• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland 13-898

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
I saw a post for a Midland 13-898. asking $25, so I'm thinking of getting it. I tried searching some, but can't seem to find any specifications. does anyone know the output power is on these. The person selling it has no clue what it is, all they know is that it powers on and off.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's a cb. 4 watts should be the rf out, as all the other cb's. :wink:

n9zas

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
It's a cb. 4 watts should be the rf out, as all the other cb's. :wink:

n9zas

These were manufactured back in the 70's old 23 channel CB. Now according to an advertisement from a 1973 magazine, it has 5 watts on AM, and 15 on SSB. :lol:
Did some searching on wikipedia, and i find this:
"The older 23-channel radios built under the old specifications typically had an output of around 3.5 to 3.8 watts output when measured at the antenna connector."

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Matt, what Midland was doing ( and still do ) was marketing hype. Technically you can have 5 watts to the input of the final amplifier, but only 4 watts out to the antenna connector per fcc rules.
However on SSB the rule is 12 watts PEP ( peak envelope power) not 15 as they claim. :wink:

n9zas

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Matt, what Midland was doing ( and still do ) was marketing hype. Technically you can have 5 watts to the input of the final amplifier, but only 4 watts out to the antenna connector per fcc rules.
However on SSB the rule is 12 watts PEP ( peak envelope power) not 15 as they claim. :wink:

n9zas

Thanks for the info. They sent me some pictures, and it comes with an SWR/Watt meter, manual and mic. Ill post some pics when i get it, and get it set up.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Here is a picture of it. Works decent. When I key the mic, I can hear the carrier on my other radio, and scanner, but I get no audio. So I took the Uniden microphone and tried it with the Midland, and same issue, carrier but no audio. When I tried the midland microphone with the Uniden, it wouldn't do anything. Both microphones are the 4 pin. The midland receives perfectly. Any places on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20150131_174336[1].jpg
    IMG_20150131_174336[1].jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:

Retroradio

Had a similar issue recently and after verifying the mic pin-outs online, wired up a known good mic and solved the issue. Actually had a mic with a dead element.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Had a similar issue recently and after verifying the mic pin-outs online, wired up a known good mic and solved the issue. Actually had a mic with a dead element.

Did you have a probel with this specific radio by chance? I thought it was weird that the Midland and Uniden have the same connector, but apparently did not work correctly. The Uniden mic works on the Uniden CB, but both mics would only send a carrier signal on the Midland..

kc8kek

Yeah check the pinouts for the mic...even recently, different manufacturers have had different pin functions, even though it is a four pin mic and it still fits in the socket. I don't know anything about old Midland bases, but it seems like a fair chance that could be it.

Look through some of the boards online, there's some info out there on these radios. Kinda limited even on SSB with only 23 channels, but you might be able to find a mod and get higher up the band if you're looking for a project, have some basic soldering skills....and patience

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
You were Right. So i quick wired up another test mic, unfortunately with same result. Carrier but no audio, which makes me believe the problem in internally. I used test leads between the Unidens audio/ground and the mic wires inside the Midland. And also a Motorola Desk Microphone wired according to midland pin outs. SO this makes me believe theres something internally going on. Im stumped.
Unidens Pin out for the BC645
1. Shield/Ground
2. Audio Out
3. Transmit
4. Receive.

Midlands pinout:
1. Audio
2. Ground
3. PTT
4. Not Used

Retroradio

The pinouts on the new Midland are quite different than the older Midlands is what I found online. Also look at the actual pin numbers as charts vary from a front view to a back view of the connector.
I ran "Midland cb mic wiring" on google and the answer was right there as a chart.
Post your results, pls.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
The pin outs that i listed above are correct, I tested them this morning with my wire testers. Seems the PTT clicks when the PTT connects to the Ground. Which leaves pin 1 as Audio Hot, and pin 3 as Ground. So with the microphones working correctly, this means the Audio problem is inside the Unit itself. I cannot find any diagrams of the insides of this anywhere, so I will attempt to E-Mail Midland, and see if they would have any insight.

Retroradio

Other than test it did you verify the pin outs online ....old Midland vs New Midland mic wiring?
Anyway, best of luck with it. I am curious to see how it works out as my name indicates Im a fan of old radios!

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Other than test it did you verify the pin outs online ....old Midland vs New Midland mic wiring?
Anyway, best of luck with it. I am curious to see how it works out as my name indicates Im a fan of old radios!

Yes I verified the pin outs. I would love to see this working too, but I don't know anything about the interior circuitry to know where to start troubleshooting.

Retroradio

Best of luck with the project. I only re-mentioned the pin outs again as I found a different diagram than what you mentioned. As you have apparently checked everything then its research time. This is the fun in radio...building dipoles and figuring out mic wiring......lol
Cheers from snowy Canada

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Best of luck with the project. I only re-mentioned the pin outs again as I found a different diagram than what you mentioned. As you have apparently checked everything then its research time. This is the fun in radio...building dipoles and figuring out mic wiring......lol
Cheers from snowy Canada

This is the site that I looked at to verify...BellsCB.Com
If you found something else, please share

Retroradio

in gGoogle I typed in Midland cb mic wiring. the first image on the left which (a mic wiring chart ) shows old and new Midland wiring. It is from Walcottradio.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
If it has a "click" inside the radio when you key the mike, or jumper across the transmit pin and ground, it is a "relay-keyed" radio... many older 23 channel radios were. Sometimes the relay contacts tarnish and don't make good contact. I have taken the covers off the relays in the radios and used a "burnishing tool" to clean them with success usually, though sometimes temporarily. I ran several different Midlands back in the day, they were fairly durable radios. Make sure the PA switch is not set to PA also, as this setting will bypass the transmit audio the PA output jack on the back of the radio. If I remember right, there were several pinout versions for Midlands, and most had 4 prong plugs.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
"And also a Motorola Desk Microphone wired according to midland pin outs"
Motorola equipment is a breed of it's own... if it is an old Motorola cb desk mike it probably was amplified and got its power off the radio...i doubt if it would work on a Midland... if you can find an old Turner Plus3 desk mike they sounded great on Midlands most of the time

Retroradio

KD2DXF - If you dont mind my asking , how are you doing with the radio? Its always good to see how a problem resolves itself in case it ever comes up again....

Status
Not open for further replies.