No digital audio on Fleetnet with psr-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudsyjkh

I purchased a psr-800 about a month ago, love the radio!
It works fine for ltr/edacs/analog Motorola...But...I'm trying to receive digital comms for the first time with no luck.
I loaded 1 site from Fleetnet zone 1 (Kincardine), being as that's the closest to where I am currently...I can hear MOH and MTO maintenance just fine, but when a digital OPP tg comes up I just hear what sounds like an open-carrier clicking on and off.
I programmed the system using the library loaded on the radio. I would assume that should have all the correct info since it pulls from the rr db.
I am partially blind and can't read the radio's screen...I did have sighted assistance programming Fleetnet with the radio itself, but I've been able to use EZScan on the computer with my screen-reading software to do everything else.
I'm not sure if someone would just be able to whip up a small EZScan file with that one site in it for me, with all the correct settings, then I could add everything else I want...Or if I could just get a walk-through with what might be up.
Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance guys.
This radio is sure a step-up from the pro-96 I had been using for 11 years.
-Johnny

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I purchased a psr-800 about a month ago, love the radio!
It works fine for ltr/edacs/analog Motorola...But...I'm trying to receive digital comms for the first time with no luck.
I loaded 1 site from Fleetnet zone 1 (Kincardine), being as that's the closest to where I am currently...I can hear MOH and MTO maintenance just fine, but when a digital OPP tg comes up I just hear what sounds like an open-carrier clicking on and off.
I programmed the system using the library loaded on the radio. I would assume that should have all the correct info since it pulls from the rr db.
I am partially blind and can't read the radio's screen...I did have sighted assistance programming Fleetnet with the radio itself, but I've been able to use EZScan on the computer with my screen-reading software to do everything else.
I'm not sure if someone would just be able to whip up a small EZScan file with that one site in it for me, with all the correct settings, then I could add everything else I want...Or if I could just get a walk-through with what might be up.
Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance guys.
This radio is sure a step-up from the pro-96 I had been using for 11 years.
-Johnny

Whats your email Johnny? I have a OPP File for Zone 1 that should work.

sudsyjkh

I just uploaded the file Eric sent me to the radio. (Thank you very much btw), and I am still getting the same issue...Whenever an OPP digital tg comes up, the radio makes kind of a clicking/open carrier noise...It kind of sounds like the LTR control noise, but longer.
This is very strange.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Where did you purchase the radio? Return it if possible/has warranty

I just uploaded the file Eric sent me to the radio. (Thank you very much btw), and I am still getting the same issue...Whenever an OPP digital tg comes up, the radio makes kind of a clicking/open carrier noise...It kind of sounds like the LTR control noise, but longer.
This is very strange.

VE3RADIO

That noise means you are using the wrong software.. is it possible your using iscan instead of ezscan? I had this issue with a PRO-18 and when i used the right software it worked.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
That noise means you are using the wrong software.. is it possible your using iscan instead of ezscan? I had this issue with a PRO-18 and when i used the right software it worked.

The file I sent Johnny worked perfectly for me, I have just actually traded away my 800 to a member on here for a 396XT. I have a 396T that after landing on a digital talkgroup, gets stuck, with static, but all I have to do is move it away from my router and computer. When I had the 800 it worked fine, no matter where it was.

VE3RADIO: Would you like me to email you my V-Folder that I sent to Johnny? I don't think you are going to find any fault with it. It sounds like Johnny might have a dud for a scanner or a setting on the scanner is off.

VE3RADIO

I also dont understand your location, you have listed Ottawa and Rochester.. i go to Ottawa all the time.. I would help you out in person for the price of a XL Double Cream Timmies.. ... or are you in Rochester? Closest I get to Rochester is Buffalo.

Voyager

I have a 396T that after landing on a digital talkgroup, gets stuck, with static, but all I have to do is move it away from my router and computer.

Off on a tangent, but enable the end code detection on the 396T.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
You def got a bad file.. create from scratch it will work.. I have had the same issue and i resolved it.

Wow, assumptions, assumptions.

How can it be a bad file if:

1) It worked perfectly well for me in my 800.
2) You don't have the file, or used the file, or have seen the file.

Maybe his digital settings are off, maybe there is something wrong with his radio or maybe there is something interfering with his scanner. I used my 800 with my laptop with the USB cord connected radio to laptop most of the time. I found that when the USB cable was fully inserted into the laptop when connected to the scanner that the scanner some way would not hear properly, there was something going on and my scanner couldn't 'hear' one of my local fleetnet towers nor would it hear my regions P25 system, loosen the connection a bit on back the laptop and it was fine, plug the cable back in and nada.

So I suggest that John tries that and perhaps this will solve his problem.

VE3RADIO

Wow, assumptions, assumptions.

How can it be a bad file if:

1) It worked perfectly well for me in my 800.
2) You don't have the file, or used the file, or have seen the file.

Maybe his digital settings are off, maybe there is something wrong with his radio or maybe there is something interfering with his scanner. I used my 800 with my laptop with the USB cord connected radio to laptop most of the time. I found that when the USB cable was fully inserted into the laptop when connected to the scanner that the scanner some way would not hear properly, there was something going on and my scanner couldn't 'hear' one of my local fleetnet towers nor would it hear my regions P25 system, loosen the connection a bit on back the laptop and it was fine, plug the cable back in and nada.

So I suggest that John tries that and perhaps this will solve his problem.

I know I am correct because:

1. I tried this with another radio, even sending a perfectly good file that works on one radio will not resolve the problem.

2. He will need to format the card using the prepare the card for use option and then copy the config over.

3. I had this exact thing happen to me twice, right down to the clicking sound, I know this to be a common issue to the point where I would be happy to wager 200 dollars with you Eric.

4. It has nothing to do with your file not being good, rather the profile on his card, if he does what I say and format the card with the tool and starts fresh with a new profile and setup it will work.

5. Care to wager? Ill even offer to buy the radio off the OP at a discounted price if he cant get it to work..

talk about putting my money where my mouth is.

VE3RADIO

Also.. FYI - I just bought a radio of Nova1010 in Guelph with the same issue, guess what I am using it as we speak with no issues..

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I know I am correct because:

1. I tried this with another radio, even sending a perfectly good file that works on one radio will not resolve the problem.

2. He will need to format the card using the prepare the card for use option and then copy the config over.

3. I had this exact thing happen to me twice, right down to the clicking sound, I know this to be a common issue to the point where I would be happy to wager 200 dollars with you Eric.

4. It has nothing to do with your file not being good, rather the profile on his card, if he does what I say and format the card with the tool and starts fresh with a new profile and setup it will work.

5. Care to wager? Ill even offer to buy the radio off the OP at a discounted price if he cant get it to work..

talk about putting my money where my mouth is.

I understand what you are saying but it is not his programming or mine, it is the SD card. Big surprise.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
How's things with you these days John? I never go on the Yahoo Groups since they changed the format. Are you in Ottawa over the next week or two? I may have a chance to swing by if I could be of any help.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Same issue for me with 396XT. Plugged into computer it goes "deaf"

I have some issues with my 396T with static after digital comms, it will stick on the talkgroup with static. I am not sure what Voyageur mentions about the end code will work, it may be just the insane amount of cell and other communication towers that are within 20-50 meters of our apartment.

But the 396XT is cool, no issues, the Home Patrol I had from 2010-2014, no issue, and I can't remember if my 396T I had from 2008-10 did this.

But with the PSR600 I traded away in December, I had to use the Att function in order to scan the Brantford and Cayuga tower. Without it the 600 wouldn't work.

And from August to this weekend, I would be scanning with first the 600, then the 396T and the 800, I would notice that if the USB cable I had connected to my laptop I got in August, if the USB was connected secure there were times that I did not see the "T" on the 800, indicating that it was "seeing" the towers I was monitoring when the 600 and 396T were working fine.

Metrolinx is line of sight as is Charlton, both will come in even without an antenna on the 600 and 396T. So keeping the USB in but loose and the T would appear hence it would scan.

I dunno why this happened and it isn't an issue anymore, aside from having a Pro 2045 that is 17 years old and used generally for T88 and/or conventional activities like air scanning and MOH/ORNGE activities, I am back to my preferred Uniden scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.