• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Getting into professional radio work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ealdwine

Radios have always interested me, and at some point I decided I wanted to be a radio operator or technician.

I've been trying to get my foot in the door for years, but haven't had much luck. I have an associates in electronics, and am a hobbyist. I'm good with computers, networking, and have also taken some classes in those areas.

I can't even get an interview without experience, but I can't get experience because I can't even get an interview.

I have been thinking about taking the grol tests and getting an FCC license, but the guys I spoke to locally (mostly the radio guys for the local PD, its a big city) said it won't help unless I have experience to back it up.

Is there anything I can do to boost my chances for finding entry level work?

Are there any good places to look? Most of the job postings I see are government, but they always require years of experience even for the entry level jobs.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I was in the exact same position about 5 years ago. Plenty of job openings in my area but no one wanted me because I had no experience. It was tough but what finally helped was getting an unpaid internship (through the career help office at the technical school I went to) with the Virginia State Police in their radio shop. It was great but they weren't hiring at the time.

About 3 months later, also with help from the school I had just graduated from, one of the local Motorola dealers was looking for an entry level technician and they were willing to basically apprentice me. I've been here since and am enjoying it immensely but know that I still have much to learn.

I considered the GROL too, and I might still, but at least here, becoming a Certified Electronics Technician is more important. I guess the best thing to do is continue trying everywhere you can or even see if you can talk to the guys at a local radio shop. Good luck.

PACNWDude

It might be easier in my area, but many people have their amateur license, get their GROL and then volunteer with their CERT, Community Emergency Response Team. And going to amateur club meetings int he local area. This usually turns into a job at some point with networking with other people.

In Washington and Oregon that GROL helps a lot. One niche I have used for extra money, is that with a GROL you can certify boat and vessel radio equipment also. So if you have a marina in the local area, they always need help with installs.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Radios have always interested me, and at some point I decided I wanted to be a radio operator or technician.

I've been trying to get my foot in the door for years, but haven't had much luck. I have an associates in electronics, and am a hobbyist. I'm good with computers, networking, and have also taken some classes in those areas.

I can't even get an interview without experience, but I can't get experience because I can't even get an interview.

I have been thinking about taking the grol tests and getting an FCC license, but the guys I spoke to locally (mostly the radio guys for the local PD, its a big city) said it won't help unless I have experience to back it up.

Is there anything I can do to boost my chances for finding entry level work?

Are there any good places to look? Most of the job postings I see are government, but they always require years of experience even for the entry level jobs.
I was in your shoes 45 years ago. Same interests and desires but no way to get my foot in the door. I got drafted and the US Army administered aptitude testing and then sent me to Radio Operator's school and then Radio Teletype Operator's school. They also taught me Morse code and how to type. When I got out, my first job was as an production expediter for a company building HF and VHF two way land mobile and marine radios. I knocked around the electronics industry for a few years and then passed a civil service test for Dispatcher. The local metro PD picked me up and then I moved into what turned out to be one of the top 911 centers in the country as a dispatcher and instructor. It was a great career. Along the way, I consulted on small EMS and commercial radio systems. I met and worked with system managers, techs, consultants, and more. Many of those contacts are still good today even though I retired 11 years ago. I've also worked in volunteer EMS since I was 24 and through that made many more contacts in the radio world as well as other areas.

One of the things I have regretted not doing is getting my ham ticket early on and learning more on the tech side. And I should have put my nose in the books and snagged a 1st Phone back when it really meant something.

Get a ham ticket, right up to Extra if you can. Join your local ham club. Get into RACES or ARES if you can. Volunteer as a firefighter or EMT, or snag an internship or both. Get a temp job as a laborer installing CATV cable. Anything that even remotely hints of communications industry will help. If you qualify, take civil service tests for anything connected to communications.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Most radio shops require some type of certification such as the old 1st/2nd class FCC license or the GROL. Motorola shops require their techs to have the Certified Electronic Technician Association Wireless Communication certification. Information on this certification can be obtained from the Electronics Technician Association International. The ETA is a certification agency providing certification for hundreds of industry occupations. Their Master CET certification level will set you apart from the rest of the radio technicians. Look them up at ETA International - Welcome.
BB
CETma

SCPD

QRT
Also, and others can explain it in more detail than me, you'll want to know about networking. More and more, radio is about interconnecting different systems, and microwave backhauls, and technical stuff like tcp/ip, and things I don't understand. But I have friends who work on state and federal radio systems, and I listen to them talk all that jargon. I fully admit I don't understand most of it.

I'm real good at programming just about any Motorola radio, or anything else that involves sitting down.

Also, I've heard people I know talk about Naber certification. Not quite sure what that is.

I was told a few times that, like WA0CBW mentioned, having a CET with communications endorsement helped someone get a job in the field.

Ealdwine

Thanks for the tips everyone.

The CETa looks pretty easy. It's been several years but I remember pretty much everything that was on the practice test. I did have to look up a few of the formulas so I'll just have to rememorize the ones I haven't used very often.

I'll definitely start working towards the CETa, GROL, and WCM.

Should I get the radar endorsement with the GROL?

nd5y

NABER was the National Association of Business and Educational Radio. They merged with PCIA. They used to have industry certifications, filed FCC applications and did frequency coordination.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a local guy that did the Comtrain tower course. He started doing small jobs for local agencies and eventually started his own business. He just did a job for me two weeks ago and made some pretty good cash for a days work.

While probably not exactly what you are looking for, it might be worth the investment in the class and the equipment. It'll give you an additional "tool" in your box to offer to employers. Tower climbers are often entry level jobs as the more experienced (read: older) guys prefer to stay on the ground.
ComTrain - Your source for Certified Tower Climbing Safety, Fall Protection & Rescue and Tower Construction & Technology Training.

One of the issues I've noticed from doing hiring here at work is that network techs, CCNA's, etc are getting to be a dime a dozen. We get scores of them applying for jobs here, but they tend to all have the same experience and same training. You really need something to help you stand out from the crowd. Making some additional investment in your training/education might help you stand out a bit more. What money you invest will be paid back over the years.

freddaniel

If you are good with your hands, consider applying as an mobile radio installer for the local city, county, state, or Motorola shop. You will often find a friendly tech that will offer guidance on moving up the food-chain by learning by example. Land Mobile is simple, if explained right, and can be picked-up quickly with the right exposure. Offer to assist with any project.

Status
Not open for further replies.