BCD436HP and Starcom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4SWI

I just recently got this scanner and for some reason it won't pick up anything on the Starcom network. It stops on a frequency, the S meter will go full scale, but I hear no audio. I have selected all systems, under the setting menu just to make sure. Standard P25 trunking works fine, conventional works fine, but the Starcom network even when the S meter shows full, I get no audio. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Voyager

How are you monitoring it? Zip code entry? Favorites List? Manual entry?

If using the preloaded database, have you updated it? (and not just in the SW, but DLed it to the scanner?)

If a FL, have you programmed it as a rebanded system AND entered the custom tables?

KG4SWI

Preloaded database, updated and downloaded to the scanner. Using the Sentinel software for that. I did try to create a FL, with only specific entries, no luck with that either. I was thinking everything was encrypted, but from what I understand I should still hear SOMETHING!

Voyager

Are you monitoring the local site? (have you locked out distant sites?)

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
You do not need custom tables on the rebanded Starcom, the CC figures that for you....If your in Oak Lawn you shound program in Tower 102-So Ch Hts and have no problem hearing TGs on that tower....Check the database on this web site Starcom for the CC and rest of freqys.....

KG4SWI

Let me explain how I'm adding it to the scanner.

I'm using the sentinel software, going under Cook county, Statewide, then adding STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois P25 to my FL. Then writing the new FL to the scanner. I've double checked the database and the firmware...they are both up to date. Maybe I'm adding the Starcom system wrong?

Voyager

Are you using APPEND TO FL? If so, you really can't be doing anything wrong. Make sure you enabled all the Service Types.

KG4SWI

I did pick up some activity on DuPage county dispatch today. But for a lot of other systems, I get like one word, then the audio drops out, even though it holds on the system for another say 10 seconds or so, depending. So I did make some headway I guess!

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Most all of Dupage Co PD-FD are on Tower 101-Lisle, somewhat hard to receive that tower in spots.....

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
May not be a programming issue. Sounds to me like it could be a severe case of simulcast distortion. Sometimes, even if I have a 99% lock on the control channel, I still won't be able to hear anything because the distortion on the frequencies themselves is too much, but the scanner will continue to hang on to the frequency because that's what the control channel is telling the radio to do. If you haven't, try different antennas and receiver locations and see if it makes a difference.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
If he's picking up DuPage traffic, it's locked on Site 101. You should be locked on Site 102...current control channel is 774.34375. Site 101 is coming in stronger at your location, so I suspect that's why you're having these issues.

KG4SWI

Well, for the way the scanner is currently set up, in my FL, I have the Cook South - Simulcast which has the following frequencies:
774.09375,774.34375,774.59375,774.84375,775.09375,775.34375,775.59375,775.84375,772.64375.

This is coming from Sentinel software version 1.02.

Should I delete all but the 774.34375 mhz frequency?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm totally new to this scanner as it's way different from all the Radio Shack scanners I've had.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I would do that. District-Chicago, Dist. 15 (Tollways), Dist. 2 (Elgin), Dist. 5 (Joliet) along with quite a few other departments, PACE to name a few can be heard on this site. Since you're in Oak Lawn, site 102 is the one that should be your primary...774.34375 is active.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP and Starcom21

I don't use the BCD436HP, I use the WS1080 and EZscan but I had a similar problem with Starcom21 towers up north here. ONLY way I could get it to work was attenuate the "SYSTEM" itself since there's too much signal. I'm Not talking about pushing the global attenuate button for all frequencies on the scanner, that just dampens everything. I mean JUST the Starcom21 tower number 149 Cook Co. near me. I selected to attenuate per site *as I have 13 Starcom21 sites below* and attenuated the Cookstar21 site only. Locked out the rest that might interfere with Cookstar21. I beat simulcast that way and recently use an 800mhz Yagi directional antenna that works wonders when I'm home, cleared up D2 TDMA talkgroups. I'm sure the 436HP has a similar setting on the Sentinel software setup. It's like putting an "A" in the old Radio Shack scanners control Channel to attenuate that. I didn't see if you tried doing this in the posts. Perhaps the 436HP users can comment on how to do this in Sentinel. Hope you get it fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
If you go on the database here on rr.com for STARCOM, print the freqy tower list, program for a tower the "RED" and "BLUE" freqys only, that's the CC=red and alternates in "blue" in case they rotate the CC , the rest are only "VOICE" channels and are not needed.....

KG4SWI

Well, unfortunately, the Sentinel software does not work like I thought. I added a list with just one frequency, the 774.343750 and nothing else. The scanner reports Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan. And won't perform any other function. I don't know why I'm having such a difficult problem with this scanner!!

Voyager

What type of system? If it's trunked, it doesn't have any TGs to scan.

Or, if it's conventional, you likely did not enable the Service Type you set for that frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.