Itinerant freq 151.625

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Rail grinders? Those are often contractors hired by the railroads to do the rail grinding. Wouldn't surprise me that they are using itinerant VHF frequencies to talk among the crews. An entire consist of rail grinding equipment can be several cars long, so there's logic to using radio for communications from one end to the other.

W9NES

No Sir you do not need to be licensed for 151.625 This is in use everyday. Truck drivers and everyone else is on there. Listen and you will hear a lot. I have a pair of two way portable radios that were given to me from my company about 10 years back and they were going to throw them away. The company was advised by me to look at getting a license and the licensing company here in Indianapolis told them they "did not need a license from the fcc for these" The licensing company should know if someone needs a license.

W9NES

No, You do not need any license for 151.625 this is a temporary freq. A lot of people use it on construction sites, etc. This is a nationwide channel.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Licensing is required on all itinerant frequencies including 151.625

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Me...ortstring=,+lic_name,+file_num&limit_select=4

Itinerant does not mean temporary, it means to travel from place to place. Commercial (Business) radio licenses are only permitted to be used within a certain number of miles from the business or repeater site (home area), if the licensee travels across a broad area (for example the state or country) they can ask the FCC to add itinerant freqs to their license. This allows the commercial licensee to legally use their radio outside of their home area. As you can see by the link I provided above these freqs are popular with construction companies, contractors, engineers, transportation agencies, even commercial radio repair and spectrum licensing firms that travel long distance to setup/repair repeater sites in other counties or states.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, You do not need any license for 151.625 this is a temporary freq. A lot of people use it on construction sites, etc. This is a nationwide channel.

Yes, you do.
Doing a quick'n'dirty FCC license search, there are 7311 licenses for 151.625MHz.

FCC has it shown in the Industrial/Business Pool:
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Needless to say, there are a -lot- of users on this frequency (as well as a lot others) that are either not licensed, or their licenses have long since expired.

Legally, users DO need a license to use this frequency in the USA.
I think you might be confusing this with MURS. 151.625 isn't in the MURS frequency allocations.

rapidcharger

A lot of people think the "red dot" channel, 151.625 is license free because the blue and green dots went to MURS but it does in fact require a license. It does not however require coordination as it is one of the designated itinerant frequencies in the VHF business pool.

Hope that settles it. Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.