The Meaning Of DP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jromeo

This is such a newb question, but I often hear dispatchers and police officers referring to the "DP" (some other meaning for the suspect or perpetrator), but I can't find the definition of it anywhere. Please help. If someone has the URL to a comprehensive glossary of scanner terms they prefer, please provide that as well. Thanks very much.

avdrummerboy

Where/ what are you listening to? Every dept. has their own code system, some of it is universal, but we'll need to know where you are and what dept.

Are you sure you haven't heard DB (Dead Body)? Hopefully not if you're hearing it a lot. Another one you'll hear a lot is RP (Reporting Party)

Have you tried googling (or searching on here) for a list of codes and acronyms for the system you're listening to?

ecps92

Domestic Partner ??

This is such a newb question, but I often hear dispatchers and police officers referring to the "DP" (some other meaning for the suspect or perpetrator), but I can't find the definition of it anywhere. Please help. If someone has the URL to a comprehensive glossary of scanner terms they prefer, please provide that as well. Thanks very much.

mciupa

I saw by your posting history that you were interested in LAPD. They have a list of acronyms which includes DP.

http://www.keypoint.us.com/Content/PublicReports/LAPD_Q10_Report_appendixB.pdf

dmg1969

An example would have helped. You can generally tell by listening to the context in which it is used. One example I have figured out is "Act 64". If you hear it a few times and take it in context, I figured out that it means illegal drugs. The other day, I heard a call for a 10-40, which I had never hear my county use. But, taken in context, I knew it meant a domestic.

A location,Or what dept your hearing it on would be helpful.
Different agencies may have codes that are similar,but have
varied meanings.

Ive heard DP used to describe Drunk Person,But its also referred to as DK..
DP also as Disorderly Party/Person...All depends on where you are
and the passed down lingo or common-standardized radio codes.

DJ11DLN

...or, "detained person," I've heard it used for that a few times, it was usually obvious from the context. Seriously, this is one of those things that is going to vary widely as to location, there won't be any one right or wrong answer. Have you considered just asking? Not all LE are completely paranoid about people with scanners...the worst they could say, I'd imagine, would be, "None of your business!" :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.