Reinforcing the RS Discone antenna...

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
I have one that's been up for 12, going on 13 years. I have lost 3 or 4 cone elements (the ones hanging down). This disc elements are fine. Nevertheless, its not functioning as well as it should in my testing. I'm not only replacing the antenna but also the cable.
My plan to reinforce the cone elements is simple. I plan to buy a couple feet of plastic tubing & cutting off a inch or two section. I will then put that section at the connection between the main antenna & the cone element. I will either pack the tube with JB Weld epoxy or Super Glue & allow it to cure inside, & upside down so it will bond with the main antenna shaft. I won't bother with the disc section, just the cone section's elements.
Thoughts?

PACNWDude

3M 5200 Works also.

That should work with JB weld. I had to do the same thing to one once with 3M 5200. Working on ships it was common for Radio Shack discone and aviation style antennas to need some help after being outside for long periods of time.

3M 5200 is used in the marine industry as a sealant and adhesive and is waterproof.
Home Depot and Lowes carry it at lower prices than West Marine or any other marine store.

mancow

Database Admin
They are tubes crimped over metal studs. I would consider drilling a small hole at the joint then wrapping some small wire through or putting a small brad nail through it.

Last edited:

prcguy

I drilled out the hub on a RS Discone and threaded it to accept 3/16 solid aluminum rods. I used either 10-24 or 10-32 threads, I forgot which but its still holding up after about 10yrs. The 3/16 rod was cheap, under $3 in 12ft lengths.
prcguy

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Having had at least three RS discones, I can say that mechanically they are poorly made compared to the ones from Diamond etc. My present one has been up for several years without a problem.

I think the aluminum rod idea is great. The weak point on the elements is where the tubes crimp onto the threads as mentioned above. Getting rid of that and replacing them with rod is a good solution.

For myself, I'm just going to buy a Diamond when the RS fails.

KZ9G

Premium Subscriber
I replaced all the cone elements with rods. I took one of the broken off elements into the local hardware store and found what pitch and size the threads were and bought a die and just cut threads into a rod. I have seen people use brass welding rods to replace the elements also.

Status
Not open for further replies.