Trouble programming BC796D 152.3225 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1vlf

Hello Folks,

I have had a BC796D scanner for a few years now. Mine has the APCO 25 board installed.
Recently the local police have gone digital and changed frequency.
Torrington Connecticut frequency 152.3225

The problem I have is that I cannot get 152.3225 Mhz load into the scanner. When entering the frequency I can get the 152.3225 to show up, but when I push the "E" key it comes out as 152.3250.

So I went to the frequency step menu and changed it from AUTO to 5Khz. No good the correct frequency will not enter. I also tried 12.5 6.25 etc, but I only get frequency increments of 25 Khz.

I recently did the 800 mhz rebanding firmware upgrade thinking that might help but no good.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oh.. I also reset the scanner to factory default.. no difference

Thank you

PauLC
W1VLF

captclint

Mentor
I believe you want 7.5 step. I would also change that in the bandplan.to allow 7.5 Even so, you should be able tor receive Torrington Connecticut very only very slightly off freq.

Last edited:

w1vlf

Hello Capn,

I am not sure how to change the :bandplan" I tried all the options I have under the "STEP" menu.

5, 6.25, 12.5, etc The only the increment will work enter is increments of 25 Khz.

152.3250 does not get me close enough to copy the station.

I am still in a quandary here. I have a feeling that the fix is going to be somethig simple

PauLC

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
The Captain's got it right, a 7.5 KHz step is all you need to enter this frequency into your 796D.

Last edited:

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure about that frequency, I don't see it licensed to them in the RR or FCC databases.

I found it in the RR database. I took a quick look for it at the FCC db, but I haven't yet learned my way around there very well.

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
Hello Capn,

I am not sure how to change the :bandplan" I tried all the options I have under the "STEP" menu.

5, 6.25, 12.5, etc The only the increment will work enter is increments of 25 Khz.

152.3250 does not get me close enough to copy the station.
I confess that I did this with ARC software, but I don't know how to allow 7.5 step manually. In ARC250, it can be found under set-up, software options. However, I am quite sure that if you can't hear anything on 152.3250, you will not hear any more with 152.3225. That difference is just too small to matter with a scanner.

captclint

Mentor
Are you sure about that frequency, I don't see it licensed to them in the RR or FCC databases.
You may be on to something. As you point out, the license listed for Torrington does not show 152.3225 at all. This would explain why PaulC does not hear anything on 152.3250. Instead, it lists:155.655. WNSU505 (Torrington, City of) FCC Callsign Details

When I click on the FRN, it gives another; 153.740 http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?frn=0003565736 In addition, neither is licensed for P25.

It seems as if there may be an error in the database.

PauLC
Suggest you try both of these, and also head over to the CT forum and see if someone can explain the error, and/or give you the correct freq.

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
Not a typo, that is their frequency. I believe it is licensed to their radio company.
If I recall, with the older Uniden scanners that will do the 7.5KHz step, you need to change the step first then program the frequency.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.