Colorado State Patrol (CSP) Vehicle Tracking Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSK

I overheard a CSP unit advise they were placing a tracking device on a stolen vehicle. Has anyone ever heard of this before or know details regarding these tracking devices? I assume they must be GPS based and send status reports via CDMA cell phone towers?

Shawn

Last edited:

Steve2003

MacGyver once hung a paint can with a small hole in it from the back of a car and then followed the paint trail. These days just about anyone can buy tracking devices to make sure their significant other isn't taking a special detour on the way home. A quick Google search will show that most of these require a monthly fee for real-time tracking so I assume they use cell networks (often branded as a tracking company network).

nathancarlson

I do not have any idea what devices they may be using. I do remember seeing (either on TV, youtube, or this site) a prototype for a device that could be launched from a patrol cars front bumper, to propel a dart with a GPS on it to a suspects vehicle That way, they could continue to monitor the vehicle if it isn't yielding, instead of engaging in a dangerous pursuit. It seems like a good idea to me!

I don't know why they would want to track a stolen vehicle instead of just recovering it, unless they are trying to catch the thief in action, or suspect additional crimes. I remember a couple years ago, when some detectives from Longmont were following a car with a lojack hit out of their area, and didn't want any marked cars from the other agencies assisting because they wanted to see if there was more involved (I think it was suspected stolen tools). I am sure they have their reasons.

That is interesting reading on the United States v. Jones. I haven't gotten through it all yet. I wonder if a warrant is needed for all the GPS tracking they use. Seems much more cost effective than having people followed around for a month by a team of people!

SCPD

QRT
Like mentioned above gps tracking is more common these days then you think with tracking of property, persons, and safe guarding little ones. It's a big business.

ScannerSK

I remember a couple years ago, when some detectives from Longmont were following a car with a lojack hit out of their area, and didn't want any marked cars from the other agencies assisting because they wanted to see if there was more involved (I think it was suspected stolen tools). I am sure they have their reasons.

A vehicle with LoJack was located parked unoccupied in front of a house in Denver last night and they wished to catch the suspect. A CSP officer walked over to the vehicle and placed a tracking device on it and then called LoJack to turn off the LoJack signal. I'll limit details as the investigation may still be ongoing.

In some cities tracking devices are thrown into bank bags during a robbery which are tracked via a system similar to LoJack which requires the use of three antennas mounted in a triangle shape on a vehicle (rather than the typical four antennas mounted in a square pattern which LoJack utilizes). I have not noticed any vehicles in the Denver area with three antennas mounted in the shape of a triangle.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.