sdr so I don't have a specific brand or software yet just curious if it will work.

SCPD

QRT
Short answer is yes. As long as the SDR device does not require USB 3.0, you're probably okay.

UB70

Thank you. For the price I will get one and see what happens. Worse case scenario I have a super cheap home computer.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
I did run my RTL dongle in my 2008 server.
switched it to a xp machine after I got nasty **** from radio related software as my 2008 is serving multiples essential services to me and my family.

The server hardware is way overkill for SDR my recommendation install a free hypervisor (esxi / openstack...) and split all this power on multiple virtual machine so you can have a Linux a windows and so on. USB devices pass thru are well supported on esxi as my xp is a virtual machine.

On a side note most server do not have a sound card.
Also you may want to enable Desktop Experience in feature and windows audio services.

UB70

Pape you bring up a great point I was thinking about. Running virtual machine or 2 on the server with a different operating system. I know next to nothing about this but no better time to learn. Thanks for the info looks like I have a bunch of reading to do.

The servers not to loud but it is on a rack on the other side of the wall from my office. 2 -570 watt power supplies are gonna suck some juice. I'm only running one for now.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
you only need one to operate but better get the 2 running, server will be happy about it and you will not use more power unless you get in Blade system where you have from 2 to 4 PWR sup and power domain.

esxi is fairly simple, you register on VMware and download a free copy of vsphere / esxi. if your server is brand name IE: Dell it should be working out of the box unless it pretty old.

Once installed assign a ip address, mask and GW.
once you have the thing on the network use your windows desktop and go the https://ip_of_your_esxi
Install the client as web management will stop working once your trial end.
once the VMware vsphere client is installed point it to your esxi box and start managing the thing.

When you download the installation ISO note the serial number you receive. It not really required but it will keep the hypervisor from complaining about expired feature.

one rule of thumb, the total of ram of all your vm on the host must never exceed to the physical ram. You should also keep 1 gig ram for the hypervisor.

Also always assign the number of core you need. If it was not changed in 5.5 hypervisor will wait to have the number of core available before giving cpu time to the VM therefore if you have 4 cores CPU and 2 VM with 2 cores each both of them will receive cpu time together but if you have one 3 cores and a 2 cores they will need to go one after a other. Unless you run all at 100% you should not notice :)

quick tip, never forget to checkmark connect at startup on your CD rom inside your virtual machine because it will never boot on the cd or ISO for the VM OS install :)

Last tip always install the VM tools in your VM, will help with pointer and also control of the VM from the hypervisor.

UB70

Thanks for the tips on the license and checking connect. I watched their videos on loading and programming clients and loading vm's. It all seems pretty straight forward. I plan on tackling it this weekend. The server is only 4 years old and is a 6 core Dell so it should load pretty smoothly.

The layout and look is very much like windows 7. Which is what I use everyday so that's good.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
If you run in trouble with the vanilla install from VMware Dell also provide is own modified version for it hardware, still free but as I recommended put a key in it unless you love the nagging

Status
Not open for further replies.