Dumb question about Terre Haute PD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

I've always wondered about this. I have heard them use the phrase, "10-8 M.I.R. literally since I was a kid in the early '70s listening to my folks' old BC3 right up to the present. From context it pretty obviously means, "unfounded," or "no action taken," or similar. The one time I had a chance to actually ask a T.H. Patrol Officer (ca. 1992), he snickered and said, "It means, 'made imaginary report,'" but I'm pretty sure he was joking. Not that it really matters all that much, but anyone know what "M.I.R." really stands for? :confused:

I've always wondered about this. I have heard them use the phrase, "10-8 M.I.R. literally since I was a kid in the early '70s listening to my folks' old BC3 right up to the present. From context it pretty obviously means, "unfounded," or "no action taken," or similar. The one time I had a chance to actually ask a T.H. Patrol Officer (ca. 1992), he snickered and said, "It means, 'made imaginary report,'" but I'm pretty sure he was joking. Not that it really matters all that much, but anyone know what "M.I.R." really stands for? :confused:

M I R = Minor Incident Report.

There must be two forms. A major incident report and shorter form for a minor one.

usswood

actually MIR means Misalliance information required ... which means there is not enough information to write a report or make an arrest! which is their way of clearing a call... Most departments just advise No Law enforcement action taken...

usswood

actually MIR means Misalliance information required ... which means there is not enough information to write a report or make an arrest! which is their way of clearing a call... Most departments just advise No Law enforcement action taken...

Miscellaneous!!! LOL :)

DJ11DLN

Merriam-Webster defines "Misalliance" as "a marriage between persons unsuited to each other".

Been there, done that.

Me too!:roll:

I just thought it odd that you never hear anyone else clear calls that way. Obviously it wasn't losing me any sleep if in 40+ years I never figured it out...now I know. Maybe the cop who told me the "made imaginary report" story wasn't joking after all!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.