• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-7180 or TK-8180

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

Is anyone here using the TK-7180 or 8180 for ham? If so how is it working? Do you have enough power, are your transmissions clear?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm using the NX-700 on 2 meters. It's the NXDN capable version of the 7180, same chassis, same features with the exception of digital.

It's been a good radio. 50 watts is 50 watts. No issues with audio.
I've got about 50 NX-900, the 800MHz version of the NX-700, no issues at all, been running them for a few years now with out issues.

Colton25

I've been researching the tk-8189, not sure if you've seen it before. It looks the same as the 8180 only it has a keypad to replace the front speaker. You can field program using the front keypad, i'm curious to know if you can purchase the head with the keypad and put it on the 8180. Can you give me any guidence on this?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's not a "North America" product, so I don't have any information on it. I haven't seen the replacement head available here. The internals are likely the same as the 8180.

I'd also make 10% sure it does allow front panel programming.

Where are you located?

Colton25

yeah i will need to contact Kenwood, or i can just use a keypad mic such as the KMC-36 and it would do the same job correct? I'm located in California.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, I'm in California, too…

The TK-8189 likely won't have FCC Part 90 certification. That might not be an issue if you are going to just use it for amateur radio use.

The DTMF microphone won't allow front panel programming.

Colton25

So with any of the *180 models you cannot field program no matter what so this really isn't a good radio for ham, i'm sorry for all the dumb questions i'm new to this and i'm working on getting my tech.

OK, I'm in California, too…

The TK-8189 likely won't have FCC Part 90 certification. That might not be an issue if you are going to just use it for amateur radio use.

The DTMF microphone won't allow front panel programming.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I believe you CAN do what a 8189 does with a 8180 and a dtmf mic, but don't hold me 100% on that.

To have FPP on any X180 series radio you'll have to purchase the optional firmware and then enable it in FPU. (That's the "Tactical Features Set" in the model select menu). Dealers cannot get their hands on the firmware, radio requires a trip to Kenwood.

Colton25

Ok i will contact Kenwood. My goal is to get a good setup for when i get my license.

I believe you CAN do what a 8189 does with a 8180 and a dtmf mic, but don't hold me 100% on that.

To have FPP on any X180 series radio you'll have to purchase the optional firmware and then enable it in FPU. (That's the "Tactical Features Set" in the model select menu). Dealers cannot get their hands on the firmware, radio requires a trip to Kenwood.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So with any of the *180 models you cannot field program no matter what so this really isn't a good radio for ham, i'm sorry for all the dumb questions i'm new to this and i'm working on getting my tech.

If you are getting your ham license, then get a dedicated amateur radio, it'll be much easier to use.
Using commercial radios on Ham is perfectly legal and fine, but they just are not really designed in such a way to make them easy to use for what -most- hams want to do.

Like I said earlier, I have the NX-700 set up with some amateur frequencies and it works just fine since I don't need a frequency agile radio for what I do. When I do need to change programming, it isn't a big deal to plug in the laptop and make the changes I need.
If I was doing a lot of traveling, I'd be more likely to get a dedicated amateur radio with a VFO function. That will allow making changes on the fly much easier.

I have a few Kenwoods that have FPP on them, and it's useful for making a few changes in the field, but you can't do everything with it. You can't change the alpha/numeric channel names, you have to use the software to do that.

Also, the TK-8189 likely won't have Part 90 or Part 95 certification, so it won't do you any good (legally) on commercial LMR, public safety or GMRS channels.

The other big benefit to purchasing a dedicated amateur radio is that you are much more likely to be able to get local help. For someone new to the hobby, it's pretty handy to have someone with some more experience help you out with your radio. The chances of finding someone local that knows how to program a European spec commercial radio are going to be pretty low.

If you -really- want to go the LMR radio route, then go with the TK-8180 and get yourself the software and cable to program it. It'll make life easier.

Colton25

I understand, i have been using a 7180 for over a year as a scanner, and i have a 2180 that i use when I'm down at the fire station. This would be a base station set up so i really don't know how much ill need to be changing the frequencies. What would you recommend as a average to more then average base radio?

If you are getting your ham license, then get a dedicated amateur radio, it'll be much easier to use.
Using commercial radios on Ham is perfectly legal and fine, but they just are not really designed in such a way to make them easy to use for what -most- hams want to do.

Like I said earlier, I have the NX-700 set up with some amateur frequencies and it works just fine since I don't need a frequency agile radio for what I do. When I do need to change programming, it isn't a big deal to plug in the laptop and make the changes I need.
If I was doing a lot of traveling, I'd be more likely to get a dedicated amateur radio with a VFO function. That will allow making changes on the fly much easier.

I have a few Kenwoods that have FPP on them, and it's useful for making a few changes in the field, but you can't do everything with it. You can't change the alpha/numeric channel names, you have to use the software to do that.

Also, the TK-8189 likely won't have Part 90 or Part 95 certification, so it won't do you any good (legally) on commercial LMR, public safety or GMRS channels.

The other big benefit to purchasing a dedicated amateur radio is that you are much more likely to be able to get local help. For someone new to the hobby, it's pretty handy to have someone with some more experience help you out with your radio. The chances of finding someone local that knows how to program a European spec commercial radio are going to be pretty low.

If you -really- want to go the LMR radio route, then go with the TK-8180 and get yourself the software and cable to program it. It'll make life easier.

rapidcharger

A common source of confusion is that Kenwood will call a radio "field programmable" but that means you can program it in the field, using a computer and FPU, Field Programming Unit which is what they call their software. Of course to most people when you call something "field programmable," they're expecting do do it from the from the radio directly without any computer or software involvement.

To program directly from the radio, that is an option in what Kenwood calls TFS, tactical feature set.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I understand, i have been using a 7180 for over a year as a scanner, and i have a 2180 that i use when I'm down at the fire station. This would be a base station set up so i really don't know how much ill need to be changing the frequencies. What would you recommend as a average to more then average base radio?

For 2 meter VHF band?
If you like Kenwood radios, give the TM-281 a try. It's built off a similar chassis as the 7180, but has a fairly easy to use interface that allows programming.
Dual band VHF/UHF, ™-V71A

Yaesu:
2 meter: FT-1900 or FT-2900
Dual band, FT-7900 or FT-8900

Icom:
2 meter: IC-2300

Any of those brands would be a good choice. No programming software necessary, but it is handy if you have to do a lot of programming.
Be cautious about the overly cheap Chinese brands. They low price can be attractive, but their quality control and programming interfaces and be a major source of frustration for new hams.

Starion1

To answer your first question, yes, I’m using both the Kenwood TK-7180 and TK-8180 mobiles for amateur radio communications. It’s working perfectly. Keep in mind that there’s plenty of room (channel slots) to program most of the ham repeaters within a 50 mile radius from home. To keep it organized I make use of the “zones”. I have one zone dedicated to local repeaters and other zones are set up to accommodate other repeater when I travel outside my area. You can selectively keep these zones in or out of the group of frequencies that are scanning at any giving time.

The TK-7180 VHF covers the entire 136-174 MHz band. So amateur frequencies are loaded into the radio as well as business band frequencies that I have authorization to use as well as including public safety (receive only) frequencies with a few railroad (receive only) frequencies used in my area.

The TK-8180 that I own happens to be the low split version covering 400-470 MHz. Amateur frequencies are not a problem. A reminder that most of the 70cm “ham” band uses wide-band modulation (16K0F3E). Don’t inadvertently switch from wide to narrow band since this may distort the audio. I have a nice mix of amateur, GMRS, public safety and business channels programmed into the UHF radio.

The TK-7180/8180 series is probably the best bang for the buck. Some great pricing can be found on the auction sites. Compact, loaded with features with a very crisp 12 character alpha-numeric display second to none. The OST (Operator Selectable Tone) is a great feature that allows the user to change the CTCSS tone on demand per channel (analog tones only). I’ve dedicated a function button to specifically bring up this option while on the road. This is not new since Kenwood has had this feature built into many of their previous radios for years now. What “Ramal121” stated previously about the Tactical Feature Set is a great option as well.

There’s plenty of RF power from the basic 25 watt version. If additional power is desired, the “H” models provide 50 watts in the VHF model and 45 watts in their UHF models. I plan to get another VHF and UHF mobile to be placed in my shack. I personally would stick with the models that are meant for the U.S. market. The KPG-89D software and interface cables are readily available.

Kenwood built another winner in their 180 series. Have fun!

Colton25

Thank you for all the info, as I said I'm just getting started in ham. I already have a 7180 both base and mobile that I'm using for public safety. I also just got a 8180 mobile, the 450 version. I'm looking for ham frequencies to monitor while I study for my test, I'm not really having much luck. Do you know where I can find more frequencies? I'm located in central califorina, and I sure hope there's more then what I've found or else this won't be much fun.

rapidcharger

Thank you for all the info, as I said I'm just getting started in ham. I already have a 7180 both base and mobile that I'm using for public safety. I also just got a 8180 mobile, the 450 version. I'm looking for ham frequencies to monitor while I study for my test, I'm not really having much luck. Do you know where I can find more frequencies? I'm located in central califorina, and I sure hope there's more then what I've found or else this won't be much fun.

That's where having a VFO comes in handy.
And that's why as much as I hate to say it because the overwhelming majority of my radios are commercial LMR radios, but if you're wanting to see what's out there, you need a ham radio. A x180 series mobile is a good radio but if it's your only radio, you're going to miss out on active frequencies that aren't in some repeater directory. You won't be able to scan for tones with it either.

I have a couple of x180 series PORTABLES and they have 512 channels. That's more than enough to program the entire ham band (every standard repeater pair plus all the standard simplex frequencies) plus have channels left to program the entire business band. I'd know. I've done it. So it's sort of like having a VFO. And that's where having OST (described a couple replies up) comes in handy. If I find an active frequency or repeater, I can change the pl tone from the keypad, no special firmware required. But then again, you have to know the tone. Most ham radios will scan for that as well as let you scan the band. A lot will let you scan the air band in AM too (the 281 mentioned earlier won't though). the x180's are great radios but if it's your only radio as a ham, that will be a pain in the butt.

Colton25

So basically a ham radio (VFO) can scan every frequency and tone until it finds a active frequency correct?

That's where having a VFO comes in handy.
And that's why as much as I hate to say it because the overwhelming majority of my radios are commercial LMR radios, but if you're wanting to see what's out there, you need a ham radio. A x180 series mobile is a good radio but if it's your only radio, you're going to miss out on active frequencies that aren't in some repeater directory. You won't be able to scan for tones with it either.

I have a couple of x180 series PORTABLES and they have 512 channels. That's more than enough to program the entire ham band (every standard repeater pair plus all the standard simplex frequencies) plus have channels left to program the entire business band. I'd know. I've done it. So it's sort of like having a VFO. And that's where having OST (described a couple replies up) comes in handy. If I find an active frequency or repeater, I can change the pl tone from the keypad, no special firmware required. But then again, you have to know the tone. Most ham radios will scan for that as well as let you scan the band. A lot will let you scan the air band in AM too (the 281 mentioned earlier won't though). the x180's are great radios but if it's your only radio as a ham, that will be a pain in the butt.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, not necessarily.
The VFO knob will allow you to easily tune across the band and find active frequencies. Most amateur radios have some sort of automatic repeater offset function that will know the correct offset for -standard- repeater set ups. Some of them will display the received PL tones.

If you are going to use this as a base, or mobile in a relatively local area, it's much easier to look up the repeater information ahead of time.
You can find repeater info online or in the ARRL Repeater Guide. A search will find you many online sources of this information.

And, I'll echo what the others have said. LMR radios work fine for amateur use. I'm using mostly Motorola CDM 1250's or CDM 1550's on the VHF band. My work truck as a Kenwood NX-700 and NX-900. There are plenty of memories for me to load in the simplex channels and all the repeaters I need, as well as the work related stuff. It works fine for me since I've been a ham for 20+ years and am pretty stable with my needs. Also, my job entails a lot of radio work, and I have to have an appropriate Part 90 radio for that sort of stuff.

As a new ham, I'd still recommend a dedicated amateur radio with a VFO as your first rig. When you get comfortable with things you'll have a much better idea of what you need.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
zane018, listen we're almost getting to the apple/oranges thing here with idea of a true amateur radio or a part 90 LMR radio. Yes both can be used on the amateur bands with stellar results. It's a matter of choice for you the user. An amateur type radio is more open to user manipulation (because the license assumes you know more than the average bear about radio communications) and allows you freedom to set up your rig as you see fit by just twisting dials (although a computer makes it a lot easier these days). It also may have options and features that would be worthless on a radio made for business or public safety.

On the other hand, part 90 radios generally forbid the user from making any real changes (read dialing up any old frequency and transmitting). They are locked down to what the license decrees and changes are made deliberately difficult for the user.

It's up to you to decide how to use whatever you have on the amateur bands. If you already have part 90 radios, by all means use them to get your feet wet as long as you understand the restrictions that encompass and the hurdles to get a radio programmed to do so.

Front panel programming eases the burden for putting channels in your part 90 radios considerably, but remember it is not as flexible as a full fledged amateur radio. At this point I'll correct rapidcharger. Some, but not all, Kenwood radios could be programmed without a computer via the buttons on the radio. This was called "self programming". It would need to be enabled by the software, but needless to say it was confusing and esoteric as you had to step through all options to get a channel programmed. The TFS option was written specifically for the X180 series. It is much more user friendly to program as only the parameters needed to add a channel can be specified by the programming software. I have it in my 2180 portable and use it all the time to stick a channel in "on the fly".

So what I'm try to say is you have radios that can get you on the air as soon as you get your license as long as you know the restrictions that come with a commercial radio (mainly user configuration) or you can get a dedicated ham radio that is open to dial twisting and experimentation. Only you will eventually have to choose.

Oh and if you need to find all the ham freqs of repeaters around you, go here...

NARCC REPEATERS

Last edited:

Colton25

If i'm located in central California am i capable of of getting in the Win system or any large system like that? If so where can i find the frequencies for those systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.