BCT15X: BCT15X Scans, UI, Sound, Lights work... Deaf as a post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
Bought this BCT15X on eBay in October. Tested fine on Wx. Programmed with Freescan. Programmed fine. Had it on a whip until this weekend, it wasn't getting much (anything?) on the whip. Now its on a new Discone & not getting Wx channels etc. Tested with a whip... Nothing... As they say out here...

Its DEEF!

Suggestions before I consider sending it to Uniden?

kma371

QRT
Put it back on the whip and see if you get anything.

If not then it's the radio. If yes, somethings wrong with your antenna

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Make sure the "fingers" inside the BNC jack are still there, and also not spread apart.

joeuser

The Wretched
I checked inside the BNC connection on the back of the unit, there are two contacts flush with the white plastic deal. They appear to be solid when I attempt to manipulate them with a paper clip...

Also tried FRS freqs, nothing when I xmit right next to it. Won't get the local TRS CC either. Along with the Wx freqs...

Thank you both for those suggestions, appreciate that help & ideas.

Looks like it's time to think about getting it serviced?

joeuser

The Wretched
I did some more tinkering with this scanner. WX scan - happily scans away never picks up a frequency... Close call shows activity on the bar graph but never locks on anything. I even keyed a FRS/GMRS Bubble Pack radio next to it, see the bar rise up but never does anything else. Tried it with a Stormwind radio on a Marine VHF frequency & the same thing... No attenuation in use. In fact, it worked fine for a few months after I got it off eBay but now it seems to be troubled. Rather not spend more $ on it in the Uniden repair shop but if I must... So, any ideas? Anyone, please?

cg

Premium Subscriber
since it is likely off warranty, you could open the case and check if the internal BNC soldering is broken, although this would not be a likely issue if you don't swap antennas out often.

chris

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
I did some more tinkering with this scanner. WX scan - happily scans away never picks up a frequency... Close call shows activity on the bar graph but never locks on anything. I even keyed a FRS/GMRS Bubble Pack radio next to it, see the bar rise up but never does anything else. Tried it with a Stormwind radio on a Marine VHF frequency & the same thing... No attenuation in use. In fact, it worked fine for a few months after I got it off eBay but now it seems to be troubled. Rather not spend more $ on it in the Uniden repair shop but if I must... So, any ideas? Anyone, please?

To clarify, does the radio stop on a signal and the S-meter show signal strength? If so then much of the radio circuitry is working. It is unlikely that the antenna connection is bad if the S-meter works. Is this just a case of no audio coming out of the radio speaker? Does the radio not stop scanning in the presence of a signal? If you set the squelch to zero does noise come out of the speaker?

joeuser

The Wretched
since it is likely off warranty, you could open the case and check if the internal BNC soldering is broken, although this would not be a likely issue if you don't swap antennas out often.

chris

I don't know if that would be the issue. Its getting signals, no voice comes through. Just static. I suppose its worth a try.

joeuser

The Wretched
To clarify, does the radio stop on a signal and the S-meter show signal strength? If so then much of the radio circuitry is working. It is unlikely that the antenna connection is bad if the S-meter works. Is this just a case of no audio coming out of the radio speaker? Does the radio not stop scanning in the presence of a signal? If you set the squelch to zero does noise come out of the speaker?

Nope, never stops on a signal. Therefore no S meter to see - except for Close Call only mode...

Speaker makes alarms noises, keypress beeps, & static. Only plays static in presence of transmissions. Like NWS & automated Wx reporting from airport...

Squelch set at zero stops scan with only static...

See why I'm asking? Its weird...

JamesO

Try the CB band and see if you can pick up anything.

There have been a number of 996XT/15X models that seem to have a mixture short and die in them and they do not pick up anything above like 32 MHZ.

CB and low band usually works fine, but nothing else.

Also make sure you did not have another transmitter near the antenna in an installation that overloaded or damaged a first state amplifier or mixer.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
One further thing to check is the frequency accuracy of the radio. If the radio is off frequency, the window detector will prevent it from stopping on a signal.

Suppose the local weather radio station is on 162.500. Create a conventional system with no CTCSS or DCS tones, attenuator off, priority off, close call off, and no delay. Program 162.485, 162.490, 162.495, 162.500, 162.505, 162.510. and 162.515 into the channels of the new conventional system. Turn the squelch down to zero and manually step through the channels. Is audio heard on any channel? Does the S-meter indicate a signal on any channel?

joeuser

The Wretched
One further thing to check is the frequency accuracy of the radio. If the radio is off frequency, the window detector will prevent it from stopping on a signal.

Suppose the local weather radio station is on 162.500. Create a conventional system with no CTCSS or DCS tones, attenuator off, priority off, close call off, and no delay. Program 162.485, 162.490, 162.495, 162.500, 162.505, 162.510. and 162.515 into the channels of the new conventional system. Turn the squelch down to zero and manually step through the channels. Is audio heard on any channel? Does the S-meter indicate a signal on any channel?

This is a great idea, I tried it but got nothing. I then tried it on & around our local TRS tower CC freq... Nothing... Just static... Great idea though!

joeuser

The Wretched
Try the CB band and see if you can pick up anything.

There have been a number of 996XT/15X models that seem to have a mixture short and die in them and they do not pick up anything above like 32 MHZ.

CB and low band usually works fine, but nothing else.

Also make sure you did not have another transmitter near the antenna in an installation that overloaded or damaged a first state amplifier or mixer.

Brilliant! This is indeed the case. Picking up CB'ers just fine...

I haven't overloaded it, I don't transmit currently. Previous owner, who knows... but it did work fine for a few months...

So since I'm getting those CB'ers & nothing else...

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You say you see activity on Close Call. What bands are showing? Anything other than low band?

joeuser

The Wretched
You say you see activity on Close Call. What bands are showing? Anything other than low band?

I have all ranges on & I see activity on all the bars. Most in the VHF & UHF as I would expect. I think I would see more in the 800-900 range since I have a tower no more than a mile away, if that, for a TRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.