DSD on a P25 Simulcast System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad8g

Feed Provider
So I'm using DSD+ with an RTLSDR dongle. I am not getting super great decodes, even after running dsdtune. My guess is that this is because we have a simulcast system here (this is Ohio MARCS-IP).

Is there anything special I can do to help with this?

Right now, my setup is just Unitrunker feeding audio from the rtlsdr right into DSDPLUS with virtual audio cable.

- Dave

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
So I'm using DSD with an RTLSDR dongle. I am not getting super great decodes, even after running dsdtune. My guess is that this is because we have a simulcast system here (this is Ohio MARCS-IP).

Is there anything special I can do to help with this?

Right now, my setup is just Unitrunker feeding audio from the rtlsdr right into DSDPLUS with virtual audio cable.

- Dave

yes there is a great alternative if you REALLY want good simulcast reception: download & install OP25 instead. From personal experience I can attest that it WILL provide the best-available simulcast reception (i.e. much better than any hardware scanner), the only thing better is an agency radio...

Last edited:

ad8g

Feed Provider
Is it possible to get OP25 running in Windows? My setup is an OSX host with a Windows VM where I run all this stuff.

Or, is there software like UniTrunker that will run on OSX? That way, I could build OP25 right on OSX.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to get OP25 running in Windows? My setup is an OSX host with a Windows VM where I run all this stuff.

Or, is there software like UniTrunker that will run on OSX? That way, I could build OP25 right on OSX.

Not sure, you should check the ongoing thread addressing install-type questions in excruciating detail. Most people seem to report the best outcomes using "native" Linux Mint 1.17 (that's what I run it on), or alternatively Ubuntu. Many people have reported difficulties even running linux as a virtual machine, let alone Windows. It is NOT a "one-click" install, but you can get it working if you want it bad enough. Also for OP25, you only need one dongle and you don't need any other software to get it fully operational (although you won't be able to pick up voice frequencies outside the 2.4 MHz sample range of a standard RTL SDR stick, which would be true of any decoding software you might use).

Last edited:

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
(although you won't be able to pick up voice frequencies outside the 2.4 MHz sample range of a standard RTL SDR stick, which would be true of any decoding software you might use).
That's partially true, but only if you use a center frequency in the trunking config file. If the center frequency is omitted, then it'll re-tune the device to the desired frequency along with additional offset if specified.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
That's partially true, but only if you use a center frequency in the trunking config file. If the center frequency is omitted, then it'll re-tune the device to the desired frequency along with additional offset if specified.

Wow I didn't realize that, now I like OP25 even better. Is it simply a matter of "fast" re-tuning?

nlurker

I also monitor a simulcast P25 system, and for some reason I get much better decodes tuning the voice dongle with SDRSharp than I do with Unitrunker.

Status
Not open for further replies.