Mt Olive Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefjohnson

It will be interesting to see what the timeline to the first phase and the timeline in between the phases are, what the upgrades will be and whether or not they decide to go digital or not. I also wonder if they will be migrating over to their UHF frequencies they are still licensed for ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WPYQ927 - MOUNT OLIVE TOWNSHIP OF - Frequencies Summary. I was told they purchased quantar repeaters and assoc equipment back in the mid 2000's with the anticipation of eventually switching over. UHF is licensed for a low 10w ERP but their existing VHF is only 15w ERP

Sybex7254

Any upgrade will be an improvement, especially the Police who's audio is HORRIBLE. The logical move would be to move to the County system since all surrounding Morris County municipalities are on the TRS, but since Mt. Olive seems like a town that doesn't like to let anything go, I doubt they will. They still have the Lo-Band radios in the cars for crying out loud.

Moving to UHF equipment purchased `10 years ago would be another dumb move too.

I'll just hold my breath and be prepared to shake my head in disbelief when we finally get more information on the plans. :)

Coolant113

Update to this. They are staying on there own system. Upgrading a few of there tower sites as some of them do not work as they were intended, specifically on the lower end of Flanders where the coverage is horrible. They are taking the tower they have on top of the Toys R Us distribution center and moving it to a existing tower nearby. Also they are adding another fire tac channel channel and possibly going to repeat the two tac channels they have now. On the PD side they are adding another PD channel which I believe will be a Tac channel. Something I do not understand as i do not have that much knowledge in this stuff is they are removing off of reliance on phone lines within there radio system which is causing a lot of these radio issues they are having.

res5cue

They are supposed to be going over to microwave links and getting rid of the phone lines wherever possible. Do they have licenses yet for these new tac channels? ?

chiefjohnson

I believe that work is in progress this week. There were some radio checks being done yesterday. I noticed today when their dispatchers key up and speak the repeater kicks for 3-4 seconds just like the units do. Prior to the other day whenever they keyed up it was directly wirelined to the repeater and out over the air with no hang time. The HQ audio sounds a bit more clear now too. Perhaps they adjusted the gain on the comm center mics finally

SCPD

QRT
The reception was real good this morning on the Randolph / Morris Township line, on the portable in the vehicle.

Sybex7254

Reception is improved from the Succasunna/Flanders area but the audio still sucks and sounds like a speaker in a tin can!

chiefjohnson

I've noticed the signal is stronger too. Used to drop out on a CDM1250 around Denville east and now is clear all the way to the top of Rt 280 to West Orange then drops as you descend and shadow down the mountain (normal). They must have started with new antenna's.

Status
Not open for further replies.