• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Most Common Commercial UHF Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan91

I've been paying more attention to the brands and models of radios various businesses in my area are using. I've seen 4 or 5 places use the Motorola CLS 1410/1110 and nothing else. It runs about $180 (I'm sure they're cheaper for commercial uses) and have a 1W transmission power. Which is nice, because I have the first 30 channels programmed into my scanner which means I don't have to do much jumping around. I can hear my local Cracker barrel from my house over a mile away. What types of UHF equipment have you seen/heard?

Last edited:

PACNWDude

They are very popular in my area as well (1410 and 1110's), along with FRS/GMRS radios made by Motorola and Corbra mostly. Most shops in the mall use the 1410/1110's. Big box stores using FRS/GMRS that they sell in their blister packs.

I also see a lot of Motorola CP200 handhelds at car dealerships. Mobiles are usually CDM1250's for towing companies.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Lot of local businesses in my area are using a LTR trunked system owned by the local radio shop. They use mostly Motorola CDM 1550LS+ mobiles and HT1250LS+ and EX560LS+ portables. A few businesses also use the Kenwood TK-8180 mobiles. As for the big box stores use a combinatioin of MURS and FRS/GMRS.

KC3ECJ

CLS are most common for retail in my area.
A local ACE Hardware has Vertex Standard, but I think they used CLS in the past.
A Maines Source uses radios under the RCA trademark, but I don't know who they are actually made by.

Titan91

When listening to the CLS radios I normally hear what could be interference eliminator codes (or "PL" codes I believe as they used to be called by Motorola). It's comprised of alternating 1795KHz unmodulated and ~1530KHz modulated tones. If anyone can decode this sample I have and see if the bits correspond to any of the below code numbers that would be interesting to know.

Attachments

• codes1.png
    codes1.png
    51 KB · Views: 1,229
  • codes2.png
    codes2.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,542
  • privacy code.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 68

SCPD

QRT
An interference eliminator code, PL tone, Channel Guard, etc., are all CTCSS/DCS tones. They all serve the same purpose. Do some research on CTCSS/DCS and you'll learn all about them.. I won't bore everyone with the details as most folks on this site know what they are. The .wav file you presented sounds something like Motorola's MDC or something similar. MDC is used as an identifier for a particular radio and/or user of that radio.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
When listening to the CLS radios I normally hear what could be interference eliminator codes (or "PL" codes I believe as they used to be called by Motorola). It's comprised of alternating 1795KHz unmodulated and ~1530KHz modulated tones. If anyone can decode this sample I have and see if the bits correspond to any of the below code numbers that would be interesting to know.
PL is more correctly known as TPL or Tone Private Line these days. The correct technical name for it is Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System or CTCSS. You may also see it abbreviated as CTS. DPL is Digital Private Line also called DCS for Digital Coding System. In both systems, the tones or codes are SUB-AUDIBLE which means you can not hear them.

Therefore, whatever audible tones you are hearing are most likely not part of any privacy coding system.

The chart you posted looks to be a DPL chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.