Outdated STARRS Wiki article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

Good afternoon,

Starcom21, and others who can help, please take a moment, and help us with a Wiki-article:

In the Wiki forum, some questions have been raised, which a moderator suggested we should ask here in the local forum for better/quicker response.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
STARRS, as an organization, is very much alive. A lot of the equipment you saw/heard about being used during the Ferguson unrest was purchased via STARRS with department of homeland security money.

As far as the radio system is concerned, here's what I know/heard.

The STARRS radio system was a proposed digital microwave link between all Metro East counties, and their associated radio systems. The idea was to interop public safety radio systems/users and non-public safety entities. Basically everyone could talk to anyone in event of a large scale incident. I don't know exactly what happened.

I had heard the Microwave link hit severe money problems, then they had to wait for "SLATER", and STARCOM updates. I know the STARRS "site" (again not online) in Columbia IL was installed and is ready for whatever. The other "sites" in St. Clair Co were at one time being installed, Madison Co IL was getting final path studies. Franklin Co was fighting over finding funds (also a reason they aren't on SLATER), the city site(s) might be up, not sure, and the others I have no idea. Take a look at the links below and you'll notice, a lot of the proposed "sites" are where towers for current systems are located.

I always wondered if the StL City south site and the IL METRO site were part of this. I know many METRO radios given to public safety entities for METRO interop were purchased through STARRS.

St. Louis Area Regional Response System Website
http://www.stl-starrs.org/library/presentations/microwavepresentation-June2010.pdf
RCC Consultants: Case Study: East-West Gateway Regional Digital Microwave System

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting. I have not checked the links yet but the system/organization seems more alive than I thought. I wonder why we don't hear of it very much, or at all? Almost sounds like a duplicate of what is already out there.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
When I renamed the SLATER system, I couldn't find the former wiki page to "move" it to the new name.

STARRS seemed to be an early part of the licensing (FCC, towers) and then havent seen much on it (news wise)

Hope that helps.

Terry

Good afternoon,

Starcom21, and others who can help, please take a moment, and help us with a Wiki-article:

In the Wiki forum, some questions have been raised, which a moderator suggested we should ask here in the local forum for better/quicker response.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

QDP2012

When I renamed the SLATER system, I couldn't find the former wiki page to "move" it to the new name.

STARRS seemed to be an early part of the licensing (FCC, towers) and then havent seen much on it (news wise)

So, am I understanding correctly...did STARRS get renamed as SLATER in the RRDB?

Thanks,

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
STARRS was an OLLLLLD system, originally entered. Not sure where that went.

St Louis Regional Communications was renamed to SLATER.

Hope this clarifies.

Terry

So, am I understanding correctly...did STARRS get renamed as SLATER in the RRDB?

Thanks,

QDP2012

STARRS was an OLLLLLD system, originally entered. Not sure where that went.

St Louis Regional Communications was renamed to SLATER.

Hope this clarifies.

Terry

1) That, and the note you added to St. Louis Regional Communications (P25), clears-up the question about the page at that link. The info on that page will be merged into the new SLATER page, and then blanked to eliminate page-name confusion, if that is okay with you.

EDIT: Actually, there's no valid info to merge from the above page into the SLATER page, so the above page can be simply blanked.

2) What do you think should happen to the Wiki page * STARRS - St Louis Area Regional Response System? It's data seems years-old, and possibly unusable at this point. Should it be deleted?

EDIT 2: If the page is kept, I plan to rename it to remove the asterisk from the name, so that it sorts correctly in the category lists.

Thanks again,

Last edited:

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
So I did some digging and asked some questions regarding STARRS in relation mostly to radio communciations. It's actually more simple than I thought.

The communications aspect of STARRS is actually just microwave links to all the radio systems in the area that enable certain TGs to be patched into all the systems at one time.

The plan, at one time, was for certain TGs to be used all the time for things like pursuits, requesting fire mutual aid etc so that EVERYONE could monitor it at all times anywhere in the metro area. It was to eliminate all these mutual aid channels that some use and some don't, Co Calls, land line requests etc.

The main purpose of the links is so in a multi jurisdictional incident, everyone can use their own radio from their own system and all be one the same TG.

The links are in fact online and more are being added at this time.

If the wiki stays, I can add to it what I know

QDP2012

If the wiki stays, I can add to it what I know

The page has been renamed, to remove the asterisk symbol from the name.

The page is now located at: STARRS - St Louis Area Regional Response System

Thanks for looking into the current status of STARRS, and for being willing to update the wiki page. Some/Much of what is on the page might need to be removed, if it is out of date or useless information.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.