Multiple scanners with one antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ645

Premium Subscriber
How do you use one antenna for multiple scanners? I have one rooftop antenna and would like to hook up to my BC536 and 785D

jhooten

Well, I was going to suggest the Pico BUT looking at the current specs they are now filtering out a good bit of the LMR spectrum the old one (pre HDTV) let pass. I'll do some looking and see if I can find something current that will work.

Ok, Pico makes a 20 db in line Satellite amp that covers 40-2150 mhz. http://www.picomacom.com/_docs/_data_sheet/LA-2150_DS.pdf
you would want the LA2150-A. You would also need a power inserter to add 12 to the coax and the blocking capacitor to stop the DC at the antenna side connector.

Last edited:

Voyager

Stridsberg is a very well known mullticoupler that has a built-in preamp for loss compensation. That's if you want to do it technically correct.

But, cheap and dirty simple "tee" splitters will often work, as will cable splitters even though they are 75 ohm. Preamp not required. There will be a slight loss, but not enough for most people to notice. Biggest issue here is receiver cross-interference which the multicoupler will attenuate (and so will the cable splitter to a point).

If using any splitter (minus the tee), make sure it's made for the frequency range of interest.

rwier

Jerry,

Thanks for the information. Any recommendations on amp and splitter?

Between the antenna and the scanners, I use the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Amplifier-Internet-Signal-Booster/dp/B001EKCGT8

which almost doubles the "red" Strength Meter in the HP-1 (E).

Be advised that the threaded connections are of a type not usually found at the ends of antenna cables. To avoid the cost of multiple "adapters", I purchased a cutter/stripper/crimping tool, and a bulk box of suitable connecters. The HP-1(E) allows checking of the connecter installations, as a "bad" job shows up instantly.

Also, be advised that this item is powered by a wall wart, so I installed an inverter in my vehicle.

Was it worth it? A resounding YES! And this is only because of the HP-1(E) Analysis features. This set up allows me (if desired) to listen to four different brand/model scanners at once, with all performing FAR superior on the Phoenix PD (RWC) System than any one of them did prior to the acquisition of the "E" for the HP-1.

This simply flies in the face of “conventional wisdom” which says “boost the signal, you boost both good and bad, therefore no benefit”.

ecps92

HP-1 (Home Patrol) with Extreme

Extreme Update and Upgrade Released

Extreme Features
Complete programming with the scanner lets you edit existing systems in Favorites Lists and create new systems without the software
Trunked System Load/Reception Status tool
EDACS/LTR LCN Monitor
Current Trunked System Activity Log
Talk Group Converter for P25/Motorola DEC to HEX and EDACS AFS to DEC
EDACS/LTR LCN Finder
A RF Power Plot
Band Scope Mode
Raw Data Output
Trunking Discovery monitors system traffic on a trunked radio system to find unknown IDs and automatically records audio from and logs new channels for later review and identification
Conventional Discovery searches a range of frequencies to find unknown frequencies and automatically records audio from and logs new channels for later review and identification
A Limit Search to search a range of frequencies for activity

What is an HP-1(E)?

Status
Not open for further replies.