Airborne 1/2/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfburns

All aircraft, fixed and rotary, are restricted to what sites they are allowed to access in order to minimize interference. I forget the exact number. I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact number of sites.

dw2872

Good question!

The operators of CSP aircraft use the callsign of “Airborne-#”. The callsigns are assigned to people and not the aircraft.

They fly all over the state so one would think they can use any DTRS tower that CSP is allowed on (a few Denver metro and all but a couple Colo Springs/El Paso County Zone-4 towers deny CSP radios).

But the reason why this is a good question is because it would be logical to have them denied on all but a few sites (especially in Metro areas) because they would be bouncing between them too much for no reason otherwise).

EDIT: After I saw what Harry posted above (while I was still typing), I realize he mentioned another more important reason... in order to minimize interference. Even if they were affiliated with one site, there would be a chance their transmissions on a voice channel would reach a site that uses that frequency but that they were not even affiliated on.

We might have to use some analytics (using Steve's TrunkingLogs site or other data) by using their radios to answer that question. I'll take a look when I get a chance.

Here are a few radios IDs where I've seen using the Airborne-## callsigns:

I vaguely remember one of these RIDs (probably the 136530) using the Airborne callsign while he was driving a car on an interstate.

These radios come up on the CSP 8A (Aircraft) TG, Statewide TG, almost all the CSP area radio dispatch TGs, the TAC TGS, Ops Gs, and I've seen them come up on MAC channels, CDOT TGs, Douglas County SO, Mesa County SO, Grand Junction PD TG, and more.

They have five aircraft:

3 Cessna 182, non-pressurized, 2-passenger aircraft (1 of these 3 is Turbo-charged)
1 Cessna 340, pressurized, 4-passenger aircraft, capable of flying at 210 mph
1 Beech King Air, pressurized, twin-engine, 8-passenger aircraft

From publicly available info:

CSP Aircraft Section: Provides state-owned/operated aircraft for transportation related to state business (including personnel, cargo, and prisoners). They are also available for observation and photographic flights. The aircraft section can be reached at 303-790-4164.

Last edited:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
We might have to use some analytics (using Steve's TrunkingLogs site or other data) by using their radios to answer that question. I'll take a look when I get a chance.

Here are a few radios IDs where I've seen using the Airborne-## callsigns:

TrunkingLogs does allow you to see which towers individual Radio IDs have affiliated or denied off of, but really haven't seen these radios too much. They might be hitting some of the more rural sites as the data a TL has is mostly focused between Colorado Springs up to Fort Collins and a few select sites in the mountains.

Generally, they seem to be denied on most sites around Colorado, especially on most of the really busy Denver Metro area sites. The only sites that have been logged to allow affiliations (within the past 12 months) include 202 - Abajo Peak, UT, 222 - Black Ridge, 260 - Mesa Point, 354 - Gunbarrel, and 356 - Longmont.

The sites that have actively denied the radios include 101-108, 110, 112, 120, 145, 164, 201, 210, 211, 212, 218, 226, 229, 253, 264, 275, 286, 293, 313, 315, 332, 361, 362, 411-413, 420, 422, 615, 617, 648, and 649-651. Anything that's not listed is pretty much unknown to whether or not it allows or denies these radios.

136530 seems to be allowed on most sites with a few exception (120, 164, 411, and 412), so this portable might not be actively used in the air.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
FYI, in the last few weeks I've been hearing "Airborne 4" on the Denver-Metro CSP dispatch channels, via one of the "big 4" towers (Lookout, Thorodin, Sqaw or Riley Peak). Just this morning I heard Airborne 4 going 10-41 with an IVM number and Car number, so presumably he was driving to an airport or some such thing. I believe I've also heard Airborne 4 in-flight on the same dispatch channels.

dw2872

That's a good catch. About what time does he go 10-41 each day?

Also, the IBM number (not IVM) is like the badge number. Anyone know what IBM stands for in that context?

dw2872

IBM number

I believe the IBM # is a unique number assigned to the laptop in each car.

The IBM number is assigned to each officer (I have a few business cards from CSP troopers that have their IBM numbers on them). Many, many departments nationwide use that. Denver does however still use "badge number" (##-### where the first 2 digits are the year they started on the job) and Aurora uses "ID number".

The funny thing is that not a single officer I've asked knows what IBM stands for in that context. The ones that use "IBM numbers" as their employee ID numbers dont know what created the acronym IBM.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Also, the IBM number (not IVM) is like the badge number. Anyone know what IBM stands for in that context?

I just did some aggressive searching for the answer. Out of the limited answers that exist online, I think the answer given in the http://forums.radioreference.com/co...n-forum/165724-csp-callsigns.html#post1209515 thread on these very forums gives a plausible answer. It would be rather interesting to know the definitive answer for its origins.

International Business Machines - the first computer system. It used punch cards, the "IBM number" was the unique identifying number of the object the card was punched for.

Old technology, kinda like calling a modern hand-held radio a "pack-set".

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.