Nice amplified speaker for scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublescan

Was looking in the w-mart today for a small amplified speaker for my old RS Pro-136 scanner, and ran across a pretty nice item that works. If you don't mind having another wall-wart plugged in, and need an external speaker for scanners , or something else, take a look in the bluetooth section of your local walmart for this "Sylvania model SCR1986BT-AS Bluetooth Autoset clock radio with USB charging."
Has the AUX-IN jack that matches the outputs on most of my scanners, and already had the cable so I bought one of these. It is QUITE loud, and clear with front-firing speaker (unlike this PRO136 which fires toward the ceiling). Digital clock with alarm and FM radio, which I haven't tried yet, but for 18.88 is cheaper than most amplified speakers I had seen. Big LED clock display for older eyes like mine, with dimmer.
I think its a keeper. The little box is about 5"x5" square with rounded back.
I'd try posting a link but not sure if that is allowed.

teufler

Another idea that works, is a set of old computer stereo speakers. I found a set at a re-cycle computer store for $10.00 Have the nack that fits to scanners, 3.5 mm, and a wall wort. Also found a portable amplified stereo speaker system, for $8.00 from Amazon. Very handy, Runs on AA batteries, and with the two sets of 4 batteries I bought from my scanner, I have two left over and about every 8-9 days, I charge the batteries .

marksmith

You had me sold. So I went online to look at it. Walmart says available only in stores and not available in any store within 50 miles if me. Amazon says out of stock and don't know when or if we will have again. Oh well... it's still a good idea, and I need an alarm clock too.

BCD536HP/HP2/996XT/PSR800/396XT/996T

doublescan

speaker

Sorry mark, that was just one of those "few" good luck items I run into once in a while. I'm sure there's probably cheaper alternatives for an amplified speaker, but all I was finding in that store was from about $30 up, some over 50 just for one little speaker. Maybe you'll run across another that'll fit the bill.

marksmith

At a closing Radio Shack, got 50% off on a set of usb powered laptop speakers with the proper plug for the earphone or external speaker jack on my scanners.
They sound not great when playing music but great and very clear when playing scanner voice.... so except for the fact I still don't have an alarm clock... did ok.

BCD536HP/HP2/996XT/PSR800/396XT/996T

Status
Not open for further replies.