• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM1550 Programming Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prison_Radio

Hello All,

I recently took over the radio communications for a small correctional facility and to be honest have never worked with radios in any other capacity then as a user/installer.It kinda just fell in my lap. I have been making slow improvements in the radio system since. We have a Motorola Quantar Repeater in the VHF frequency band on our water tower and use HT750 portables, CDM1250 and 1550 mobile radios. I have the newest version of CPS and the programming cables for all of our radios in service and several that we no longer use.

We recently replaced the CM200 that was our dispatch center radio with a CDM 1550 and updated all of our radios to emit a PTT ID via MDC with aliasing at the dispatch radio. This was to allow us to see who was talking and to begin the process of enabling emergency signaling for fixed posts such as cell houses and medical staff.

I have been successful so far with help from the local Emergency Mgt, but have been unable to figure our something that I think would be beneficial and other facilities use during emergencies.

I would like to program a button on the CDM1550 to emit an emergency alert tone (Alert 2 or 3) that the dispatcher could activate after someone requests emergency help that would be like a Perk up or Alert that officers knew meant an emergency had been called and the dispatcher was going to give the information out.

Sounds odd, but our other facilities use it. We do not have the funds for a dispatch console or MIP5000 that would obviously be able to do this.

Sorry for the long post, but i felt that I needed to explain myself fully.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I recently took over the radio communications for a small correctional facility and to be honest have never worked with radios in any other capacity then as a user/installer.It kinda just fell in my lap. I have been making slow improvements in the radio system since. We have a Motorola Quantar Repeater in the VHF frequency band on our water tower and use HT750 portables, CDM1250 and 1550 mobile radios. I have the newest version of CPS and the programming cables for all of our radios in service and several that we no longer use.

We recently replaced the CM200 that was our dispatch center radio with a CDM 1550 and updated all of our radios to emit a PTT ID via MDC with aliasing at the dispatch radio. This was to allow us to see who was talking and to begin the process of enabling emergency signaling for fixed posts such as cell houses and medical staff.

I have been successful so far with help from the local Emergency Mgt, but have been unable to figure our something that I think would be beneficial and other facilities use during emergencies.

I would like to program a button on the CDM1550 to emit an emergency alert tone (Alert 2 or 3) that the dispatcher could activate after someone requests emergency help that would be like a Perk up or Alert that officers knew meant an emergency had been called and the dispatcher was going to give the information out.

Sounds odd, but our other facilities use it. We do not have the funds for a dispatch console or MIP5000 that would obviously be able to do this.

Sorry for the long post, but i felt that I needed to explain myself fully.
You can program one of the buttons for Call Alert Member #1. Define Member #1 in QC-II with Tone A and Tone B of 1050 hz. Assign that QC-II system to your transmit frequency.

It's a two step process to send the tone. Press the button you defined. It will show Call Alert #1 on the screen. Then press PTT to send the tone.

This only works if you are not using MDC on the Tx side for your base radio. You're using MDC on the Rx side to ID units and that's a good thing. If you have to use MDC on the Tx side of the base radio, you can't have more than one signalling system assigned to a personality.

Since this is a prison environment, simpler is better, especially when the SHTF. Instead of programming the radio for this, you may wish to think about adding a small aftermarket encoder for your alert tone. They're easy to hook up to a CDM, and have the advantage that the tone is only transmitted for the length of time you hold the button down. The QC-II has fixed tone times and that may not be ideal. And you'd have the advantage of still being able to transmit MDC as well as receive it.

Prison_Radio

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think I can make that work. The CDM only decodes the MDC, it does not send a PTT id. I play with it in the AM and see what I can make work.

Status
Not open for further replies.