BCD436HP/BCD536HP: new owner not catching on

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

Hi guys! ive had this scanner in my possession for several hours now, and cant seem to "make it work." Starting to feel a bit overwhelmed lol.
basically, the only thing ive figured out with this scanner so far is how to type in my zip code, and get stuck scanning everything in what seems like a 50 mile radius of me. And then pressing Avoid every time a channel i dont want to hear becomes active.
I know this scanner has the full database in it. Is there any way to just go in to that and pick and choose what you want to "upload" to your favorites list, like you would do with ARC XT connected to RR?

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Hi guys! ive had this scanner in my possession for several hours now, and cant seem to "make it work." Starting to feel a bit overwhelmed lol.
basically, the only thing ive figured out with this scanner so far is how to type in my zip code, and get stuck scanning everything in what seems like a 100 mile radius of me. And then pressing Avoid every time a channel i dont want to hear becomes active.
I know this scanner has the full database in it. Is there any way to just go in to that and pick and choose what you want to "upload" to your favorites list, like you would do with ARC XT connected to RR?

My first recommendation to everyone - take a deep breath and give it some time. It takes a while to get the hang of it.

My second recommendation is to install and use the Sentinel software. Aside from playing with the radio and it's options, using the software is probably the best way to begin to understand how to make the radio work (beyond just zip code programming - which is really only of limited value).

One thing that most people miss right off the bat when trying to listen is to ensure you go in and set the SERVices you want to hear. They are not all ON out of the box and this will limit what you will receive. This can be done on the radio itself and also in the Sentinel software.

Take your time and learn it -- it won't happen real quick but you'll get there.

SquierStrat

Thank you for the reply. I took your advice and gave up on trying to do it all by hand at first. Every other digital scanner ive owned, i programmed with a computer immediately upon receiving it, so why not do it with this one! And im glad i did!

This scanner is simply amazing! Ive spent hours over the last several days reading and reading about this thing, and overall right now, im pretty impressed!

fmalloy

I just ordered this unit to replace my BC346XT (my area went P25) and the experience using FreeScan is going to come in handy, I think. I already installed Sentinel and setup all the FLs, quick keys, etc. and am hoping I'll be good to go when it arrives. I believe in early preparation...

I plan to initially just enter the zip and see what's scanned for a while before I go in and upload from Sentinel.

One thing I found with this unit is for things to get scanned you need a AND b AND c to be set, for example monitor ON, Service Type checked, upload ON, etc. It can be frustrating if you don't do your homework and study up before you buy.

I believe it *is* possible to create an intuitive and easy to use Apple-like software application that can manage/hide such complex data as control channels/TGs/IDs, etc. Favorites Lists and zip entry seems to be a great start, but the UI definitely needs help from folks who are skilled in UI/UX design.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Before just doing the zip code, be sure to use Sentinel to update the main database (the database in the unit you get could be from many months ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.