Finding scanner frequencies for an exact address

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike619

I was wondering how you can find frequencies for an exact location say a business?

Rosie314

Premium Subscriber
I'm very new to scanners. I don't own one yet. But I know you can listen to other cities but I see where people park there towers to lock in frequencies and you mention using close call capture. Does that mean you can't listen to certain frequencies without being in close vicinity or you just lock in to find frequencies ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blackink

I'm very new to scanners. I don't own one yet. But I know you can listen to other cities but I see where people park there towers to lock in frequencies and you mention using close call capture. Does that mean you can't listen to certain frequencies without being in close vicinity or you just lock in to find frequencies ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uniden Close Call explained from the RadioReference Wiki:

Uniden Close Call - The RadioReference Wiki

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
There are several ways to approach this problem, depending on how much time and gas you have. The first, and most obvious, route is a scanner with tone search capabilities. Also, it often helps to establish a basic "perimeter" around the signal by driving certain routes and checking where the signal gets weaker or stronger. Eventually you should be able to discern whether the frequency is coming from a high-powered repeater on a mountain or tall building (obvious); half-duplex base station with simplex mobiles/portables, or 100% low-power simplex.

Sometimes low-power simplex can be the easiest to pin down, because the signal will only be strong when you get real close to the actual radio users. Even with simplex however, you might have a few radios with powerful base stations or mobiles situated some distance away from most of the other radio users.

Status
Not open for further replies.