Gigabit Switch that doesn't generate RFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2kth

So I've grown tired of the RFI generated in my home office where most of the computer gear lives. One piece of equipment - a Cisco/Linksys SD2005 ver 2.2 5-port gigabit Ethernet switch is generating a ton of RFI on 2 meters. As it would happen to be the frequency for my local club repeater is completely unusable as I can't squelch out the RFI noise.

Has anyone has good luck with a gigabit Ethernet switch of the 5-8 port desktop variety preferably that does not generate RFI? Looking through various posts it seems beyond the typical issue of the switching power supply Linksys is aware that the RFI is being sent over the CAT5/CAT5e cables connected to the device. Therefore simply trying a new power supply in this case likely will not suffice.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
I dont know the exact model number since the switch is at home and I am at work, but I have a Netgear 8 port gigabit switch and have zero problems with it producing RFI in my shack where it is located.Maybe a switch in brands is in order?

mikepdx

Why are you positive it's the switch itself that's the issue??

Try swapping ethernet jumper cables.
I've found most noise is radiated from them.

I solved a similar problem at a friends
apartment. The source was ethernet cables
in an adjoining apartment radiating junk.

Simply replacing one and re-routing another
got rid of the offending RF noise.

kc2kth

Why are you positive it's the switch itself that's the issue??

Try swapping ethernet jumper cables.
I've found most noise is radiated from them.

I solved a similar problem at a friends
apartment. The source was ethernet cables
in an adjoining apartment radiating junk.

Simply replacing one and re-routing another
got rid of the offending RF noise.

Good idea, but one I had a while back myself unfortunately. I actually disconnected all of the CAT5 cables from the switch and reconnected each one at a time. I found no difference. Also tried coiling any excess per Linksys recommendations to another person who had similar issues, no change there. The noise radiating along the cables may be an issue in some cases, here I think I am just so close to the noise that it didn't matter. I started poking around looking at aftermarket regulated linear supplies. Seems like in general these switchers can be replaced for around $20. I may go that route.

kc2kth

I dont know the exact model number since the switch is at home and I am at work, but I have a Netgear 8 port gigabit switch and have zero problems with it producing RFI in my shack where it is located.Maybe a switch in brands is in order?

I'm certainly not married to Linksys or Cisco. When I bought this a few years back I thought buying the Cisco/Linksys small business line vs the home user line would get me a better built unit. Clearly it did not! What it did get me was that a call to Cisco for support would cost $75 min if I wanted to discuss with them. I don't.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
You should be using shielded Ethernet cables if you suspect the cables are radiating (they probably are). Others posting on RR have reported shielded Ethernet solved most or even all of their problem (along with a switch / router that generates less RFI).

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have two gigabit Netgear switches in my home. An 8-port in my office, 3 feet from my scanner, and a 5-port behind my TV in the living room. I use CAT-6 cable. No interference of any kind.

The Netgear has a metal housing.

Last edited:

rbm

I have eleven gigabit switches in use here. (Some with POE ports)

Mostly from:
Netgear
TP-Link
D-Link

Six of those switches are sitting right next to my scanners with no problems.

I also have a bunch of 'CyberData 2-Port PoE Gigabit Switches' scattered around.

I've only had RFI problems two times.

One was a bad DC power supply and the other time was caused by a bad POE supply in one of the surveillance cameras.

Rich

Edit: For RFI on two meters, I'd be very suspicious of the switching power supply.

kc2kth

I have two gigabit Netgear switches in my home. An 8-port in my office, 3 feet from my scanner, and a 5-port behind my TV in the living room. I use CAT-6 cable. No interference of any kind.

The Netgear has a metal housing.

Geez, I forgot about that 16 port Netgear behind my tv cabinet. Just checked and it's quiet! I'm glad you mentioned that. I upgraded (really removed the majority of) my cat5 and am mostly 5e now. When I put the gig uplink in the office I removed four runs to the basement that were used for a mix of POTS and Ethernet. I replaced all of it with a single gig link to the switch in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.