Scanners in Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibson135

Does anyone here know what the laws are in CO about having a scanner in your car. I've been bringing it with me on I-70 as something to do while sitting in traffic coming back from the mountains. Thanks
Jim

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I don't recall any law in Colorado regarding scanners at all. A quick search of the Colorado Revised Statues doesn't seem to indicate anything related to scanners or radio receivers at all. I'm not sure if any municipalities have anything against them either, but I don't know enough to say for sure.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
No mobile laws, just watch the weed your trying to cross state lines with when you head home.

Jim<

dw2872

Yes. Thank goodness we are not in one of those communist states where carrying a scanner is illegal. That is crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SCPD

QRT
So you've been to Indiana? LOL

Is that the "only one antenna allowed on car state" and if your car already has a regular fm/am antenna your sol. I thought that was redundant even with a ham operator only something like one antenna allowed on a motor vehicle. A buddy of mine in Akron Went through Indiana and was stopped for a tail light out but was reminded about his antennas that if he planned to stay in the state for some time he'd have to remove all but one.

Voyager

Is that the "only one antenna allowed on car state" and if your car already has a regular fm/am antenna your sol. I thought that was redundant even with a ham operator only something like one antenna allowed on a motor vehicle.

What are they doing about the cars that have FM AND Satellite antennas from the factory? (not to mention GPS)

SCPD

QRT
As far as I know Colorado has no laws regarding scanners in cars. As for the Indiana antenna thing I am not sure. just recall they had a dumb law like that the rookies pushed.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
What's a "scanner" anyways? That Uniden radio-thingy I always carry doesn't say "scanner" anywhere, I thought it was an emergency weather radio and CB receiver...?

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Just be careful of "distracted driving". You know, getting a ticket from the cop who is busy typing in your plate and responding to calls on their MDT while driving.

gibson135

Thanks! Ironically I lived in NY and Florida before moving here recently. CB's can be entertaining to listen ton on the way back on I-70 sometimes with the truckers, as well as people taking care of the ski resorts at night and of course the police. Thinking of bringing it skiing next time to hear what's going on with the ski patrols while going up on the lift.

Actually studying for the HAM radio license to bring backpacking. Picked up a portable iCom. Anyone here do that?

mikepdx

Is that the "only one antenna allowed on car state" and if your car already has a regular fm/am antenna your sol.
A buddy of mine ...was reminded about his antennas that if he planned to stay in the state for some time he'd have to remove all but one.

Could anyone elaborate on this claim?
i.e. Link to the state law??

It would be a service to scanner hobbyist and
hams alike to know if this is really so...

dw2872

That should definitely be asked in the Indiana forum. We are not experts in Indiana radio related laws or radio communications.

The original post was asking about Colorado radio and scanner laws.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Could anyone elaborate on this claim?
i.e. Link to the state law??

It would be a service to scanner hobbyist and
hams alike to know if this is really so...

Born in Indiana, Live in Indiana and I have never been told anything about antennas. BTW I had a big ole Diamond Dual Band on them every now and then. And the truck has 2 antennas in addition to the radio antenna. (a 800 Mhz Larson and a Rat Shack Scanner antenna) I know a local HAM whose car top looks like a porcupine with antennas all over the place.

But for mobile scanning it is NOT legal unless you got a Ham Ticket or other reason for having it.

RodStrong

I wonder how/if scanner apps come into play in some of those places where you can't have scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.