Please withdraw my scanner feed application

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8cpa-chuck

I submitted one, a little too quickly.

Turns out the guy that makes ScannerCast is more interested in money, than he is helping people like me out. See here please:
I sent him this:

X-Originating-Email: [thinkingblogger313@live.com]
To: "K1PGV@arrl.net" <k1pgv@arrl.net>
Subject: RE: ScannerCast
Hi Peter,

I have a Uniden BC536HP scanner. If you don't own on of these, you should.

I would love to use scanner cast. But, I'd have to go out and get an audio patch cord. But, if you made some changes to that program for radio reference, I wouldn't have to do that.

This scanner will stream audio via the internet!

See here:

BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

After starting VLC, select the scanner's audio by selecting MEDIA --> Network Stream and then entering rtsp://192.168.1.1/au:scanner.au (replace the IP address with the actual IP address of your scanner, which you can find by MENU --> Wi-Fi Setup --> Show Wi-Fi Information after connecting your scanner to a network or initiating Access Point Mode). Note that the scanner and PC must be on the same network.

Now, if you could figure out a way to have ScannerCast look for that streaming URL (modded for various users of course) and have it send the audio to those who tune into the feed; that would be kick butt! Would save having to hook up audio cabling! The really awesome part is, you can TURN DOWN the scanner and the streaming still carries own, it doesn't depend on the audio out of the speaker jack!

I have a feed application pending, and I might have to withdraw it, if I cannot get that done. I will beta test it for you, gladly! Maybe even get the info from the display to work as well?

Just some thoughts, and let me know what you think!

....and He sent back:

To: thinkingblogger313@live.com; k1pgv@arrl.net
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 22:33:20 +0000

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the heads-up about the BC536HP. Sounds like a cute device.

I have no plans to modify ScannerCast in the near future. Several thousand people use it every day and there are close to zero bug reports. Unless somebody wants to kick-in a BUNCH of money, there&#8217;s very little chance I&#8217;ll be making any more updates. I just don&#8217;t have the time.

Thanks for writing!

VY 73,
Peter
K1PGV

I sent back:

I guess I won't be running a scanner feed then.

He sent back:

To: Patrick Adkins <thinkingblogger313@live.com>
I'm actually thinking of dropping mine, as well. I don't think I've touche=
d it in years.

P
----

So, it looks like I won't be setting a scanner feed. I am not going to tie up a computer like that, it could be done, easily with a good program to snag the audio feed on this scanner. But, seeing everyone wants to be crony capitalists and don't care about the scanner hobby; I guess it leaves me out.

73 and sorry I couldn't help out.

-Chuck K8CPA

Last edited by a moderator:

trumpetman

Database Admin
It has nothing to do with wanting money over helping people.

It's not quite as easy as just slapping a new line or two of code in one night to get a perfect product with no bugs and have it instantly working 100% like you wanted.

At least you got a friendly and honest reply which is more than most get when submitting ideas/update requests to developers.

coolderb

Not sure if I understand the problem here. You would still need a PC to run the Scannercast program to stream the audio from the scanner. Audio patch cords are really inexpensive, Radio Shack clearance stores have them for less than $2.

There is also the Virtual Audio Cable option: Virtual Audio Cable Home Page

The full version of that program is $25-$50.

ScannerCast is free and works great.

K8cpa-chuck

Not sure if I understand the problem here. You would still need a PC to run the Scannercast program to stream the audio from the scanner. Audio patch cords are really inexpensive, Radio Shack clearance stores have them for less than $2.

There is also the Virtual Audio Cable option: Virtual Audio Cable Home Page

The full version of that program is $25-$50.

ScannerCast is free and works great.

The problem is, I would like to be able to use the streaming WIFI feature on this scanner to be able to get audio from the scanner to the computer, without having to use a cable. But, I guess that ain't happening now. As it is right now, this BC536HP will send audio to my android phone via VLC player, I am thinking why not mod ScannerCAST to send that audio back out over it's broadcast system?

But, I guess people ain't interested.

I cannot believe that I've had to explain this 50 flipping million times, are people that dense? Jebus.

K8cpa-chuck

It has nothing to do with wanting money over helping people.

It's not quite as easy as just slapping a new line or two of code in one night to get a perfect product with no bugs and have it instantly working 100% like you wanted.

At least you got a friendly and honest reply which is more than most get when submitting ideas/update requests to developers.

Sorry, but, I call B.S. on that one. it could be done; but the guys not interested. Oh Well, such as life.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Why not pick up some ASM, C++, and C# programming tools, and write it yourself, if it's so simple and easy?

mancow

Database Admin
This really aggravates me. If it's that easy then people should do it themselves. Oh wait, it's not.

fredva

Feed Provider
If it's so easy, then write a small program that intercepts the wifi stream and sends the audio to a virtual cable, and use that virtual cable as the input for ScannerCast. No need to modify ScannerCast, when you can solve the problem yourself.

K8cpa-chuck

Looks like I hit a nerve with someone!

Some anonymous coward sent me this:

Subject: ScannerCast
To: thinkingblogger313@live.com

Before you go trying to smear Peter's good name, you retarded piece of
****, how about you pry your head out of your fat *** and stop being a
little ****. You've got some pair of balls writing the posts you did about
Peter. I've known the guy for years and he is hands down one of THE nicest,
most accommodating guys I've ever had the pleasure to know. You, on the
other hand, are a total scumbag who has a case of entitlement. All you've
done is proven that you have the mentality of a five year old child with
your little tantrum.

-----

WOW! 8-O

Too bad they wouldn't signed their name, so I'd know who was showing their intelligence.

Last edited by a moderator:

K8cpa-chuck

...and with that, I am done with this forum. I'll check in now and again, to see if there's anything new. I don't want to be around such nonsense. Sense of entitlement? Not hardly.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The problem is, I would like to be able to use the streaming WIFI feature on this scanner to be able to get audio from the scanner to the computer, without having to use a cable. But, I guess that ain't happening now. As it is right now, this BC536HP will send audio to my android phone via VLC player, I am thinking why not mod ScannerCAST to send that audio back out over it's broadcast system?

But, I guess people ain't interested.

I cannot believe that I've had to explain this 50 flipping million times, are people that dense? Jebus.

I think Peter was more than nice in his response. So he has other more important things to do in life than modify a program for free so it works on a 536.

Mike

K8cpa-chuck

I think Peter was more than nice in his response. So he has other more important things to do in life than modify a program for free so it works on a 536.

Mike

so, you're the guy that sent the nasty e-mail? Nice to know.

anyhow, I check out the alternative and it didn't work. So, I guess I am done here. Gonna go play radio, too many nasty people in the scanner world.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Could you not setup shoutcast as a relay server and use shoutcast to connect?

That's interesting. I think I want to play with making ProScan/RadioFeed as a relay server for the BCD536HP and throw in text tags and we should be good to go.

RonnieUSA

so, you're the guy that sent the nasty e-mail? Nice to know.

anyhow, I check out the alternative and it didn't work. So, I guess I am done here. Gonna go play radio, too many nasty people in the scanner world.

What makes You think it was him?
Because he call the developer by name, that's just wrong.

KB0VWG

Omg just over a cable????. I use this computer for my scannercast and everything else, and have no issues.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
And why would someone want to tie up a brand new $600 scanner for a feed?

I'm running mine with a PRO-197 and Yaesu FT-8000R that I re-purposed... took 'em out of my old car and haven't found a way to neatly mount them in my new car... so rather than have them sit on a shelf in my garage, they provide my feed... through an old Dell PC that my step daughter said was a POS... but after I issued "format c: /sys" and reinstalled Win XP and Radio Feed it works great for the feed and my weather server.

My total investment in my feed is zero since I'm using all re-purposed equipment. Well, OK, it cost me $1.00 for two 1/8" mono phone plugs to make a Y cable to connect the two radios to one input on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.