Streaming device

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuck_man

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
Does anyone know of an "Audio Streaming Device" that can push the audio output from the receiver to the internet? I have used "BroadWave Streaming Audio Software" and it is fabulous but I don't want to leave a computer up while out of town.
I also run SlingBox which is also fabulous that allows me to watch all my home cable channels in HD at my lake house which just an internet connection. I'd like something similar to that but just for audio for my scanner so I can hear Mountain Brook and surrounding areas at the lake (through an open port on my home router). What are people using that push their signals up for iPhone apps like the '5-0 radio scanner'? Any suggestions much appreciated?
Thanks much,
Craig

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
They're using software on their computer to stream to Broadcastify.com

You may be able to find a small device to do what you want, but it is a small computer, and you said you don't want to leave a computer up while out of town.

tuck_man

Premium Subscriber
Thanks burner50,
I guess I'm going to hookup an extra laptop I have and leave on for streaming. I have been reading about this setup here on RR which sounds very cool! The functionality to my mobile device as a one way 'walkie talkie' style communication using the Zello application is perfect. I am not aware of a better solution for my needs. Going to attempt set that up next...! CT
http://forums.radioreference.com/st...audio-recording/273859-zello-stream-feed.html

Vermonster

You might also take a look at Teamviewer. It runs on the computer attached to the scanner and on your remote device (I use a tablet or remote laptop). I have it successfully working to both control scanner and let me listen to scanner audio remotely .
Two cautions:
#1: watch the bandwidth on your remote device data plan. I just use WIFI so not an issue.
#2: sometimes Teamviewer disconnects and I am not able to reconnect without being physically present at the home computer to restart the software. Generally it is stable for several days of continuous running.

Teamviewer is only free for personal use. Be sure and use only for that purpose and check only the "personal use" boxes when asked...unless you use commercially then license terms will require you to pay.

Errol

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
Suggestions/thoughts...

Buy a cheap Windows tablet (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Win...id=1422625963&sr=1-1&keywords=windows+tablets). Run free streaming software on it (e.g. RadioFeed, from the makers of ProScan: ProScan). Or, run ProScan on it (not free), which will allow you complete remote control of the scanner.

--- OR ---

There are LOTS of streaming appliances, but they're expensive (e.g. in the $1000+ range).

--- OR ---

Cheapest yet...just use your existing Slingbox and feed the scanner output to the composite RCA inputs (the red and white audio connections) and configure the slingbox to get its sound input from the composite source. You'll get no picture, but the sound will come from the scanner. The downside to this approach - no remote scanner control. The upside, no cost. since you already have a Slingbox

Good luck.

tuck_man

Premium Subscriber
My Solution

Hi All, I know it has been a while but I wanted to update this thread in case anyone out there was interested. Thanks so much for all the suggestions too.

1. I ended up going with a dedicated laptop I had sitting around.
2. Plugged my RS PRO-652 headphone jack to laptop mic jack via audio cable.
3. I installed NCH Broadwave (BroadWave Streaming Audio Software for Radio and Podcasts) Version 2.0 - 2016 (open port 88)
4. I setup my own website with the latest HTML 5 audio streaming element as follows.

<audio controls="controls" loop="loop">
<source src="http://97.#.#.#:88/broadwavehigh.mp3?src=1" />
</audio>

Perfect, now I can listen to my local traffic wherever just by pulling up my own website. No streaming servers or streaming apps to install. The HTML 5 audio tag is supported on mobile devices unlike the dreaded Flash audio. Note that audio continues to stream even with iPhone or mobile device in sleep mode.

HTH. Thanks much, Craig

Attachments

• 2016-07-07_1402.png
    2016-07-07_1402.png
    6 KB · Views: 157

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Are you running the free version? How does it compare to the paid version? Does it spam you or is it limited in some way?

tuck_man

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am running the 'Unlicensed Basic Free Version'. I am not running into any problems, no spam or timeouts. It's been running almost a week now with no problems at all. I thought I saw a 5 person connection limit in documentation but I have gone over that limit with no issues that I could tell. I don't plan on going over 1 or 2 connections anyway as this is for me to listen to while out of town.

With the old version, I had issues with clarity - choppy and unusable. I reinstalled the latest version 2.0 without even uninstalling the old version and everything is working perfectly now with no changes other than the software upgrade. It is now as clear as the scanner itself. I will purchase the product if I don't run into any issues testing in the next week. Very happy with BroadWave by NCH Software.

Status
Not open for further replies.