HP-2 P25 adjustment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

Thanks.
Where I am, adjusting the P25 Threshold Mode and Threshold Level is critical to proper decoding of a p25 phase 1/2 simulcast system on the 436. Manual 7 is the sweet spot.
I tried an HP-1 not long after they were released, and I returned it because it could not decode the audio on this simulcast system - as far as I know the HP-1 did not have user defined p25 settings.
But I love the form factor of the HP, so I may try the Hp-2. I hope it has improved digital decode!
BG..

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Thanks.
Where I am, adjusting the P25 Threshold Mode and Threshold Level is critical to proper decoding of a p25 phase 1/2 simulcast system on the 436. Manual 7 is the sweet spot.
I tried an HP-1 not long after they were released, and I returned it because it could not decode the audio on this simulcast system - as far as I know the HP-1 did not have user defined p25 settings.
But I love the form factor of the HP, so I may try the Hp-2. I hope it has improved digital decode!
BG..

My HP-II decodes digital better than my BCD996XT and BCD396XT.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
So the HP1 does not have a manual P25 adjustment but the HP2 does.?

The HP-1 does have P25 adjustment. Select Menu - then Audio Options . While in Audio Options menu press and hold the right bottom screen. You will see that area change to grey - hold for 2-3 seconds and the P25 Menu should appear. Holding the area once again will add P25 Logging : ON

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'm running Firmware Version 2.06 on my HP-1

That's the problem, Beta FW 2.06.xx for the HP1 is buggy. It times out (maybe on purpose) and stops receiving all signals. It's as if you disconnected the antenna and shorted the input.
There are many comments about that in the official HP1 Beta firmware thread.
Mine runs about 30 minutes before my RF shuts down and I must power cycle the radio.

Also, the HP1 Beta does offer the manual P25 setting but..., it is NOT PER Site, it is radio wide so if you set it at say Manual 6 and also have a site that needs say Manual 11, you are SOL.

The x36HP models as well as the old 3/996T models also offered true manual P25 settings per site. Those are the only models I'm aware of that offer this much needed feature.

So I went back to one of the pre-beta FW versions for my HP1 so I don't loose signal.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
So, why has this adjustment been a "hidden" feature? Did I miss something?
BG..

That feature was only added with the beta firmware of which there were 6 or 7 versions. The feature was not hidden at first but Uniden hid it in at least the last two versions possibly to keep people out of the settings that had not read the thread about the beta.

Read the thread about the HP1 beta firmware and it explains most of what is needed to know.

I'm hoping Uniden is testing and will release an official firmware with the manual settings for the XT series as well as the HP1 based on the reports they received from the beta test.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The XTs already have this setting.

No, not really. The XT's DO NOT have this feature. They have a hidden menu that allows you to "manipulate" the P25 settings somewhat but you still cannot select a fixed (Manual) level of say 6 if you want. They are still in Auto mode. I've managed to get a low level of 8 but I need 5 or 6 for most systems I monitor. The XT's will not do it.
The XT's hidden settings allow you to 'tighten' up the P25 tuning voltage range but it is not the same as the true Manual setting that is in the 996T, 396T or the new x36HP's.

Plus, the XT's hidden menu effects ALL systems (sites) in the radio which is stupid as not all sites will use the same P25 level.

Press the Function knob and Volume knob on an XT and you will see the P25 mode is still set to AUTO (as read in the LCD display) no matter what you did in the hidden menus with the P25 settings.
On an older T model or a new x36HP, AUTO would show MANUAL if in true manual mode.

When I tighten the tuning voltage range in my XT's, that helps my reception of the systems that really like a setting of 6 but the XT will usually only drop to 8. When I try and monitor a Starcom site in Illinois, I must go into the hidden menu again and reset the P25 settings so the XT's will allow the tuning voltage to swing wider and reach a P25 level of 11 which is what the Starcom site wants. If I don't do that, I'm not hearing one particular Starcom site.

On the T's and x36HP's I can set the tuning voltage (P25 level) to the level needed for each site and they work fantastic.

I do not own an HP2 so I don't know if they allow setting a manual level for each site as the x36HP's do or if their P25 setting is radio wide as it was in the HP1 beta firmware's.

Uniden seems insistent on making this AUTO P25 thing work when in reality, it does not work for many. Especially those monitoring simulcast sites. That is where I have found using true manual P25 levels work the best but I have seen the AUTO routine really miss the correct P25 tuning voltage by a large amount on non-simulcast sites as well. It will search out the correct tuning voltage but by the time it finds it, the conversation has ended and you missed everything due to no or very poor decode because of the auto tuning voltage searching out the correct range.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yes - all the XT's have had this since day 1, adjustable on a per site basis (as needed to function well).

The HP 1-2 version was mainly for testing. Since it resets at power cycling it's rather impractical.

Nope, the XT's never had anything more than the "hidden menu" settings but nothing per site.

The T models did have the manual setting since day one. Perhaps you are confusing the T models with the XT models.
The Manual P25 settings were removed when the XT series were released.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Nope, the XT's never had anything more than the "hidden menu" settings but nothing per site.

The T models did have the manual setting since day one. Perhaps you are confusing the T models with the XT models.
The Manual P25 settings were removed when the XT series were released.

You're right (T models with the XT models.) - too many radios :)

kruser

Premium Subscriber
You're right (T models with the XT models.) - too many radios :)

Simple mistake!
I also make them as I also have too many radios. Several dozen or closer to 100+. Not all scanners of course but many are.

It gets confusing when trying to help as I must make sure I'm talking about the correct model.

GrandpaFrank

Can someone please explain a little more about adjusting the P25 decoding levels? Would it help me to receive a channel that I can receive on my Pro-96 but rarely comes in on my HP-1 even when the radios are side by side?

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
The HP-1 does have P25 adjustment. Select Menu - then Audio Options . While in Audio Options menu press and hold the right bottom screen. You will see that area change to grey - hold for 2-3 seconds and the P25 Menu should appear. Holding the area once again will add P25 Logging : ON
Nice find.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Not if it does not hear it at all.

Can someone please explain a little more about adjusting the P25 decoding levels? Would it help me to receive a channel that I can receive on my Pro-96 but rarely comes in on my HP-1 even when the radios are side by side?

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
7 is definitely the sweat spot for simulcast systems. Is there anyway of making this the default setting or do you have to do it every time you turn the scanner on?

Status
Not open for further replies.