Backlight color 436/536

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

When I look at the pictures of the boxes for these radios, the display backlight looks white, similar to the PSR 800
BUT, when I look at videos on Youtube, the displays look blue.

So my concern is that I bought the 396T when it first came out, and I found the display to be unusable. THAT blue color is impossible for me to see, and gives me a headache.

So is the 436/536 backlight similar to the 396, which was a rather dark blue, or is it closer to white?

Thanks

mitbr

When I look at the pictures of the boxes for these radios, the display backlight looks white, similar to the PSR 800

So my concern is that I bought the 396T when it first came out, and I found the display to be unusable. THAT blue color is impossible for me to see, and gives me a headache.

So is the 436/536 backlight similar to the 396, which was a rather dark blue, or is it closer to white?

Thanks

Its closer to white.

scosgt

Is there any problem seeing it in daylight? I assume I would keep the backlight on, but some of the older Unidens (346, 396) were impossible to see without the back light, and the 396 even with the backlight (for me).

mitbr

Is there any problem seeing it in daylight? I assume I would keep the backlight on, but some of the older Unidens (346, 396) were impossible to see without the back light, and the 396 even with the backlight (for me).

Because of the larger screen the 436hp is very readable in bright daylight don't even need the backlight

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Bruce it's good. I've used it all over the place. Display is excellent. It very light blue, but they consider it white.

scosgt

Looking at the stuff on Youtube, I will be looking for the 536. Display is more to my liking.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
536 is damned good as well. I originally had the 536 in my 2007 Escape, and took it to Wisconsin and back, and down to North Carolina. It performed quite well. I personally don't care about the siren and analyze so I'm happy, I just had to get it to like my Mac Mini, and now it does. The new 2014 Escape has a Home Patrol 2 on a windshield mount. Another good radio.

Voyager

You mean the video that says the backlight is white, but the camera makes it look blue?

Really, there are enough x36s out there that you should know someone who has one who would let you see it.

scosgt

536 is damned good as well. I originally had the 536 in my 2007 Escape, and took it to Wisconsin and back, and down to North Carolina. It performed quite well. I personally don't care about the siren and analyze so I'm happy, I just had to get it to like my Mac Mini, and now it does. The new 2014 Escape has a Home Patrol 2 on a windshield mount. Another good radio.

Try to stay legal!

scosgt

You mean the video that says the backlight is white, but the camera makes it look blue?

Really, there are enough x36s out there that you should know someone who has one who would let you see it.

Yes, the camera makes it look very bluish. I have the PSR 800 and PRO-18, and they are white. In the comparison videos, the X36 looks somewhat bluish when compared to the 800, but some of that may be how the LCD reacts to the camera.

mitbr

Both the 536 and 436 are fine radios. They both perform better than any of my previous scanners and I have about 20 of them .

Couple of things that really stand out is functionality and performance. The quick key system along with the full data base make programming so simple and quick its ridiculous.

The true NFM filter works real well in high rf environments. My HP1 would suffer from rf over load when in the car the 436 and 536 scan 100 percent in the car big difference.

They're both beautiful radios that will make you happy.
Tim

stingray327

Both the 536 and 436 are fine radios. They both perform better than any of my previous scanners and I have about 20 of them .

Couple of things that really stand out is functionality and performance. The quick key system along with the full data base make programming so simple and quick its ridiculous.

The true NFM filter works real well in high rf environments. My HP1 would suffer from rf over load when in the car the 436 and 536 scan 100 percent in the car big difference.

They're both beautiful radios that will make you happy.
Tim

so the 436 and 536 outperform the HP-2 also?

mitbr

so the 436 and 536 outperform the HP-2 also?

I only have the HP1 but I am told they are similar in performance and neither the HP1 or HP2 have the true NFM filter. In my experience the HP1 was a poor performer in the car but it performs well sitting beside me at home in my living room.

scosgt

I only have the HP1 but I am told they are similar in performance and neither the HP1 or HP2 have the true NFM filter. In my experience the HP1 was a poor performer in the car but it performs well sitting beside me at home in my living room.

The HP-1 does not hold a candle performance wise to the PSR-800. Or the PRO-96. Or the PRO-18

It is not even as sensitive as the 996T

But, it has a great display and is easy to use (other than not having a resume button) and is fine if you are not trying to pull in distant systems.

I think part of the problem is the SMA antenna connection. It forces you to use an adapter to use a better antenna. And I think that causes some degree of signal loss.

stingray327

I am considering the HP-2 for use in the car. Then I am hoping Whistler will come out with a scanner I can use at home. Prefer large radio not handheld as basestation.

marksmith

Used an HP-1e in the vehicle until the HP-2e was available. Now use that a lot in vehicle. Works great. Between DC and Baltimore. One of the highest RF environments you are going to find.

For mobile purposes, the HP-1/HP-2 screens are very readable. Since I have to squint to read my 536 it's one of my base scanners. HP-2 also does P2 well in this area.

Mark
536HP/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT
996T/396XT(2)/PSR800/PRO668

Status
Not open for further replies.