Location Based Scanning Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike619

If I do a location based scan with my BCD396XT and if I enter the Lat-Long of a business or location like that would it be easier to locate a system for that business they may be on?

Also is it possible to do that type of scan if you don't have a GPS at the moment?

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
If I do a location based scan with my BCD396XT and if I enter the Lat-Long of a business or location like that would it be easier to locate a system for that business they may be on?

Also is it possible to do that type of scan if you don't have a GPS at the moment?

I do not think so.
Have you tried looking at the database for an area to see if it has the frequencies you want?
And no, for a lat and long scanning you need to have a GPS unit attached to your scanner.

dmg1969

You should have just tacked your new question onto the other thread you started on this subject.

As others have said, go to the FCC database and check. Here is a link to the geographic search. Type in the address and limit the range to 1 mile. That should be a good start.

License Search - Geographic Search

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Any location settings on the 396XT are for GPS use only, as in changing which programmed systems are scanned depending on your location.

It would not search for systems in those locations. It doesn't do location scanning like the HPs do.

marksmith

What is said above is right. Do your location-based searching on the FCC database. Without the national database in the 396 it doesn't do location based search/scan like the HP radios. You need to find the frequencies and systems you want first, add them to the 396 with location coordinates. Then you can location-based scan on the 396.

BCD536HP/HP2/996XT/PSR800/396XT/996T

marksmith

Alternatively you can enter or download all of the systems and frequencies in the atea you are looking for from RR. If you just enter them yourself in freescan, there is a cute little function to set the coordinates and your preferred range for the scanner to activate that system. It uses google maps.

BCD536HP/HP2/996XT/PSR800/396XT/996T

Status
Not open for further replies.