Filter for ADS-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys,

I currently use a RTL dongle to feed my VSR server. I decided to upgrade my antenna and add a LNA4ALL. Doing this will probably give me poor result if I do not add a pass band filter, specially in my crowded city.

After research I came down to 2 models and wonder witch one is the better:

MiniCicuits VBFZ-1065+ This dongle was used by other peoples in the same situation as me with good result

Or

MiniCircuits ZX75BP-1100+ that I found to be more appropriate lower cut off.

Thanks

Pape

Premium Subscriber
Can be a option but I will need to also buy a noise generator / source so I can tune the filter properly.

prcguy

Pape

Premium Subscriber
I did take a look on ebay and did not find anything to my interest in a nice price range or did I miss something ?
guess I go back to my original idea

prcguy

The link was for a noise source that works from 50KHz to 1.5GHz and would allow you to tune filters using your RTL dongle. The noise source was priced under $20 with shipping. If that's out of your price range then I'm afraid I can't help you.
prcguy

I did take a look on ebay and did not find anything to my interest in a nice price range or did I miss something ?
guess I go back to my original idea

Pape

Premium Subscriber
sorry, I was referring to the filter.
source price is well acceptable.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
I started using the VBFZ-1065+ filter and saw a 10x increase in frames per second. I am in a high RF urban environment. Your results may vary.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Look at the insertion loss difference between those two MiniCircuits filters. Perhaps spend the money on the right one now. Everyone's RFI is different and I default to a filter before amplification. Insertion loss is a factor and that's when a clean signal boost may help. Unfortunately, one "may" need to then address the noise coming over from the AC power if not using a battery.

Please follow-up on this thread and let us know what you went with and how it is working out for you.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
I ordered the 1100+ as I prefer to have the entire 900 block.
I was aware of a lot of RF pollution around here but after testing the new antenna: it really bad and I do not have the LNA in yet.

I was more planning to put the LNA at the antenna and the filter at the receiver so I can amplify the weak signal, overcome the lost in coax / device and remove everything not needed signal wise at the receiver by using the filter.

What are the pro and con of doing filter than LNA ?

Thanks

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Putting the filter before the LNA reduces the chance of overloading the amp or creating intermod products in the amp.
The downside is any insertion loss in the filter is plain lost.

prcguy

The whole purpose of using a filter is to prevent overload from out of band interference and an LNA can be very susceptible to overload. The filter should always go in front of the LNA and hopefully the filter will have negligible insertion loss like .5dB or less. Even with 2dB of filter loss in front of an LNA you will probably receive things that were not possible without the filter and LNA combination.
prcguy

Pape

Premium Subscriber
Here are some comparison of filter and no filter.
Both where compared using the same antenna and signal.

the Setup
1e8bfa70-6a6e-406a-ac44-badad3faea57_zpslufzrsmn.jpg

this is the graph with the filter
9:00: 27 914 messages & 942 positions
10:00: 38 750 messages & 1 989 positions
11:00: 20 658 messages & 930 positions
W%20filter_zpse3b4bhwh.jpg

W%20filter-map_zpsbcbg0jcq.jpg

this is without the filter
9:00: 22 639 messages & 707 positions
10:00: 32 719 messages & 1 603 positions
11:00: 18 548 messages & 874 positions
WO%20filter_zpsyeg99dkx.jpg

Wo-filter-map_zps0pk2lxxj.jpg

So this is my quick test, I wish I have less lost in my wiring and adaptors but this is what it is.

This is a combined map
Combine-map_zpsvktqvtwu.jpg

More to come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.