RadioFeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm going to release a new version of RadioFeed within the next few weeks.

Any request or suggestions? Scanners Text Tag support?

RadioFeed currently supports the BCT8, BCT15, BCT15X, BC250D, BC296D, BC346XT, BC346XTC, BC780XLT, BC785D, BC796D, BC898T, BCD396T, BCD396XT, BCD536HP, BCD996T, BCD996XT, BR330T, HomePatrol, PRO-18, PRO-106, PRO-107, PRO-197, PRO-2052, PSR-310, PSR-410, PSR-500, and PSR-600 scanners.

The PRO-18 text tags are not working but they will before the next release.

RadioFeed Setup Instructions - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

an39511

I am not sure if this is possible or if I am understanding correctly but it would be nice if there was a separate lockouts between the public feed vs the private feed.

With public feeds we are not allowed to broadcast TAC channels but with a private feed we could. So if I could lockout TAC channels on the pubic feed I could still get those channels on the private side?

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I've always wanted to see a program that could control multiple feeds at the same time. I provide 4 feeds. I use RadioFeed for the primary feed and Scanner Cast for the others. I'd love to be able to use one instance of RadioFeed to run all four with some type of tabbed interface to switch quickly between them. As it stands now I obviously have to run 4 separate copies of whatever I'm using to stream feeds.

I'd gladly pay for that, incidentally. Thanks for all of the work you do and offer it for free. :) I am a registered user of ProScan also.

exportdawg

I'm going to release a new version of RadioFeed within the next few weeks.

Any request or suggestions? Scanners Text Tag support?

RadioFeed currently supports the BCT8, BCT15, BCT15X, BC250D, BC296D, BC346XT, BC346XTC, BC780XLT, BC785D, BC796D, BC898T, BCD396T, BCD396XT, BCD536HP, BCD996T, BCD996XT, BR330T, HomePatrol, PRO-18, PRO-106, PRO-107, PRO-197, PRO-2052, PSR-310, PSR-410, PSR-500, and PSR-600 scanners.

The PRO-18 text tags are not working but they will before the next release.

RadioFeed Setup Instructions - The RadioReference Wiki

No hope on the GRE 800 ?

exportdawg

I've always wanted to see a program that could control multiple feeds at the same time. I provide 4 feeds. I use RadioFeed for the primary feed and Scanner Cast for the others. I'd love to be able to use one instance of RadioFeed to run all four with some type of tabbed interface to switch quickly between them. As it stands now I obviously have to run 4 separate copies of whatever I'm using to stream feeds.

I'd gladly pay for that, incidentally. Thanks for all of the work you do and offer it for free. :) I am a registered user of ProScan also.

Great Idea about being able to run multiple streams with one copy. I would also pay for that..

KC1UA

Database Admin
Maybe a "RadioFeed Pro" with a price tag for power users. Not being a software writer I have no idea if it's feasible, but I do know that I can run multiple copies of the software to do the job, so why not one program running managing them all?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider

Add me to the list of people who would be interested in such a feature. I'm running only one feed now via RadioFeed, but I plan to add another one in the near future.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Add me to the list of people who would be interested in such a feature. I'm running only one feed now via RadioFeed, but I plan to add another one in the near future.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. It may take 50 hours to do so may be in the version after next as I want to get the next version out in a few weeks. Thanks for not saying "I'll pay for it". A little pet peeve of mine.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Thanks for not saying "I'll pay for it". A little pet peeve of mine.

:confused:

Sorry to ruffle feathers. It seems there are an increasing number of people with a sense of entitlement that are looking for something for nothing. I'll gladly take it for free, but I know you work hard on this software; thus the comment.

So much for trying to be nice about it. Thanks. Having the ability to run multiple feeds from one instance of software will be nice; I'll look forward to it.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
:confused:

Sorry to ruffle feathers. It seems there are an increasing number of people with a sense of entitlement that are looking for something for nothing. I'll gladly take it for free, but I know you work hard on this software; thus the comment.

So much for trying to be nice about it. Thanks. Having the ability to run multiple feeds from one instance of software will be nice; I'll look forward to it.

No problem Scott. Just trying to drop a hint that a simple request or suggestion is all that's needed and stands a better chance of making it in. As you may know, I try to incorporate every suggestion or request that's feasible in my products and there never will be a Pro or payed version of RadioFeed.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Okay, now we are getting somewhere. It may take 50 hours to do so may be in the version after next as I want to get the next version out in a few weeks. Thanks for not saying "I'll pay for it". A little pet peeve of mine.

No problem. RadioFeed is an excellent product. Thank you for providing it! :cool:

johnmac

Feed Provider
Radio Feed questions

I have been using radio feed for a long time to feed two stereo feeds. I also use ProScan to feed another scanner.

When listening via the internal speaker, the audio is slightly delayed from what is coming out of the scanner speaker. Is this normal? Have not noticed this before, as I do not use the computer speakers to monitor the feed. Also, if I use Remote Desktop to access the computer, it puts the audio into a constant repeat of the last transmission until I stop radio feed or reboot.

Along with this issue, I get some kind of loud static from the feed at intervals that are not consistent, it is like a loud short irritating squawk.This interference is coming from both feeds.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have been using radio feed for a long time to feed two stereo feeds. I also use ProScan to feed another scanner.

When listening via the internal speaker, the audio is slightly delayed from what is coming out of the scanner speaker. Is this normal? Have not noticed this before, as I do not use the computer speakers to monitor the feed.

When you say listening through the internal speakers, is that the computer speakers? is the audio routed through RadioFeed with the loopback on? If yes then there will be a slight delay of 200 to 300 ms. How much delay is there?

Also, if I use Remote Desktop to access the computer, it puts the audio into a constant repeat of the last transmission until I stop radio feed or reboot.

Are you using a Media Player same time? What kind of Media Player? I'm thinking that may be caused by a Media Player option. Other then that, I don't know why the audio is repeating?

Along with this issue, I get some kind of loud static from the feed at intervals that are not consistent, it is like a loud short irritating squawk.This interference is coming from both feeds.

Is the static only heard through the Media Player? I'm thinking that the media player using doesn't support metadata (text tags) or only supports metadata at 16 Kbytes intervals.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Did these problems suddenly appeared?

Last edited:

johnmac

Feed Provider
Bob -

When you say listening through the internal speakers, is that the computer speakers? is the audio routed through RadioFeed with the loopback on? If yes then there will be a slight delay of 200 to 300 ms. How much delay is there?

Loopback was checked on one of the feeds, I unchecked and the delay on audio is gone. See below for further question.

Are you using a Media Player same time? What kind of Media Player? I'm thinking that may be caused by a Media Player option. Other then that, I don't know why the audio is repeating?

I am not using the media player to listen. I think it has something to do with "Remote Desktop" as from what I understand, it screws up some of the audio when you connect to a computer that way.

Is the static only heard through the Media Player? I'm thinking that the media player using doesn't support metadata (text tags) or only supports metadata at 16 Kbytes intervals.

Not feeding metadata with these feeds. Metadata is checked "None " on both feeds

Did these problems suddenly appeared?
No it has been going on for some time. waiting to see if the loopback was the problem

One more question - I listen to both feeds via the webserver local url and the "Radiolog " program and there is a delay of at least 15-30 seconds, is that normal? I would think it would be less since it is within the local network or could that be a function of the "Radilog" program.

Thanks for the great programs and help.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob -

No it has been going on for some time. waiting to see if the loopback was the problem

One more question - I listen to both feeds via the webserver local url and the "Radiolog " program and there is a delay of at least 15-30 seconds, is that normal? I would think it would be less since it is within the local network or could that be a function of the "Radilog" program.

Thanks for the great programs and help.

Use the loopback option for testing. Local network or long distance delay can be measured in milliseconds. That will not cause 15-30 seconds delay. The client at the listeners end may deploy a buffer to prevent dropouts and will cause a delay. I'm not familiar with RadioLog but check to see if an option is offered to reduce the buffer / delay. On the static problem, test with WinAmp to see if it goes away.

Last edited:

charlesdotcc

Multiple Stream collation

Well, I've got an idea that's a little out there, but if you're asking, I'll don't mind at least throwing it out there for feedback or what-have-you...

I like to cover rail lines. I can get feed sites from rail fans along the line to cover small sections, but finding one mega-site that covers any great distance is very difficult. So, you end up with a dozen feeds that only cover a small ~10 mile area of track each, and you can't possibly monitor all 12 anyway when you're trying to find a train, or the action. So you end up not bothering.

So, instead, add a feature to RadioFeed that will tag the audio stream with absolute time data read from a cheap USB GPS puck that can be connected to the feed computer. Take that combined audio/time stream and instead of RR, stream it to one master instance of RadioFeed. That master instance has the added feature that it can accept the combined audio/time on a network socket, does the little math to sync the various feeds using the time tagging, digitally mixes the audio, and then just sends that on to RR.

I admit I haven't looked at it too closely, but I don't think the timing has to be all that amazing to get the audio synced up close enough that it doesn't sound weird.

My use-case involves railroads, but I would imagine there are other wide-coverage conventional streams that might be able to use the same strategy.

Love your software, by the way. Thanks for the time and effort you put into it!

-Charles

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Well, I've got an idea that's a little out there, but if you're asking, I'll don't mind at least throwing it out there for feedback or what-have-you...

I like to cover rail lines. I can get feed sites from rail fans along the line to cover small sections, but finding one mega-site that covers any great distance is very difficult. So, you end up with a dozen feeds that only cover a small ~10 mile area of track each, and you can't possibly monitor all 12 anyway when you're trying to find a train, or the action. So you end up not bothering.

So, instead, add a feature to RadioFeed that will tag the audio stream with absolute time data read from a cheap USB GPS puck that can be connected to the feed computer. Take that combined audio/time stream and instead of RR, stream it to one master instance of RadioFeed. That master instance has the added feature that it can accept the combined audio/time on a network socket, does the little math to sync the various feeds using the time tagging, digitally mixes the audio, and then just sends that on to RR.

I admit I haven't looked at it too closely, but I don't think the timing has to be all that amazing to get the audio synced up close enough that it doesn't sound weird.

My use-case involves railroads, but I would imagine there are other wide-coverage conventional streams that might be able to use the same strategy.

Love your software, by the way. Thanks for the time and effort you put into it!

-Charles

I'm not sure I understand. Feed Computer running RadioFeed - > Master RadioFeed ??

Why the master?. It doesn't seem to be a master if the audio stream comes from the feed computer.

Your method would tie up a serial port for GPS and the master has to extract the metadata, process, reinsert, which may cause a time lag.

It would be so much easier to get the time from a web service and insert directly into the audio stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.