Dougls County GA,

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmj

Is there anyone that can host the feed for Douglas county Sheriff and the Fire/EMS. Apparently they change to Turbo and the previous host of the feed is now off line. I really miss listening to this feed

Thank you in advance

rapidcharger

The bad news is there aren't any scanners that will pick that up.
The good news is using an inexpensive tuner dongle and some free software, you can receive it yourself with some patience and some practice.
Being that it's digital now, which is never good news for the hobby, if it gets streamed, they probably won't like that and flip turn on enhanced privacy. Maybe not, but that possibility is always there.

msmj

Douglas County GA

Thank you for your quick response. I did read the host of the Paulding County GA feed was able to configure around the Moto Turbo. Not being a tech myself, maybe someone can contact him for advice on how he did this in order to provide the Douglas County feed.

rapidcharger

Thank you for your quick response. I did read the host of the Paulding County GA feed was able to configure around the Moto Turbo. Not being a tech myself, maybe someone can contact him for advice on how he did this in order to provide the Douglas County feed.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong .... I was told something about this and not sure it this is it... but I believe they just have the frequencies programmed in a conventional zone into a DMR transceiver..

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
I have tried to decode the mess and I can't, but please try. It was my first experience with the SDR. I was able to decode P25 easily, so I know I was doing something right.

152.08250 is the only frequency they are using at this point.

According to the notes of the Paulding County feed provider, he uses 3 computers to decode the DMR Motorola Linked Capacity Plus. I believe DC Sheriff is not "linked", whatever that means.

Have fun and let me know how I can help.

Bujinkan

During my testing I only received garbled audio using DSD and UniTrunker. As I stated in the support thread, I reached out to the PC provider for information before the change and the person never responded. Having three computers to decode the signal is a bit much with the cost of the PC's plus the extra power required.

As the provider, all expenses are incurred by me. The only benefit I have over the listener is access to extra archives. RR still tries to get us to pay to download the frequency database.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
As the provider, all expenses are incurred by me. The only benefit I have over the listener is access to extra archives. RR still tries to get us to pay to download the frequency database.

All the more reason to NOT be a feed provider. One incurs all the expenses, liability, and receives ZERO compensation while someone else' profits. Absurd.

As far as the garbled audio, is it possible Douglas county is using basic or enhanced privacy? Also, the system is actually run by a radio shop, not actually licensed to the county. This is my understanding, correct me if I am wrong. So this may be why the frequency data is not showing up in the ULS under the agency name.

rapidcharger

So I listened some last night on that 152.0825 frequency that's shown in the database and didn't hear anything. I listed today on some nearby frequencies (152.4 and 152.55) in that range and I did hear some DMR activity but the signal wasn't coming in strong enough to decode it. It was garbly but that doesn't necessarily mean it's encrypted as it usually says so and mutes that audio and the data stream was flowing strong enough to where it would have said that. Unfortunately I only have the antenna that was supplied with the dongle as the dongle does not have a connector that is compatible with any of my base antennas.

The information on the Dougal county page in the database isn't accurate.
Yes, it's rumored they are outsourcing to a private common carrier service (an SMR) but that frequency is not licensed to any company for that purpose. Neither were the frequencies that I hear DMR activity on. There are license call signs shown in the radio reference DB but they are for a paging service, not part 90 trunking/voice. The 152mHz range is typically used for taxi cabs so it's anybody's guess at this point.

So unless someone who knows for sure or bothers to dig a little deeper into the contract they have and with whom, I guess we will continue to speculate and monitor the wrong frequencies.

wise871

Database Admin
I'll be in Atlanta in 2 weeks. Guess I will bring laptop, USB dongle, mobile antenna and see what I can find. I know I was able to monitor the old system from my folks house.

DanRollman

Database Admin
The information on the Dougal county page in the database isn't accurate.
Yes, it's rumored they are outsourcing to a private common carrier service (an SMR) but that frequency is not licensed to any company for that purpose. Neither were the frequencies that I hear DMR activity on. There are license call signs shown in the radio reference DB but they are for a paging service, not part 90 trunking/voice. The 152mHz range is typically used for taxi cabs so it's anybody's guess at this point

The frequency on the Douglas County DMR page is properly licensed, they just happen to reuse Part 22 frequencies. This is not improper. RadioReference elects not to include Part 22 in its FCC Database, even though many Part 22 frequencies are today used for regular land mobile two-way radio, including public safety. See Part 22 Paging Channels - The RadioReference Wiki for details on this type of usage. White County, GA and Habersham County, GA sheriff and fire have the same sort of setup - MotoTRBO on properly licensed Part 22 frequencies that don't show up in the RadioReference FCC database but do show up on the ULS database at fcc.gov. Unfortunately, since Part 22 uses a "range" of frequencies licensed broadly across a "market," you don't get to see a precise frequency licensed to a precise tower location. But if you hold the Part 22 license, you're free to use frequencies within that range inside that market area.

Remember, it just isn't true that a frequency is unlicensed (or expired) just because the RR FCC database says so. The RR FCC database is a subset of the real FCC database. Rely on it at your own risk.

All of that said - I do think there is one inaccuracy on the RR page for Douglas County TRBO. To me, talkgroup 100 sure does sound encrypted when monitored on my CS701 radio.

Dan

KD4YGG

Database Admin
To me said:
Dan - I agree based on some limited monitoring with a PSR-800 feeding the IF output into DSD+. Never was able to get anything but what appeared to be typical of encryption.

rapidcharger

The frequency on the Douglas County DMR page is properly licensed, they just happen to reuse Part 22 frequencies. This is not improper.

How is it not improper? :confused:
They're using frequencies licensed for paging and radiotelephony for something other than paging and radiotelephony, there are only about 3 dozen specific frequencies that can be used for 2-way and that 0825 splinter frequency isn't one of them. The radios aren't likely certified for part 22 and I'm betting there's some emission types that aren't kosher either. Is the station even being identified?

Please explain it to me, I'm just a dumdum.

JRayfield

There are many cases where the FCC has allowed 'old' part 22 frequencies to be licensed/used under part 90. This was done because most of them are no longer needed for the original part 22 use (such as paging or mobiletelephone) in many parts of the country. At least some of these 'old' part 22 frequencies were either granted' through a lottery process or were 'sold' through auctions. I know one person in Kansas City who 'won/purchased' some of these frequencies in the Springfield MO area through an auction. These frequencies can then be used for operations that are normally licensed under part 90.

John Rayfield, Jr.
Rayfield Communications

They're using frequencies licensed for paging and radiotelephony for something other than paging and radiotelephony, there are only about 3 dozen specific frequencies that can be used for 2-way and that 0825 splinter frequency isn't one of them. The radios aren't likely certified for part 22 and I'm betting there's some emission types that aren't kosher either. Is the station even being identified?

Please explain it to me, I'm just a dumdum.

DanRollman

Database Admin

Haven't needed to be a common carrier in Part 22 since 2005. And a routine section 1.925 waiver allows exactly what Douglas County (and White County, and Habersham County, and more all over the country) are doing on Part 22 frequencies. The waivers have become so routine for this sort of part 22 usage, that the FCC just closed a comment period for proposed ruled changes so that this sort of part 22 frequency usage would be ok without even needing the rubber-stamp waiver you need now.

Among the various comments (virtually all in favor of ceasing to require the silly waiver to operate this way on Part 22 frequencies), LMCC's comment letter also has some nice history on Part 22 and the transition we've see. See http://www.enterprisewireless.org/sites/default/files/lmcc_comments_re_part_22_rule_mod.pdf.

Remember, the "rules" are only the rules absent a waiver. Which, in some areas of LMR, are granted on a routine basis. And there's nothing "improper" about complying with the rules that remain after taking into account a waiver.

Dan

DanRollman

Database Admin
Oh! So they got a waiver! Why didn't ya say so?

Because it's pretty much a given in Part 22 these days. Didn't know I needed to say it, since LMR two-way conventional and trunked systems are all over the old part 22 frequencies, all over the country, these days. Just saying - nothing special about Douglas County here.

Status
Not open for further replies.