Rutland Regional

Status
Not open for further replies.

creeperjeep

Lit GMRS
Has anyone been listening to the old Hubbardston fire channel lately?
I've been hearing testing on 453.8750 both analog, and P25 encryption.

Today I heard what sounded like someone sitting on a dtmf Mic for the entire day.
Kind of weird.

mrsvensven

Was it actually DTMF (dual tone), or just a single tone? That's the new Rutland Regional PD simulcast frequency. They were probably sending a 1KHz tone to calibrate the simulcast. Once this is done they will do the same thing to the 460.2375 fire channel. They posted something about it on facebook a couple months ago.

cmpsa

Rutland also has 453.875 R & mobiles licensed (FCC call sign WQOD998) for P25 (8K10F1E) as well. Any possibility they are running mixed mode.?. I was told they were sold P25/analog mobiles & portables.

Dfgarland

I have been listening to their new frequency and the signal strength is not consistent. Sounds choppy and it never did on their old one. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I have something set wrong? I have the tone at 110.9

cmpsa

Hubbardston Fire used to be PL 110.9, but it was changed 5 years ago now to PL 97.4. They were getting bothered by another user on the same freq that had the same PL tone. So that then when they switched to PL 97.4. I don't know if they (the dispatch center) plans to keep the same Pl tone that Hubbardston Fire had when it was just them on their own channel.?.

aeroguy01

I have been listening to their new frequency and the signal strength is not consistent. Sounds choppy and it never did on their old one. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I have something set wrong? I have the tone at 110.9

I just updated with the new Rutland Regional PD frequency, 453.875, and I agree the signal is appears to picket fence on my hand held receiver here in Gardner as though it were a mobile station. But it occurs with both the mobile units and the dispatcher. If it was the mobiles only I would understand but the fixed base control units shouldn't exhibit any picket fence noise. I'll have to punch it in my UHF ham radio and outside antenna to try and get a better idea of signals.

Would a poorly tuned simucast system exhibit a picket fence or "flutter" signal? My guess is I am mostly receiving the Hubbardston TX site but Rutland TX site isn't out of the question in Gardner with their height. So who knows.

Last edited:

Dfgarland

I recently got a diamond x50 antenna and although it is inside at the moment, it seems like the picket fencing is less. You can still hear it a little but not as bad as the outdoor RS antenna

aeroguy01

So I've listened a bit to the 453.875 on various radios and antennas here in Gardner. It sure does sound like a mobile signal with the rapid picket fencing. On my UHF ham radio and outside dual band antenna at 30 feet I mostly get full 20+ db signal with some signal flutter. On the UHF ham radio handheld inside I see the flutter much more pronounced. I'd almost say its a mobile repeater but haven't heard anything on the input frequency. For the life of me I can't even think what would cause such a fluctuation of a base station on UHF. I checked the line of sight path on Google Earth with an elevation profile. I do have a hill midway between myself and the listed repeater site that is about 150 feet higher. My distance to the site is just shy of 7 mi. That might account for some signal fade but not the picket fencing. This is all assuming I am hearing the Hubbardston site (license KCB364). The mystery continues

creeperjeep

Lit GMRS
I'm just wondering where the focus of the simulcast system would be? Gardner or the Rutland region?
Do you think you can do some testing within the confines of the dispatch area with a narrow IF radio and see if it sounds any better?
I've always noticed scanners sounds like balls with simulcast.
When I'm in the area, I listen with a commercial radio and it sounds great to me.
LMK how you make out.

So I've listened a bit to the 453.875 on various radios and antennas here in Gardner. It sure does sound like a mobile signal with the rapid picket fencing. On my UHF ham radio and outside dual band antenna at 30 feet I mostly get full 20+ db signal with some signal flutter. On the UHF ham radio handheld inside I see the flutter much more pronounced. I'd almost say its a mobile repeater but haven't heard anything on the input frequency. For the life of me I can't even think what would cause such a fluctuation of a base station on UHF. I checked the line of sight path on Google Earth with an elevation profile. I do have a hill midway between myself and the listed repeater site that is about 150 feet higher. My distance to the site is just shy of 7 mi. That might account for some signal fade but not the picket fencing. This is all assuming I am hearing the Hubbardston site (license KCB364). The mystery continues

jim202

What is the possibility that the simulcast system is causing you the problems? Have you tried moving your receive location and see if it still happens. Try going mobile and park and listen. Then move say 100 feet and try again.

Simulcast radio systems take some real skill in the part of those setting them up. If not done correctly, the users will be having problems. If your not hearing the users complaining about the radio system, then I would have to point the finger at either your location, or your receiver is not doing well with the simulcast reception.

It may take a directional antenna pointed at the closest tower to try an limit receiving multiple towers.

aeroguy01

I wasn't sure if there was a Hubbardston TX site yet or not. I was going under the assumption they might have been using the TX site and license under KCB364. As you mentioned the WQOD998 license does not have Hubbardston listed. Barre and Rutland TX sites look pretty similar in distance for me so no idea what I'm hearing. The next time I'm down in that area I'll have to tune in and see how coverage is. I highly doubt they are trying to reach Gardner as their focus area but I'm only 3 miles from the Gardner/Hubbardston line.

creeperjeep

Lit GMRS
I know signal diminishes towards the Gardner line. This will be remedied with the addition of the Hubbardston tower, wherever that may end up.

If I had to use an educated guess, you would be receiving off the Rutland site more than likely.

aeroguy01

I would agree on hearing the Rutland site. I just noticed they have a cardioid pattern at 275 degrees (basically west) and an 8 degree down tilt which clearly puts Gardner on the side of this pattern and at the edge with only 35 watts. I think that explains it. This pattern puts their null right on Marlborough which is also licensed for 453.875.

Status
Not open for further replies.