SDR dongle, PDW and 1200 baud

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have been using PDW with SDR and a tv dongle for months and it will decode 512 baud all day. It will NOT however decode 1200 baud. I have all the settings set up so that it can decode 1200 baud.. any ideas?

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Use SDR# and Activate -> Digital Noise Reduction -> Audio -> -70dB

Your_account

Banned
i dont know what i do there are some other who can explan but i cant tell you when i activate it PWD decode Pocsac in my Area.

rbm

Here are the settings that work for me.

Also .........
Make sure that you have your 'Frequency Corrections (ppm) calibrated properly.

Rich

Last edited:

rbm

Try again. I just updated it to show the RF gain and Frequency Correction. ;)

Click on it, then click on the magnifying glass to see the high resolution image.

Rich

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
I find pdw does not decode much 4-level signal. I have a Texas 4-level decoder that I use on win xp with a real com port and it will decoder all phases of pager just fine. I have had the rtl and 4-level running side by side and the 4-level always wins.

Voyager

can someone explain to me what the frequency correlation (ppm) function is for?

It sets the dongle "on-frequency" (nets the crystal oscillator). Without this, you may be several kHz off the displayed frequency. You can usually use a local NOAA transmitter to get close to on-frequency. Zoom in so the signal occupies the width of the spectrum display, and tune for symmetrical (or wait for silent parts and center that carrier).

And for lower rate signals, you may need to set the ORDER (in the RADIO tab) to 10.

Last, be sure what you are decoding isn't prohibited by the ECPA of 1994.

Your_account

Banned
In the most Country its ilegal to decode Pager and other Signals who are not Public like FM Radio.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
"In the most Country its illegal to decode Pager and other Signals who are not Public like FM Radio. " Don't think so...Just can't use the info you see/rec. If you do...then it becomes illegal. Just like a scanner...not encrypted.

mancow

Database Admin
I have been using PDW with SDR and a tv dongle for months and it will decode 512 baud all day. It will NOT however decode 1200 baud. I have all the settings set up so that it can decode 1200 baud.. any ideas?

Do you have the filter audio box unchecked in the audio section?

Voyager

"In the most Country its illegal to decode Pager and other Signals who are not Public like FM Radio. " Don't think so...Just can't use the info you see/rec. If you do...then it becomes illegal. Just like a scanner...not encrypted.

You're in Canada, so ECPA 1994 does not apply, but in the USA it does apply and makes Part 22 paging frequencies illegal to monitor - period.

Your_account

Banned
There are more Contry in the World than USA...
So in many Country is ilegal to have a device who can receive more than FM.

And in the quite all European Contry the law is everything who is not transmit for you or Public Broadcast is illegal to recive.

I know some People who go to Prission only for Posting the Police Frequency in a Public Forum...
So before you try to decode anything ask a layer first.

nasa806

Premium Subscriber
I find pdw does not decode much 4-level signal. I have a Texas 4-level decoder that I use on win xp with a real com port and it will decoder all phases of pager just fine. I have had the rtl and 4-level running side by side and the 4-level always wins.

I agree, I have SDR and I am decoding Flex 6400 working pretty well but only decodes A and C. Not sure why but it will not decode B and D. Which makes you miss a lot of pages.

Works good for somebody not wanting to set up a 4 level slicer but side by side the 4 level slicer with com port blows it away.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
"I agree, I have SDR and I am decoding Flex 6400 working pretty well but only decodes A and C. Not sure why but it will not decode B and D. Which makes you miss a lot of pages."

Does anyone know why this is? I have not seen it discussed anywhere and would really like to know. I only noticed it because I can use 4-level or dongle.

nasa806

Premium Subscriber
I also would like to find out why. Hopefully someone can shed some light on why this is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.