Motorola for sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamhere300

Communications-equipment maker Motorola Solutions Inc. is exploring a sale of the company, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The sales process for the company, which makes two-way radios and other public-safety equipment, is in its early stages, the person said. Motorola Solutions, of Schaumberg, Ill., has a market capitalization of about $15 billion.

Motorola Solutions Explores Sale - WSJ

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Not to brag, but I called this about a year ago.
Motorola is it's own worst enemy. Their own atrocious business practices, pricing structure, and the uncertain future of cellular/LTE replacing everything, make it a logical path.

Now the real question is, WHEN the sale goes down, what happens then? If someone like Raytheon buys them, they're done. The future of all those mult-million dollar trunking systems is up in the air. What will our governments do? They'll either find a replacement from one of the few vendors' left at who knows how high a cost, or will they continue to use their then unsupported, orphaned systems and hope for the best while the telecom cartels get 4G/5G/6G ready for prime time for public safety?

Makes you tip your at at those agencies who stuck to their conventional systems (e.g. NYC, Boston, and LA) who didn't get conned into putting all their eggs in one basket.

Interesting days are ahead indeed.

rapidcharger

If someone like Raytheon buys them, they're done.

What makes you say that? Raytheon is one of the top war profiteering Defense Contractors in the world with a lot of clout in government. I think it will be a nice addition to their portfolio of tax-dollar-wasting industries. I hope I'm wrong about this though. I would love to see it crash and burn.

tech020

Lockheed-Martin, United Technologies, Northrup-Grumman, Boeing, Airbus, etc are all candidates to whom 15 billion is chump change. There is still much money to be made off the public safety market.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Maybe Wouxun, TYT, Baofeng, Any Tone will team up, and buy Motorola.:lol:
They might get a few engineering tips.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if Harris since it looks to be pretty profitable with all its government contracts might try to be a huge conglomerate and buy Motorola and it's assets

SCPD

QRT
I'd imagine it'll be someone like raytheon or such to buy and will keep it a separate entity and continue products and support. so the end of current trs is normal any trs now will be obsolete anyway in several years like always. One problem the country faces with a lte interop trs is politics, costs, and eol. All 3 will continue to kill a national true full interop system. Until everyone csn be on same page the trs debacle will continue The next 20 years or more. As for 2 companies coming together I don't see the China markets even touching it. They are Basicslly garage electricians out for sales snd small profit. While they are making a portfolio for self they will never come close to touching /\/\. I do see Harris or icom and kenwood types doing a joint merger buy keeping /\/\ separate from themselves and there own ends separate from another but may incorporate technologies into the /\/\ end if and that's a big if the powers at be allow it which I don't see it happening there's allot mkre to buying thsee multi billion dollar companies then just throwing money and saying I got the deed etc. Allot of hard ball game play behind scenes and such. I'd imagine they'll keep it way it is may change for better or worse but will keep things as is. As for /\/\ I have heard they been developing some fancy new tier radios in the beta end and one feature is full band operation software defined and even complete strapped enc for the next trs gen Models if a customer wants it Hard set. Bigger displays more capacity of flashes and firmware etc. But with a sale out allot can change and be cancelled. There doing allot of lte type and ip router Internet testing into demo models Down to remote video technology from shoulder lapel mics where you tx rx audio but have ability to simultaneously up link audio and video from the shoulder mic such as a dash cam has done all the way to a screen on the portable that accesses the mdt while away from the car or viewing the unit from portable etc with internal cam. Allot of interesting proto types In works Down to aes des key loading from software demos For government.

Last edited:

baycomm

Here are a couple of predictions.

If a big defense contractor buys Motorola:
They pull out of the business & industrial market to concentrate on big dollar public safety & "mission critical" systems.
(Selling $7,000 radios that only cost $300 to build)

If a private equity firm buys Motorola:
Anything & everything that will boost profits, for example moving production to China, outsourcing support, laying off as many employees as possible and maybe even rebranding $16 Baofeng radios so that they can sell them for $99.

jim202

The public safety industry has been going through consolidations for a number of years now. Where there use to be some big name players, they don't exist today. There have been buys of companies like EF Johnson and Vertex recently. The dust hasn't settled on what will become of those brands.

The sale of Motorola Solutions has been inevitable with the way they have been treating their customers for years. They way they sell old systems right up till the day they end of life those systems and the support customers currently get on their trunking systems.

We will just have to sit back and see what happens. The possibility of Raytheon being the buyer is even worse than the way Motorola is currently running the show.

Harris is a good candidate for the purchase. Being that they have some good simulcast base equipment that Motorola has chosen not to update or even consider doing it could be a plus.

As far as the aircraft makers picking up the company, that may be both good or bad. Those vendors didn't do very well on the border monitoring project. So I wouldn't expect them to run a public safety radio company any better.

Time will tell. The only given fact is that there will be people looking for jobs after they get cut loose from the Motorola Solutions group with the sale.

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
Not good for the hobby

This is not good news for the hobby.
When the largest vendor decides to sell, they see something wrong ahead.
They are reaching for the parachute because it's time to cash this one out.
From the business aspect they are valued at around 15 times earnings. This is a typical valuation.
Why would they want to sell?
Re-banding and narrow-banding practically replaced every radio in the country.
After that, where is the growth?
Radio has become a commodity with scratchy walkie talkies on one end with P25 on the other.
Two way radio can't hold a candle to the functionality of todays smart phone. I know phones are NOT mission critical, save the flames, but the functionality differences between phones and two way are becoming more apparent as time goes on. The way people communicate is changing in ways I could have never imagined. I don't think people are aspiring to two way, although it is effective for one to many messages.
What about first net and broadband, perhaps Motorola saw that as what's next and they may not be part of it.
Finally, I read a recent article that the FCC would like to consolidate PSAP's to like three for the whole country. While that is quite absurd, these are all things Motorola might see as reasons to cash out.

It is only a hobby to me, and smartphones are killing my hobby.

THE KING IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE KING!

SCPD

QRT
From the business aspect they are valued at around 15 times earnings. This is a typical valuation.
Radio has become a commodity with scratchy walkie talkies on one end with P25 on the other.
Two way radio can't hold a candle to the functionality of todays smart phone. I know phones are NOT mission critical, save the flames, but the functionality differences between phones and two way are becoming more apparent as time goes on. The way people communicate is changing in ways I could have never imagined. I don't think people are aspiring to two way, although it is effective for one to many messages.
What about first net and broadband, perhaps Motorola saw that as what's next and they may not be part of it.
Finally, I read a recent article that the FCC would like to consolidate PSAP's to like three for the whole country. While that is quite absurd, these are all things Motorola might see as reasons to cash out.

Agree, would never trust phones for critical communications. On the radio (conventional is best) push the PTT and your message goes right out. Good example is a Tornado rolls through town knocking down cell towers and since there are allot of them their chances are good at getting hit. Radio tower and maybe a mobile comm van with a high mast, your still on the air. No agency should not be paying $7,000 or more for one radio, that is ridiculous in my book.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if Harris since it looks to be pretty profitable with all its government contracts might try to be a huge conglomerate and buy Motorola and it's assets

I too would be very interested to see Jonah swallow the whale :)

The ruggedness of a smartphone has been debated in many forums, but in essence, very, very few of the engineers and talking heads who are promoting the matter have ever put on an SCBA. The ones who have, tend to gather in a hotel every quarter and try to hammer out standards-making on the feature set.

What's going on? First, narrowbanding pushed everyone to buy entirely new stuff. That was at the urging of the manufacturers who lobbied hard for the FCC to prohibit simply cranking down the deviation and installing tighter receiver filters. There was absolutely no reason in the world why that would not work for analog FM, aside from the fact that it was a manufactured crisis and the manufacturer in question had the shiny path worn into the carpet at the Portals II. Load has been blown to replace perfectly good equipment with brand new equipment that is functionally no different, and perhaps more limiting. The net effect of narrowbanding on VHF (where it was needed most) was negligible.

Second, the industry and user organizations pushed hard for the D Block and portrayed it as the end-all of needs. The politicians bit - so hard that they demanded a giveback of T-Band from the spectrum neediest of areas. The manufacturers (I'm speaking mostly of one) put up a lukewarm front for this, because they see this as an opportunity to forklift nearly-new T-Band systems for completely new 700 MHz systems, often requiring additional sites and engineering to assure performance to par.

I blame the contemporary desire to make a quick buck at the expense of strategic planning. In fact, I might be as bold to assert that nearly all modern managers have zero ability to develop a strategy and the only thing they know how to do is keep playing Three Card Monte to deliver stupid revenue tricks.

They tanked because they milked the lizard that feeds them once too many times.

The FCC doesn't have the authority to compel there be only three PSAPs in the nation. The idea is also an idiot's delight. One only need appreciate the value of locality when a county can't make calls from one side to another because a fiberoptic cable was dug up in Oklahoma, some 500 miles away.

Last edited:

Blue_Thunder

The Harris Intercour$# Company will not likely pull this off as they already have or had a few statewide systems that do not work up in New England. They are on the really short end of the supplier end of systems. Motorola has the lions share and they are in trouble $$$ wise. The off shore folks cannot produce compatible systems and they are out on the rocky sidelines. This and other issues are why there is NO country wide system compatible systems floating around for local and state governments to get hold of. Yes, cellular phones work way more better, you just cannot to PTT on 99% of them. Such a shame that Sprint took the largest ARPU system in the US and turned it off for 2 LTE Channels that there are no phones that will work on for the near future... And so the exercise goes on....

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The ruggedness of a smartphone has been debated in many forums, but in essence, very, very few of the engineers and talking heads who are promoting the matter have ever put on an SCBA. The ones who have, tend to gather in a hotel every quarter and try to hammer out standards-making on the feature set.

What's going on? First, narrowbanding pushed everyone to buy entirely new stuff. That was at the urging of the manufacturers who lobbied hard for the FCC to prohibit simply cranking down the deviation and installing tighter receiver filters. There was absolutely no reason in the world why that would not work for analog FM, aside from the fact that it was a manufactured crisis and the manufacturer in question had the shiny path worn into the carpet at the Portals II. Load has been blown to replace perfectly good equipment with brand new equipment that is functionally no different, and perhaps more limiting. The net effect of narrowbanding on VHF (where it was needed most) was negligible.

Second, the industry and user organizations pushed hard for the D Block and portrayed it as the end-all of needs. The politicians bit - so hard that they demanded a giveback of T-Band from the spectrum neediest of areas. The manufacturers (I'm speaking mostly of one) put up a lukewarm front for this, because they see this as an opportunity to forklift nearly-new T-Band systems for completely new 700 MHz systems, often requiring additional sites and engineering to assure performance to par.

I blame the contemporary desire to make a quick buck at the expense of strategic planning. In fact, I might be as bold to assert that nearly all modern managers have zero ability to develop a strategy and the only thing they know how to do is keep playing Three Card Monte to deliver stupid revenue tricks.

They tanked because they milked the lizard that feeds them once too many times.

The FCC doesn't have the authority to compel there be only three PSAPs in the nation. The idea is also an idiot's delight. One only need appreciate the value of locality when a county can't make calls from one side to another because a fiberoptic cable was dug up in Oklahoma, some 500 miles away.

As always 902 hits it home!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The Harris Intercour$# Company will not likely pull this off as they already have or had a few statewide systems that do not work up in New England.

Actually Harris has done well with moving out orders for phase 2 in cities like Floyd county, GA, Miami-Dade county, and others. They learned from their mistake that was BrokenSky.

The off shore folks cannot produce compatible systems and they are out on the rocky sidelines.

JVC Kenwood acquired Zetron and now EF Johnson for a reason: they want a piece of the P25/911/dispatch infrastructure pie. Their acquisition of EFJ was strategic: they wanted a P25 infrastructure offering to play with the big boys.

Don't forget about Airbus-DS (formerly Cassidian), they've been having some successful deployments of P25 systems in the USA, albeit their cores are from other vendor's hardware.

This and other issues are why there is NO country wide system compatible systems floating around for local and state governments to get hold of.

Isn't that the promise of the pied piper of FirstNet? But at the end of the day, does a patrolman in Atlanta need to talk to Seattle PD over a walkie talkie?

you just cannot to PTT on 99% of them.

All the reason why the telecom cartels should keep their noses out of public safety communications for mission critical voice until they can get it right, and guarantee things like availability, reliability, and share their NOC's with public safety communications managers so an eye can be kept on them. Good luck!

Such a shame that Sprint took the largest ARPU system in the US and turned it off for 2 LTE Channels that there are no phones that will work on for the near future... And so the exercise goes on....

Ah but Sprint pulled the massive SCAM PLAN to get what they wanted: coveted 850MHz broadband to compete with the "big boys". So what if they had to scrap something that was making money and had 15 million satisfied paying customers? That's just life on Wall Street! BTW, what is Sprint's stock price down to again? Less than $5 a share. Must be working out real well for them!

DPD1

What a shame... Another American icon potentially disappearing. My mom worked for them when I was a kid, as did some other people in our neighborhood. All of that lobbying, and billions of dollars, and it still wasn't enough. I first started scratching my head when they blew off the rail industry, like it wasn't even worth their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.