Nevada Hp in the Las Vegas area

Status
Not open for further replies.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
I went on my occasional trip to Ely which takes me through Las Vegas. I was not able to hear any communications on the NHP talk groups on the Nevada Shared System until I was northbound from I-15 east of Las Vegas. I was using my uniden 536 with the latest data base. I was wondering what had changed?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I went on my occasional trip to Ely which takes me through Las Vegas. I was not able to hear any communications on the NHP talk groups on the Nevada Shared System until I was northbound from I-15 east of Las Vegas. I was using my uniden 536 with the latest data base. I was wondering what had changed?

What was your range set to? Did you have a gps attached? Some of these things might have happened and that's why you didn't hear much? These scanners are a little too smart some times. Traveling you have to keep updating position or zip codes, or attach a gps.

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
Theres an Issue with the Nevada Shared System on 536's in southern Nevada. The talkgroups are geo located near Carson City for the Highway patrol so your about 200 miles short on range when its set to 50 miles. You have to make a favorites list and edit the locations of the talkgroups for it to work right. This is actually true for several large area trunked systems in the western US. I've found about 20 by accident.

com501

On Nevada's system, the talkgroup shouldn't be part of the site equation. The sites change but talkgroups may be common for many hundreds of miles. I can switch my radio here in Reno to LV1 and it will affiliate and bring up the Las Vegas NHP talkgroups. Ideally, you should put in the talkgroups you are interested in, and geo locate the SITES where you are travelling. That's how the actual EDACS radios do it.

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
com501 , The Uniden 536 wont let you do that. That's what I do with my 15x. the 536 makes you geolocate either both or neither, and not geolocating sites means you don't hear much at all due to the large number of channels being scanned. Its a problem in NV, UT, WY, CO and almost every large multi site trunked system in the areas I drive. I enjoy being able to listen to LV4 and Reno1 when cruising across 80 or in the middle of nowhere on 95 or 93.

com501

That's pretty lame and short-sighted on the designer's part. Time to buy a cheap EDACS radio and program it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.