CI-V Interface with IC-R7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab5r

I know this is an OLD receiver, but has anyone attempted a CV-! serial connection to their computer?

I am attempting to accomplish this feat using Ham Radio Deluxe and have not been successful. I have the correct address (08), no joy.

Thank you,
Jerry

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Make sure your port speed matches your rig setting. I've never worked with an R7000 but know CI-V can be finicky if settings don't match.

jquittum

Premium Subscriber
I'm using 34 for the address. Working with HRD.

Sorry. Misread your model #. Mine is a R7100.

Last edited:

ab5r

Thanks gene. Yes, I have stepped through all the available ports and bauds. I even switched the RTS & DTR setting around trying. The address IS 08, but HRD shows 34 and cannot be changed, They (HRD) tell me that is a TYPO and is actually 08, and promised to make change in next version out.. In the meantime, not joy.
Jerry

Intellifax

This unit requires the CT-17 level converter. IIRC, you run a cable from a serial port on your computer to the CT-17, then plug the cable from the CT-17 into the REMOTE jack on the rear of the R7000. Is that how you have it hooked up?

It's been a long time since I've had my R7000, good unit until the caps dry up.

ab5r

Thanks Intellifax. I do NOT own a CT-17 device, but have used this cable on other equipment successfully using the HRD software. It is connected to the REMOTE and into the computer.

The receiver seems to be operating normally and I do not suspect dry caps. The software REQUIRES that your receiver be in VFO mode and not memory mode. This receiver does NOT offer that choice and I do not want to CLEAR all the memories programmed. Therefore, I am not entirely sure how to get out of memory into a VFO mode. I've tried entering a frequency WITHOUT writing to memory, but that did not work.
Thanks again,
Jerry

ab5r

Sorry Bagmouse....No Joy. I got zero response trying the suggested software. I suspect that my receiver may be not wanting to communicate.

ab5r

Good point, Bagmouse! I did look at that jumper, but to be honest, I don't remember exactly how they looked. Guess it is time to pull the case off AGAIN. Soooo much fun.

I completed the check and the JP17 is configured exactly as displayed on page 13 of the manual. The circuit board itself is marked differently; such as D18 for DB7 in the manual. I'm sure this is diode #18 etc.. I am not sure of the entries on page 13 regarding DB7-DB0 and what that means. I have the service manual reprint, but find nothing there regarding these.

Guess that I'll wait for HRD to come out with new version and retry or just give up.

THANKS

Last edited:

FrankNY

I do NOT own a CT-17 device, ...
Many moons ago I owned an Icom IC-R7000, along with the optional IC-EX310 Voice Synthesizer Unit and optional RC-12 Wireless Remote Controller. Along with those two options, both of which worked quite well, the radio was purchased new by me and was connected to a computer using the Icom CT-17 CI-V Interface. I wrote my own software in BASIC to communicate with the radio from the computer.

If I am not mistaken (it has been many years), you *must* use a CT-17 in order to connect this particular radio to a computer's RS-232 serial port.

My suggestion, and I realize that it involves spending some money, is to purchase a CT-17 and connect it all up and see what happens.

As per the IC-R7000 Instruction Manual, the standard settings are as follows.

Address number: 08H
Transceive function: On
Baud rate: 1200 bps

I absolutely loved that radio, by the way. Due to the built-in power supply, it ran extremely hot, but it never experienced a problem of any sort and I often had it powered on for a week straight. While I miss it a lot, I'm quite happy with the IC-R8500 that I currently use - along with some other radios, of course.

Good luck, and please do try the CT-17.

Regards,

Frank.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
I completed the check and the JP17 is configured exactly as displayed on page 13 of the manual. The circuit board itself is marked differently; such as D18 for DB7 in the manual. I'm sure this is diode #18 etc.. I am not sure of the entries on page 13 regarding DB7-DB0 and what that means. I have the service manual reprint, but find nothing there regarding these.

The Service Manual (Fig.10, Page 4-9) shows:-
DB7 = D18
DB6 = D17
DB5 = D16
DB4 = D15
DB3 = D14
DB2 = D13
DB1 = D12
DB0 = D11

DB means Data Bit, and bits DB0 to DB4 allow you to change the address from 08H (0 1000 binary, or in order of DB4, DB3, DB2, DB1, and DB0).

Unfortunately, there are not enough bits to allow you to change it to 34H (11 0100 binary), as used on the IC-R7100. The maximum address you can get with 5 bits is 1FH.

There is nothing special about the CT-17 that would guarantee it will work where something else doesn't.

--
Comint

ab5r

Thank you COMINT & FRANKNY. I am really in a quandary about this CI-V interface business. Frank, you suggest using the CT-17, costing me up to 150.00, but the question arises that whether the CT-17 has not been replaced by more modern USB cables etc. Everywhere I search, those type pop up.

Additionally, I have two cables, serial RS232 & USB, which I have used previously on other radios. Neither works with my R7000. Also, looking at the schematic, the REMOTE seems to be wired directly to the CPU through one transistor. Nothing elaborate there....

I have to take the Ham Radio Direct people's work that their current version is actually 08H and is a TYPO indicating 34.

Lastly, I have to wonder if my enthusiasm is misguided given the ager of the receiver and LACK of knowledge on my part. At my advanced age (cough cough) I am not versed in this digital world, I was trained in the OLD Navy in the tubes etc. (smile)

To all that have responded, THANK YOU very much. I'll keep on trying to learn. Besides, it keeps me out of the Pool Hall.
Jerry

mitbr

I have this radio it does work with HRD I am using it right now.

Here is what you do.....

speed 1200
civ address 08h punch it into where it defaults to 34
select DTR only
make sure cable is a mono jack
make sure you plug it into remote jack on radio not remote record

I am using the radio shack remote scanner civ and it works well
get it here
RadioShack USB-PC Scanner Programming Cable : Programming Cables | RadioShack.com
Tim

Last edited:

ab5r

MITBR, let me verify that you ARE talking about an ICOM IC-R7000 receiver. Do you possible y know if the RS cable contains an FTDI chip? Interesting pos. I still cannot get my RX to work with HRD. May possibly be just an old radio with defect. It is work great otherwise.

mitbr

MITBR, let me verify that you ARE talking about an ICOM IC-R7000 receiver. Do you possible y know if the RS cable contains an FTDI chip? Interesting pos. I still cannot get my RX to work with HRD. May possibly be just an old radio with defect. It is work great otherwise.

Yes it is the r7000 and yes it uses the FTDI chip
Also make sure to try the settings that got it to work with your civ......most important is to make sure it is a mono jack for the radio stereo WILL NOT WORK.
Oh and the radio must NOT be in memory mode if it doesn't say scan in red on the screen then it is in vfo mode.

Last edited:

ab5r

MITBR you are such a HELP. You have answered a lot of questions in my mind about this problem, If possible, we could get off the RR and talk direct via email. I don't think we would deprive others from any knowledge since that is such an OLD radio and not a hot topic.

My email is gp_ab5r at outlook dot com should you wish to talk. Thanks Jerry

mitbr

MITBR you are such a HELP. You have answered a lot of questions in my mind about this problem, If possible, we could get off the RR and talk direct via email. I don't think we would deprive others from any knowledge since that is such an OLD radio and not a hot topic.

My email is gp_ab5r at outlook dot com should you wish to talk. Thanks Jerry

Did you get it working?

ab5r

NEGATIVE, I did not get it working. Ordering a CI-V cable to BE SURE I have one intended for R7000.
I am using HDR ver. 324 BTW

mitbr

NEGATIVE, I did not get it working. Ordering a CI-V cable to BE SURE I have one intended for R7000.
I am using HDR ver. 324 BTW

Very good please let me know when you get it going Jerry if you need any further help let me know.
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.