Coffeyville

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
I found out Coffeyville pd has purchased new digital radios, they don't have them in yet, but the switch is coming. I figured they would be going to the apco 25 system but not sure. Has anyone heard about this or know how to find out?

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
As of today Coffeyville is on the same freq but transmissions appear garbled. My question is can a digital signal be on the old frequency or is it most likely an encrypted transmission?

bchappuie

They can go digital on any frequency. They do have talk group on the KSICS system. I would think they would migrate there. And they may have some patch in place from the KSICS to their local system.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
A move to P-25 can be done on any frequency band- and they can remain a conventional system. They would have to have a digital capable repeater, digital capable subscriber radios and digital capable control stations for dispatch. Digital is simply a means of breaking down and re-constituting a signal as it is transmitted.

If they are garbled, try switching your scanner decryption to P-25 signaling and see what happens. If you are in digital mode and they are still garbled, it may indicate that they not only went to digital signaling, but they also opted for digital encryption (such as ADP).

W3DMV

Checked the FCC paper work and no new applications in the past
year. They did renew license KAi705 and modified for NFM operation
on 6/2/14

Valid licenses (All NFM Analog) Coffeyville, City of

KAB261 155.370 FB
155.490 FB & MO
155.670 FB

KAI705 153.530 FB & MO
153.620 MO

KDY386 154.100 FB & MO

WNDE918 460.350 FB2 & MO

WPBI537 460>600 FB2 & mo

WQHM901 155.520 FB2
158.910 MO

----

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
Well I don't have a digital scanner, never had the need for one around here, and if they only have analog fcc license, I guess the transmission would be encrypted. Or am I missing what you are saying. And I don't mean to be so clueless about this, just never dealt with digital or encrypted before. Thanks for giving me your time to get me started in the right direction.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like they are going on the KSICS digital P25 state wide system. No license required as they would be using the KSICS license. I doubt they would be going encrypted on their existing frequencies as that would require equipment and hardware upgrades. Same goes with digital P25, all new equipment for the fixed end and subscriber equipment. Tell us more about the "garbled" transmissions?
BB

LeeBarnes

I found out Coffeyville pd has purchased new digital radios

Greetings from over here in Parsons, waterrat. Recently, I've been updating all the frequencies in my scanner and am currently reviewing MG county freqs. What frequency are you hearing Coffeyville on? Is it 460.350?

Welcome to the RR Forums, BTW!

LeeBarnes

Yes they are on 460.350, they have been on that freq for a long time. I find it very hard to describe the sound but I found a sample that is close. http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/P25-nontrunk.wav I found this by searching digital noises. sometimes in the transmission you can still hear a roger beep

Right on. I keep hearing the same thing here also. Haven't heard any voice. I think it sounds like a pager. :confused:

firefive76

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks as though they have opted to use Kenwood Nexedge digital radios. If so, don't bother updating your equipment; scanners can't decode that format. Also interesting that they call it P25 compatible.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like they are going on the KSICS digital P25 state wide system. No license required as they would be using the KSICS license. I doubt they would be going encrypted on their existing frequencies as that would require equipment and hardware upgrades. Same goes with digital P25, all new equipment for the fixed end and subscriber equipment. Tell us more about the "garbled" transmissions?
BB

Correct me if I am wrong.

However I thought they or any other department would need there own license < mobile ones at least > to use the KSICS frequency?

I know when I was I on the Police Department, we had get our own license to use one of the State radio Frequency in the state I was in.

mancow

Database Admin
I believe you just fill out the appropriate KDOT forms and that's it. I know our agencies don't have licenses for the State radios they have.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
That is correct mancow. If you are using the KSICS system you would be operating under their license. If you decided to put up a fixed station whose location was not on the KSICS FCC license then you would need your own license for that station along with a letter of authorization from the licensee to operate on that frequency and location.
BB

Status
Not open for further replies.