Wi-Fi Support Update Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I am going to break a rule by double posting. Some look to the locked "Siren Update" thread in the top-level Uniden forum for official updates. Others look in the main forums. Since you cannot comment back on the top-level Uniden forum thread, I'll post the link both places so that it won't be overlooked.

http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate

Oh, what is it? It is Phase 1 of our app-supporting firmware release. It includes a new version of Sentinel that will apply updates to both your scanner and Wi-Fi dongle, allowing them to be accessed over an internet link. It also includes a PC based remote-control utility and instructions for installing VLC to get the audio stream from the scanner.

Current plan is to incrementally improve the remote control support in 5 phases over the next few months. This gets us to being able to operate the scanner in scanning mode over a IP link. Future updates will add support for additional modes.

unpltd

Thanks for the update, look forward to testing tonight.

One question, Is there any plan to be able to update the database and favorites list from Sentinel over wifi?

Thanks again

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
BEWARE RUNNING THIS UPDATE...

Prior to running this update, both of the BCD536HP's had working WiFi adapters running firmware 5.01...

UPDATE FAILED on the WiFi Adapters, Error Code 4; now they DO NOT WORK at all... Error Code 4 and locked up scanners at the firmware update screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brentorious

Ok, I turn the scanner off and on and this is all that it will do or display. My 536 is completely disabled now. What do I do?

Ok, turned scanner off, unplugged wifi dongle. Turned scanner back on and it said "wifi firmware update, waiting for wifi adapter connection" (or something close) Plugged it back in and update seemed to complete and scanner seems back to functional.

Whew!

wise871

Database Admin
If it's using VLC Media Player I wonder if it will work on Macs or VLC Media Player Smartphone apps. Hmm

Guardian24

Stuck!

Updating wifi firmware failed/
Error code: 0004

Tried unplugging dongle, restarting, then plugging dongle back in. Didn't work
Tried re-flashing firmware. Didn't work

Upman HELP!!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If it's using VLC Media Player I wonder if it will work on Macs or VLC Media Player Smartphone apps. Hmm

I'd suggest that anything which can "play from" a URL will do it - Uniden has just recommended VLC since it's such an easy client to use.

Just put that rtsp:// URL in your app of choice.

For those who don't use it already, if I may make a semi-off-topic comment for a second, you can install and keep VLC updated (along with a slew of other applications) by using a custom installer available at ninite.com. Ninite is a wrapper which packages apps you select into a "batch file" (for those of us familiar with the old ways) and lets you install or update the apps just by running the wrapper. It downloads the latest version of the application and installs it every time you run the wrapper.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Ok, turned scanner off, unplugged wifi dongle. Turned scanner back on and it said "wifi firmware update, waiting for wifi adapter connection" (or something close) Plugged it back in and update seemed to complete and scanner seems back to functional.

Whew! Ok, that's enough of this crap for one day.

I tried this several times and the updates are NOT working on the WiFi adapters, firmware on the scanner updates without an issue. After several reboots, the scanner is at least working again, but nothing for either WiFi dongle.

Guardian24

Found out if you're stuck on the update failed screen, turn off the scanner, unplug dongle, and restart scanner. It will come up with message that it is waiting for wifi connection but just leave dongle unplugged. Eventually it gives up and starts!!

K8cpa-chuck

Okay, I did the upgrade and it worked fine here and even found my wifi... woo hoo! now is the app released yet, so I can listen to the scanner on my android phone?

ChargerSRT8

Premium Subscriber
I've got the remote control test software up and running! Looks good. Hoping for configurable display in future so there can be a bigger Unit ID window.

I did turn on Display SSID on router to find it in the scanner, It may be a requirement, I don't know, but its working now.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I guess some didnt read the directions it states right below the download zip file link this-Note: If you get an error during the WiFi Dongle update, turn off the scanner and unplug the dongle. Then, turn on the scanner and plug in the dongle when the dongle update message appears.

Some on here are just itching to jump down Uniden's throat and blame them when in fact you didnt read the instructions and some assumed another bug.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I guess some didnt read the directions it states right below the download zip file link this-Note: If you get an error during the WiFi Dongle update, turn off the scanner and unplug the dongle. Then, turn on the scanner and plug in the dongle when the dongle update message appears.

I didn't read it intricately because I won't have access to my 536 to do the update until tonight, but in all fairness to those having trouble, I don't think that that phrase was in the original text. It may have been added after they noticed there were problems.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
All working fine here
Thanks

[
QUOTE=ChargerSRT8;2334327]Running in VLC on PC. About a 1-2 second delay, not bad.[/QUOTE]

Tryton

Error Updating WIFI Firmware failed Error code 0004

I have tried twice now to update the firmware with the new software, all I get is that error when I turn it on. I have to unplug the dongle for the scanner to boot. Any help with this error?

Status
Not open for further replies.